Users on 32-bit operating systems have reported problems with installing the Battlelog web plugin and using Google Chrome. We're working to have this issue resolved before the end of the week. Affected users are encouraged to temporarily use another web browser.

L85A2 Changes to match actual rifle

DaUGhostrider
IL Enlisted: 2011-10-26
2013-11-24 15:15
So I found out that the L85A2 is open for use. I unlocked it and played a few rounds using it.
(TL;DR found at the bottom of this post)

I immediately noticed a few things that can be changed, while maintaining a proper rifle with proper balancing.
Here are some key facts about the L85A2 IN GAME:

- It has a rate of fire of 800 rounds per minute, the 3rd highest between the fully automated rifles.
- The recoil is low to moderate (for comparison, the M416 has moderate recoil)
- Is below average accuracy.
- Reload time is very high, among the highest in the assault kit, both empty and chambered).
- Does not have an underslung rail.
- Does not have an unlockabale SUSAT sight.

In comparison, I will use actual L85A2 specifications:

- Between all the SA-80 variants, the rate of fire scales between 610-775 RPM, while the standard L85A2 has only 650.
- Since it is a Bullpup design (meaning the feeding action occurs behind the trigger), this gun does has moderately low recoil.
- Known for its high accuracy, and is usually paired with a high magnification weapon sight.
- Many armies around the world adopted this weapon as their primary rifle.
- Has an option for an underslung rail, to which is possible to attach a grenade launcher (ie the H&K AG36, see picture http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/c/c1/Operation_Red_Dagger_01.JPEG). [upload.wikimedia.org]
- Come with a standard SUSAT sight (see picture http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/0/0f/Susat1.jpg). [upload.wikimedia.org]

Where am I going with all of this?
The L85A2 design in BF4 needs changes, here are some suggestions:

- Lower the rate of fire from 800 to 700-750 (725 being the ideal number, also better matching to the actual rifle)
- Increase accuracy slightly, to to match actual rifle.
- Decreasing the reload time.
- Adding and undersalung rail.
- Adding an unlockable SUSAT sight.

I found that this rifle was quite fun to use, up until the point where I had to reload. The reload speed was unbearable, especially when the chamber is empty. I suggest lowering the RoF but to compensate for that, decreasing the reload time would by suffice.
This rifle has a visual design that conflicts with the way it operates and functions - the rifle visually looks sleek and clean, and should be able to hit the target even on high ranges, but performs badly in terms of accuracy.

Tl:DR - Main issue - Lowering the rate of fire and decreasing the reload time (to compensate for the RoF lowering and to match real world rifle). Secondary - Improving accuracy and adding an undersland rail.

Thank you for reading.
godhand9869
GB Enlisted: 2011-10-27
2013-11-24 15:24
I don't know why you would want the reload time decreased. Have you ever used one in real life? It's ergonomics are all to shit, nuts a badly thought out weapon system, and I can't wait till we chuck it for something a bit more modern
DaUGhostrider
IL Enlisted: 2011-10-26
2013-11-24 15:40
Most of my friends in the army said, and I quote "ok I guess", but thats what usually happens after you carry around a rifle for 2 years. Personally I'm tired of the Tavor's and M16's, so you get the comparison. The basic reload time is something that I find annoying and appalling, and the rate of fire is really high, even to a state where I find it to be too much (especially as an HC player). It also unnatural on a 5.56mm rifle.
doktorvonwer
GB Enlisted: 2011-10-28
2013-11-29 20:49
Actually, I thought it already WAS 700 in-game.