L85A2 Changes to match actual rifle

DaUGhostrider
IL Enlisted: 2011-10-26
2013-11-24 15:15
So I found out that the L85A2 is open for use. I unlocked it and played a few rounds using it.
(TL;DR found at the bottom of this post)

I immediately noticed a few things that can be changed, while maintaining a proper rifle with proper balancing.
Here are some key facts about the L85A2 IN GAME:

- It has a rate of fire of 800 rounds per minute, the 3rd highest between the fully automated rifles.
- The recoil is low to moderate (for comparison, the M416 has moderate recoil)
- Is below average accuracy.
- Reload time is very high, among the highest in the assault kit, both empty and chambered).
- Does not have an underslung rail.
- Does not have an unlockabale SUSAT sight.

In comparison, I will use actual L85A2 specifications:

- Between all the SA-80 variants, the rate of fire scales between 610-775 RPM, while the standard L85A2 has only 650.
- Since it is a Bullpup design (meaning the feeding action occurs behind the trigger), this gun does has moderately low recoil.
- Known for its high accuracy, and is usually paired with a high magnification weapon sight.
- Many armies around the world adopted this weapon as their primary rifle.
- Has an option for an underslung rail, to which is possible to attach a grenade launcher (ie the H&K AG36, see picture http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/c/c1/Operation_Red_Dagger_01.JPEG). [upload.wikimedia.org]
- Come with a standard SUSAT sight (see picture http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/0/0f/Susat1.jpg). [upload.wikimedia.org]

Where am I going with all of this?
The L85A2 design in BF4 needs changes, here are some suggestions:

- Lower the rate of fire from 800 to 700-750 (725 being the ideal number, also better matching to the actual rifle)
- Increase accuracy slightly, to to match actual rifle.
- Decreasing the reload time.
- Adding and undersalung rail.
- Adding an unlockable SUSAT sight.

I found that this rifle was quite fun to use, up until the point where I had to reload. The reload speed was unbearable, especially when the chamber is empty. I suggest lowering the RoF but to compensate for that, decreasing the reload time would by suffice.
This rifle has a visual design that conflicts with the way it operates and functions - the rifle visually looks sleek and clean, and should be able to hit the target even on high ranges, but performs badly in terms of accuracy.

Tl:DR - Main issue - Lowering the rate of fire and decreasing the reload time (to compensate for the RoF lowering and to match real world rifle). Secondary - Improving accuracy and adding an undersland rail.

Thank you for reading.
godhand9869
GB Enlisted: 2011-10-27
2013-11-24 15:24
I don't know why you would want the reload time decreased. Have you ever used one in real life? It's ergonomics are all to shit, nuts a badly thought out weapon system, and I can't wait till we chuck it for something a bit more modern
DaUGhostrider
IL Enlisted: 2011-10-26
2013-11-24 15:40
Most of my friends in the army said, and I quote "ok I guess", but thats what usually happens after you carry around a rifle for 2 years. Personally I'm tired of the Tavor's and M16's, so you get the comparison. The basic reload time is something that I find annoying and appalling, and the rate of fire is really high, even to a state where I find it to be too much (especially as an HC player). It also unnatural on a 5.56mm rifle.
doktorvonwer
GB Enlisted: 2011-10-28
2013-11-29 20:49
Actually, I thought it already WAS 700 in-game.