Guide: How to Fix Low FPS - Stuttering - Lag

RiskySash
Enlisted: 2011-10-25
2011-11-02 23:53
I gathered this info from various threads, so thanks everyone for finding this out and sharing.

My issues from start and solutions:

A. BF3 says it needs to update, but it is up to date resulting in loop to store --> Solved by clean reinstall of origin and redownload including deleting all bf3 beta files.

B. Getting kicked by admin within 1 min --> Punkbuster fix.

C. Getting stuttering and low FPS fix:
0. Increase your windows page file. Right click computer -> properties -> advanced system settings -> advanced -> performance settings -> advanced -> virtual memory change -> custom size --> follow your recomended settings (mine is 9,000 - 10,000)

1.Uninstall nvidia graphics driver. All nvidia drivers (there are about 5 in control panel uninstall programs).

2.Restart.

3.Install 285.38 beta drivers using clean install function in custom install settings.
The computer will uninstall, then ask to restart, then install new drivers on start up.

4.Go to nvidia control panel and match up my settings in "manage 3d settings".
http://i.imgur.com/N7riu.jpg [i.imgur.com]

5.Open notepad and paste this into it and save it as "user.cfg" inside your "program files/origingames/battlefield3" folder:

RenderDevice.TripleBufferingEnable 0
RenderDevice.ForceRenderAheadLimit 1
WorldRender.SpotLightShadowmapResolution 256
WorldRender.SpotlightShadowmapEnable 0
Render.DrawFps 1

6.Go to http://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf3/ [battlelog.battlefield.com] in your default browser and sign in.

7.Now right click on your battlefield3 icon from your desktop or start menu and hit run as admin.

8.New window appears and signs you in again.

9.Launch a multiplayer game. Go to settings. Put it on low. Turn off motion blur in both options including dragging the
setting all the way to the left.

10. (You can skip this step if fps fix worked) CTRL+ALT+DEL --> Task manager --> Processes -->
->Right click BF3.exe ->set priority as high
->right click origin.exe ->set priority low

I am now getting 30-60 fps as opposed to 18-40 before doing these fixes. This is on Low 1920x1080

Also I'm getting same fps with anti virus running and without so I don't think that is an issue.

My setup: Quadcore Q6600 2.4ghz, 6GB ram, Nvidia GTX 470. Running at stock settings.
Quix0tik
MY Enlisted: 2011-10-26
2011-11-14 15:56
I have a question regarding the render ahead limit command.

I'm using the nvidia card, and the Nvidia Control Panel has this option called "Maximum pre-rendered frames". Just wondering if I should reduce this as well, or will this override the in-game settings?
andyrx7
GB Enlisted: 2011-10-24
2011-11-14 16:53
ReplayForum said:

5.Open notepad and paste this into it and save it as "user.cfg" inside your "program files/origingames/battlefield3" folder:

RenderDevice.TripleBufferingEnable 0
RenderDevice.ForceRenderAheadLimit 1
WorldRender.SpotLightShadowmapResolution 256
WorldRender.SpotlightShadowmapEnable 0
Render.DrawFps 1

10. (You can skip this step if fps fix worked) CTRL+ALT+DEL --> Task manager --> Processes -->
->Right click BF3.exe ->set priority as high
->right click origin.exe ->set priority low

I am now getting 30-60 fps as opposed to 18-40 before doing these fixes. This is on Low 1920x1080

Also I'm getting same fps with anti virus running and without so I don't think that is an issue.

My setup: Quadcore Q6600 2.4ghz, 6GB ram, Nvidia GTX 470. Running at stock settings.

maximum pre rendered frames creates a smoother flow but laggy gameplay especially with the fact you have vertical sync turned on globally as per ur nvidia settings, lower pre rendered frames solves issues with mouse and keyboard lag, you have also contradicted ur nvidia settings by using

RenderDevice.ForceRenderAheadLimit 1 < this forces 1 frame to be prepared by the cpu before whereas the drivers are preparing 8 not recommended

CPU priority has negligible effect on BF3 since the game is very GPU limited, in almost all benchmarks you'll find most quad core CPU very close scoring in frame tests in comparison to a GPU benchmark. You would see bigger and better results putting the Q6600 to 3.2Ghz-3.6Ghz turning max rendered frames to 0 or 3 and turning vsync to force off.
GrokD
Enlisted: 2011-10-27
2013-02-04 09:24 , edited 2013-02-04 09:24 by GrokD
andyrx7 said:
ReplayForum said:
CPU priority has negligible effect on BF3 since the game is very GPU limited, in almost all benchmarks you'll find most quad core CPU very close scoring in frame tests in comparison to a GPU benchmark. You would see bigger and better results putting the Q6600 to 3.2Ghz-3.6Ghz turning max rendered frames to 0 or 3 and turning vsync to force off.
That's so incorrect,cause every test is tesing in single player,you'll see big difference in multiplayer and that's what BF3 really for.
xVertigo101x
US Enlisted: 2011-10-25
2013-08-18 01:01
WIth my crap Internet connection the render ahead limit Thingamajig gives me spot on hit detection 90% of the time.
My latency is 80 on average and with out render ahead I notice no hit detection and enemy pain animation when my bullets hit but don't register.

I run the following system in my sig.
I5 2500K @ 4.5Ghz Cooler Master Seidon 240M P67 Sabertooth 1155 Gigabyte 770 OC 2GB Gigabyte 770 OC 2GB Avermedia live gamer HD capture card G-skill sniper 120GB SSD G-skill 16GB 1866 DDR3 memory Corsair HX850W Cooler master Cosmos II Ultra to