Bf4, the attack helicopter, and YOU

El_Monster029
US Enlisted: 2012-03-17
2013-06-15 04:05 , edited 2013-06-20 07:56 by El_Monster029
I love the fact that the helicopter is a mainstay in the battlefield games, because there really aren't very many other games that let you control these things in such a satisfying way.

But I gotta say the heli as is in bf3 is so much less than what it could be. I hope bf4 will address at least a few issues....And the gameplay footage I've seen so far hasn't answered my questions

1. The first thing that needs to be fixed is the maneuverability of these things....and that ties into the physics engine too

Watch this video from the 1:45 mark to 2:05:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=JxsV6pDhdTQ [youtube.com]

Yes, I realize that's an Apache, but I know for a fact that the Havoc is just as maneuverable as the Apache and I would be stunned to find out the Viper can't do the same stuff.

I want to be able to do barrel rolls and back flips! It would make dealing with jets soooooooo much easier. Also heli v heli battle's would be that much more intense :)

And as for the physics: the heli shouldn't just FLOAT down like a piece of paper when you switch to the gunner seat! If Dice fixes the physics around the helicopters to make them drop like a rock when the engine cuts out (AS IT SHOULD!!!!) then that would get rid of all the seat switchers out there. Auto rotation only occurs if the rotors are held at a very specific angle. And if you're sitting in the gunner seat guiding the tv then you aren't doing anything with the rotors now are you? Hopefully that would mean more pilots that know what they are doing instead of tons of "pro" gunners who seat switch all day.

2. Give us below radar back! I agree that gunner flares were ridiculous from the start, I was one of the people who said it needed to go! But below radar vs stingers? No, that is not cool. It's precisely because of that reason that you have seen some crews hover camping a million meters from anything that can touch them!

Below radar will cause more aggressive behavior from pilots of that I will guarantee you and thus how do you take them out? You have to grab some skill and hop in a tank/AA. Or whip out the ole rpg and AIM!

3. TV missile needs to have its glitches fixed. I'm happy to say that the TV teamkill glitch is indeed fixed (only one year later...) But many glitches remain. Mainly in regards to hit detection. I can't tell you how many jets/heli's/tanks I've hit with tv to have nothing happen not even hit markers.

Also sometimes when the gunner shoots the TV missile the heli freaks out like its hitting something mid air and can often cause the pilot to crash if they are close to the ground....its really annoying >.<

I'm just hoping hit detection issues won't be an ongoing problem in bf4....

4. ECM has just as many bugs as tv. I can't tell you how many times I've popped my ecm BEFORE being locked only to find that there is now a missile on the way and my ecm cloud will most likely run out before the missile gets there. Also missiles will just totally ignore the ecm 3/10 times.

ECM is just very unreliable atm....you never know what the hell its going to do :/

/rant
The_Zehq
AU Enlisted: 2011-11-16
2013-06-15 04:11
This is going to get locked for profanity however I agree on most parts... except I like solo TVing. :3
huetothehuetothehue
El_Monster029
2013-06-15 04:32
Lol I said 2 curse words....I edited them out since you are probably right....
MackTKau
AU Enlisted: 2011-10-27
2013-06-15 04:38
If the TVGM is fail like Bf3, then I won't be bothering to gun for them.

Fix the TVGM to be like Bf2.
Nerf Jets and the Jet Scrubs who fly them.
Dauntless__vK
US Enlisted: 2011-10-26
2013-06-15 05:16
yup, choppers need to barrel roll in BF4. If only for the sake of TVing top-downing jets.
http://youtu.be/pBCJ3pobMF4 <-- Down the Road :: Solo Chopper fragvid
snoopy745
US Enlisted: 2012-10-27
2013-06-15 05:55
It'll be nice to know that when I fire my M1911 at a chopper hopelessly in my rage, it has a 0.1% chance of destroying it.
El_Monster029
2013-06-16 03:06
Dauntless__vK said:
yup, choppers need to barrel roll in BF4. If only for the sake of TVing top-downing jets.

Absolutely! that would be so epic :)
Crazinski
Enlisted: 2012-03-30
2013-06-16 03:12
the engine has nothing to do with the flight physics, I never was sure why people even gave a damn about the engine without having any understanding of what it is.

anyway, yes roll and ptich caps need to go, fire and forget weapons need to be reformed, and autocannons and HMGs should be the primary AA weapon. I'd rather TOW missiles instead of TV missiles, but really if the thing stick around yes it dose need to be fixed.
El_Monster029
2013-06-16 03:15
Crazinski said:
the engine has nothing to do with the flight physics, I never was sure why people even gave a damn about the engine without having any understanding of what it is.

anyway, yes roll and ptich caps need to go, fire and forget weapons need to be reformed, and autocannons and HMGs should be the primary AA weapon. I'd rather TOW missiles instead of TV missiles, but really if the thing stick around yes it dose need to be fixed.

I just don't think the TOW would be a worthy replacement for the TV. Not unless they make the TOW fly a hell of a lot faster...and if they did that then it would be a hell of a lot harder to control xD
Crazinski
Enlisted: 2012-03-30
2013-06-16 03:19 , edited 2013-06-16 03:19 by Crazinski
El_Monster029 said:
Crazinski said:

I just don't think the TOW would be a worthy replacement for the TV. Not unless they make the TOW fly a hell of a lot faster...and if they did that then it would be a hell of a lot harder to control xD

sure make it deal the same damage as the TV maveric and kick up the speed, it would be fine. yes it would be more difficult to control which is fine, however it would allow the gunner to be aware of something other than the missile it self.

personally I found the TV missile silly, it was easy to avoid in choppers, fighters and even tanks if you were aware of it.For me it was just rockets and autocannons
V1k1n6-666
US Enlisted: 2011-10-24
2013-06-16 03:19
Yep... Heli needs to fly to space and kill jets... I totally agree. You don't even have to control the heli... it must do everything by itself.

Please guys go play some BF2 and see how its balanced. The Heli is a death machine if used properly but spawncamping is really dangerous and jets are your nemesis. Get over the fact that THERE WILL BE A NEMESIS to any vehicle! Jets kill helis kills tank kills aa kills jets.
El_Monster029
2013-06-16 03:23
V1k1n6-666 said:
Yep... Heli needs to fly to space and kill jets... I totally agree. You don't even have to control the heli... it must do everything by itself.

Please guys go play some BF2 and see how its balanced. The Heli is a death machine if used properly but spawncamping is really dangerous and jets are your nemesis. Get over the fact that THERE WILL BE A NEMESIS to any vehicle! Jets kill helis kills tank kills aa kills jets.

I don't think you understand the argument here buddy.....

Of course the jet will always dominate the heli....that's obvious. But there is literally no reason that the heli shouldn't be able to do barrel rolls. That would in no way shape or form make the heli unbalanced it would just give the pilot one or two more options....like it was in bf2
ForKarjnMyLove
VN Enlisted: 2012-02-08
2013-06-16 03:27 , edited 2013-06-16 03:29 by ForKarjnMyLove
everything in BF series is so much less than in real life because BF3 is game

if i dont wrong BELOW RADAR only Effect with RADAR like air radar or radar guilded missile

Stinger / Igla of infantry or AA missile in vehicle in BF3 all of them is heatseeker missile
AirBorn_08
CA Enlisted: 2011-10-26
2013-06-16 03:36
You wanna do barrel rolls? Go play Flight Simulator. This is a war game, and the helicopter does what it NEEDS to do - shoot guns and fly well enough to be FUN. Not a helicopter simulator.
Captain Sacha 81st Canadian Airborne
SexyManPoze4Lif3
US Enlisted: 2012-07-15
2013-06-16 03:37
Captain_Tasevski said:
You wanna do barrel rolls? Go play Flight Simulator. This is a war game, and the helicopter does what it NEEDS to do - shoot guns and fly well enough to be FUN. Not a helicopter simulator.

Barrel roles = fun
"If you follow the philosophy that the number of changes dictates the greatness of a game, then frankly, you are very stupid." ~ShapelessHorr0r
V1k1n6-666
2013-06-16 03:38 , edited 2013-06-16 03:40 by V1k1n6-666
El_Monster029 said:
V1k1n6-666 said:

Of course the jet will always dominate the heli....that's obvious. But there is literally no reason that the heli shouldn't be able to do barrel rolls. That would in no way shape or form make the heli unbalanced it would just give the pilot one or two more options....like it was in bf2

If they bring back Helis and Jets from BF2 I'm the happiest man on earth. Limited ammo, limited health, to repair you have to land, free fall bombs, tv kill on one shot on armour, barrel rolls for everybody!

I'm not the only person that thinks they should bring back BF2 on Frostbyte 3.

I hate the sluggish gameplay that jets have in BF3. Slowing down to 10 knots to kill with cannon shots and rocket pods... HORRIBLE.
ForKarjnMyLove
VN Enlisted: 2012-02-08
2013-06-16 03:43
many peoples will cry so much if Heli and Jet get limited ammo and lost auto health regen
SexyManPoze4Lif3
US Enlisted: 2012-07-15
2013-06-16 03:44
V1k1n6-666 said:
El_Monster029 said:
V1k1n6-666 said:

If they bring back Helis and Jets from BF2 I'm the happiest man on earth. Limited ammo, limited health, to repair you have to land, free fall bombs, tv kill on one shot on armour, barrel rolls for everybody!

I'm not the only person that thinks they should bring back BF2 on Frostbyte 3.

I hate the sluggish gameplay that jets have in BF3. Slowing down to 10 knots to kill with cannon shots and rocket pods... HORRIBLE.
"If you follow the philosophy that the number of changes dictates the greatness of a game, then frankly, you are very stupid." ~ShapelessHorr0r
V1k1n6-666
2013-06-16 03:46
SeptemberSnow said:
many peoples will cry so much if Heli and Jet get limited ammo and lost auto health regen

TV guided one shots anything, unguided bombs take skill to hit but one shots armour and splash damages infantry (so guess what? When you see a heli or a jet you TAKE COVER)... I'll trade BF2 jets with BF3 jets alllllllllll the time.
El_Monster029
2013-06-16 06:01
Captain_Tasevski said:

I don't see how you think adding a simple mechanic like barrel rolls would somehow kill the arcade feeling the choppers have....if anything it would make them more fun.....

Also I feel like that would potentially make the heli's require more skill to fly. Since it would be possible to invert but if you don't keep your momentum going to complete the roll you would just drop like a rock and esplode.