Lag compensation and how it looks (video)

Weas1974
SE Enlisted: 2011-10-27
2013-01-12 11:48
Hi gamers!

I decided to make another input on lag and how it ruins the game, this time with a youtube vid from leblackdragon´s channel.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rc5o-b6zsYo [youtube.com]

One thing I think I noticed on BF3 is that as soon as one ore more players aim at you, or start shooting (i dont know witch), its like you almost freeze and cant move, then you die the next instant. Probably lag compensation from their clients, I am getting moved "back in time" to where I was on client side. It doesnt feel fair to me since some "god force" freezes me in time and space. This is especially obvious on low ping servers or low pinging players (anything below 4/5 bars).

I wonder how much info is actually pushed between server and a single client. How high ow low bandwidth do you really need got have a "good enough" experience. This question is especially important on console versions, since we cannot se ping a s a number, as the PC guys do. Also PSN apparently limits the bandwidth for each client (thats why we dont have more then 24 players)

This diskussion makes me more and more frustrated that there is no way I can be sure to play on a server with the best chance of having a good game, lag wise. Even if I´m ok, there might be some Asian guys on there, or Arabic or even Australian ;)

There NEEDS to be some kind of ping criteria on the server, so the owner can see, kick, ban or automatically cancel low pinging guys from entering. This is not a new request, I´m just bumping the suggestion here.
tarydium
NZ Enlisted: 2011-10-27
2013-01-12 11:55 , edited 2013-01-12 11:56 by tarydium
all relative, wont be changed/fixed for the remainder of BF3's life.

client side hit detection is the problem

perhaps wish for better netcode in BF4?
wrfksdfksvkjsgfj
Enlisted: 2013-01-07
2013-01-12 11:59
I find it very frustrating when some guys take 5 bullets to die and some take 2 clips...
sgtGanGreen
BA Enlisted: 2011-11-18
2013-01-12 12:10
I never ever had problems with lag in this game and lag compensation is in games since counter strike.
If you want to test how much bandwith it uses make your PC as bridge, you need 2 network cards, and plug your console in PC.
Then find program for tracking bandwith and ip address, there is a bunch, I use SmartSniff

I tested it for myself, battlefield uses 10-12 kb/s bandwith per player, and that is sent and recived data, that is realy low, you just need stable and good connection to play this game, you don't need high bandwith
Weas1974
SE Enlisted: 2011-10-27
2013-01-12 20:02
sgtGanGreen said:
I never ever had problems with lag in this game and lag compensation is in games since counter strike.
If you want to test how much bandwith it uses make your PC as bridge, you need 2 network cards, and plug your console in PC.
Then find program for tracking bandwith and ip address, there is a bunch, I use SmartSniff

I tested it for myself, battlefield uses 10-12 kb/s bandwith per player, and that is sent and recived data, that is realy low, you just need stable and good connection to play this game, you don't need high bandwith

That is some good info.

I dont have the setup to test. Under what conditions did you get these numbers? It is in critical conditions I´m curious about, explosions, demolition, multiple enemies shooting at same target, jets and choppers, tanks and jeeps etc. You are saying that the total amount of data being transferred under a full multiplayer game is just over 10Kb/s. THen why don't they utilize more?

All the talk about PNS limiting the bandwidth? They actually limit it at those levels?
If the bandwidth is not the problem, what is?
AntiMatterRifle
GB Enlisted: 2012-08-22
2013-01-12 20:06
Thats very nice,you deserve a OBE for your work
Veni, Vidi, Vici
1Mikucki
US Enlisted: 2012-06-05
2013-01-12 20:17
m16 noob
FuGaZi697
GB Enlisted: 2011-10-28
2013-01-12 20:21
wrfksdfksvkjsgfj said:
I find it very frustrating when some guys take 5 bullets to die and some take 2 clips...
I like computer games so I am a nerd
Love_Island
US Enlisted: 2011-12-27
2013-01-12 20:30
when it took five shots on your screen, but looked like you one-shotted him on your enemy's screen -- that explains a lot. There are times where I get "one-shotted" by someone using an M1911, and it isn't even a headshot. Checked the person's B-Log profile, turns out they were from Italy.

At least now I know I wasn't OHK'd, but still, stay in your regions. It's so ass-backwards that people who play out of region get an advantage. I'm aware of this and I don't abuse it because that's just lame.
JBModz1
US Enlisted: 2011-10-27
2013-01-12 20:40
if they remove lag compensation it will force players to stay in their region. theres no way to know hogood you are since we are not playing at the same time anymore. ya i shot you first before you even turned around but i'm dead because i am shooting at a "replay" of what you did 2 seconds ago, not fair. it seems the better connection and speed you have the worse the lag is. i slow my internet down when i play just to make it close to even.
50/25 FIOS in Florida ---- Controllermax.com full button mapping on ps4 --- Netcode "fix" that works: http://youtu.be/CKv6ty-cYIE --- Kontrol Freeks are worth every penny
kulmason
CA Enlisted: 2011-12-26
2013-01-13 01:07
Why did DICE even bother implementing Client-Side Hit Detection in BF3? Is it much cheaper to implement in the game than Server-Side Hit Detection?
Hope naval combat isn't just limited to attack boats and transport boats. That means bring in controllable battleships, aircraft carriers and submarines.