MCOM Defender Ribbon/Medal

Anti-Valentine
GB Enlisted: 2011-10-28
2012-01-02 16:12
Right I don't play rush often and don't really intend to. However i'm looking to get the mcom defender ribbon. Forgive me if my source of information is incorrect but apparently you have to kill people whilst are planting the mcom. 4 of them!

I don't know if anyone else is having difficulty with this?

Or maybe I'll have to tactically wait in a corner until the enemy comes along to plant. And even then, any good player would probably check corners when clearing out an mcom station to arm it.

Perhaps DICE might want to review the requirements for the mcom defender ribbon? Such as changing it to killing x players around a mcom?
Kudaku
NO Enlisted: 2011-10-26
2012-01-02 16:17
As it stands right now you get the Mcom Defender Bonus (and subsequently the ribbon once you get four of them) by killing people that are in the immediate vicinity of the mcom. However the extremely limited "range" and the fact that you need to get 4 kills makes it rather frustrating. Personally I unlocked this by playing Sharqui Rush with Support. I placed C4 around the terminal, and waited one floor above the term. Once I heard the "dialling" noise of someone arming the Mcom, I detonated my C4. I'd usually get ~2 kills for that. Rinse and repeat, and the ribbon is yours. Slightly distasteful, but I only did it for the completion of the ribbon challenges.

If doing that doesn't appeal to you, you could set up an LMG on a bipod and cover an Mcom, or wait for Dice to change the requirement (which they have stated they are looking into).
robert66jr
2012-01-02 16:46
Hiimmmmm...... C4........ I like I like
Anti-Valentine
2012-01-02 16:48
Yup sounds like some pretty intense tactical camping for me :D Let me go pack my camping equipment... *stupid dice*
PEEEEEETREEEEEE
US Enlisted: 2011-10-27
2012-01-02 17:17
dont forget an extra pair of socks.

/srs
wut?
itisinevitable
NL Enlisted: 2011-10-28
2012-01-02 17:45
i did it like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zl7338MPn48 [youtube.com]
IDFang
2012-01-02 17:46
Hmm...C4...Squad rush...people make a faint beeping sound when arming that can be heard from very far away...hmm...
ThatDutchIdiot
NL Enlisted: 2011-10-27
2012-01-02 17:48
Spartan-D008 said:
Hmm...C4...Squad rush...people make a faint beeping sound when arming that can be heard from very far away...hmm...

Normal rush is easier, more people who come for the objective.

Plant C4, run around a corner, wait for the beeping and click. It is boring as hell, but at least you get that ribbon
Cole_deZeiss
US Enlisted: 2011-10-25
2012-01-02 17:56 , edited 2012-01-02 17:57 by Cole_deZeiss
Kudaku said:
As it stands right now you get the Mcom Defender Bonus (and subsequently the ribbon once you get four of them) by killing people that are in the immediate vicinity of the mcom. However the extremely limited "range" and the fact that you need to get 4 kills makes it rather frustrating. Personally I unlocked this by playing Sharqui Rush with Support. I placed C4 around the terminal, and waited one floor above the term. Once I heard the "dialling" noise of someone arming the Mcom, I detonated my C4. I'd usually get ~2 kills for that. Rinse and repeat, and the ribbon is yours. Slightly distasteful, but I only did it for the completion of the ribbon challenges.

If doing that doesn't appeal to you, you could set up an LMG on a bipod and cover an Mcom, or wait for Dice to change the requirement (which they have stated they are looking into).

This is correct. The risk with the C4 method, though, is that a grenade can detonate the C4. It is more reliable to find a spot with line-of-sight to the M-COM and shoot them right as they get to it. Some M-COMs have places with line-of-sight that are rarely checked by attackers. Check for positions on a balcony above, for example.

And what is "distasteful" about defending the objective that you are tasked with defending? If it gets the job done, do it. If you are worried about "camping", think of it this way: You are setting up a last line of defense against that lone, sneaky attacker who inevitably gets around the rest of your team. If it's just that you think camping is boring, then consider the fact that, when I am trying for the ribbons (I have 16 of them so far), I fairly often get the most kills on my team. The boring part comes when the teams are not well balanced. If the attackers are too good, they steamroll through the objectives and you will barely get time to get in position before you are killed; but if the defenders are too good, they push the attackers back and none will get through for you to take care of.
Daco8
CA Enlisted: 2011-10-25
2012-01-02 18:26
I made an effort to get my second ribbon of this last night. I did it on Noshar Canals, and just sniped with a semi-auto sniper rifle, it allows for quick shots incase you miss the first. If you're confident you can get the one shot kill, go for it, but usually if get the first hit, and have to reload a bullet, then the attacker finishes and moves away. I got it within the first 2 bases.
Kudaku
NO Enlisted: 2011-10-26
2012-01-02 19:33
Gobah said:
And what is "distasteful" about defending the objective that you are tasked with defending? If it gets the job done, do it. If you are worried about "camping", think of it this way: You are setting up a last line of defense against that lone, sneaky attacker who inevitably gets around the rest of your team. If it's just that you think camping is boring, then consider the fact that, when I am trying for the ribbons (I have 16 of them so far), I fairly often get the most kills on my team. The boring part comes when the teams are not well balanced. If the attackers are too good, they steamroll through the objectives and you will barely get time to get in position before you are killed; but if the defenders are too good, they push the attackers back and none will get through for you to take care of.

First of all, good point with the grenade to take out C4/Claymores on objectives. People love to litter around the mcom for some reason ^^.

The main reason I refer to it as distasteful is that I'm not pulling my weight with the team when I play like this. While the function of a "final line of defense" is indeed a valid point, I just feel like I could be of more use if I was on the FIRST line of defense and dynamically pushing the enemy back as opposed to setting up a final line and then just waiting. That having been said, stopping the sneaky ones that go around your defenses and try to arm the mcom solo/with the squad that just spawned on them is indeed a worthy goal.
Cole_deZeiss
2012-01-02 19:55 , edited 2012-01-02 20:02 by Cole_deZeiss
Kudaku said:
Gobah said:
First of all, good point with the grenade to take out C4/Claymores on objectives. People love to litter around the mcom for some reason ^^.

The main reason I refer to it as distasteful is that I'm not pulling my weight with the team when I play like this. While the function of a "final line of defense" is indeed a valid point, I just feel like I could be of more use if I was on the FIRST line of defense and dynamically pushing the enemy back as opposed to setting up a final line and then just waiting. That having been said, stopping the sneaky ones that go around your defenses and try to arm the mcom solo/with the squad that just spawned on them is indeed a worthy goal.

That's understandable. It is important to take away the attackers' tickets too, but if those M-COMs get armed, those attackers get all those tickets back. It may feel like you're not "pulling your weight" as you said, but for every M-COM defend bonus you get, that is an opportunity taken away from the attackers to move forward. It could be argued that that is more important than taking tickets. I have had games that I felt my team was able to win because I kept the attackers from arming that M-COM and getting their tickets back, where if I had been on the front lines, I would have just been another rifle. Rush defense is two-fold and a lot of people don't think of it that way. You need to deplete their tickets, but also prevent them from getting those tickets back and moving forward.
IDFang
2012-01-02 23:18
ThatDutchIdiot said:
Spartan-D008 said:
Normal rush is easier, more people who come for the objective.

Plant C4, run around a corner, wait for the beeping and click. It is boring as hell, but at least you get that ribbon
It's much harder in normal rush because the rest of your team will hold back the attackers, and when they do come, it'll be as a giant mob, which you'll only be able to get one defend off of. Squad rush is really every man for himself, so it's much easier for attackers to slip through the holes and try to arm.
Daco8
CA Enlisted: 2011-10-25
2012-01-03 14:39
I was actually just looking at this. Why is it that the Attacker Medal is the one that requires 30? And the Defender one is the one that requires 50?

I get that technically the defending should be easier, and there are more opportunities, but because of the strict requirements, its probably the harder of the two. Those numbers should be switched.

I have to sit and camp for a few bases in order to get the defender ribbon, meanwhile, last night, I got 2 Attacker ribbons in one game!
Zcoot
AU Enlisted: 2011-10-26
2012-01-03 15:33
I believe the old fashioned claymore works will with double explosives.

Also mortar on first stage of operation metro is good too.

Or hiding and knifing the guy in the back if he is not looking
minimox16
PA Enlisted: 2011-11-05
2012-01-03 16:23
I have one question, it had to be in 4 different M-COMS or can be in one? because sometimes I kill one person near the com and got one m-com defender but then after a while kill another one and i dont get any defender point :S
Cole_deZeiss
2012-01-03 16:41
minimox16 said:
I have one question, it had to be in 4 different M-COMS or can be in one? because sometimes I kill one person near the com and got one m-com defender but then after a while kill another one and i dont get any defender point :S

They can all be at one, or at different ones. You just have to kill attackers who are very close to them. You get a 25 point "M-COM defend bonus" if they were close enough, then after four of those you get a ribbon.
TGxMLPDashie
AU Enlisted: 2011-10-27
2012-05-10 00:33
this is my last ribbon required for have all 45 of them, and i completely forgot about it until just now. My tip is you should take a Sniper (L96 is my preference) and play on an open B2K map. I found the 2nd last set of M-COM's on Strike at Karkand to be really exposed if you're on the hillside. or you can just do the Claymore ammo box trick.
Semper Filly!
backupdummy
Enlisted: 2011-10-26
2012-05-10 00:56
I got my ribbon by playing high ticket games, I'm not fond of sitting still either but I usually get like 1 defender ribbon on the normal ticket count and then the match ends before I can get the rest. I planted TUGS/MAVs near the MCOMS just so I know if they're getting close and just go back and forth between the MCOM and the frontlines when necessary. It's rather time consuming since I think they have to be in planting distance but i don't think they have to be planting though, just close enough that they see the prompt to plant. I tried the Claymore/C4 but they usually get cleared out by grenades or RPGs.
pptstall18
SG Enlisted: 2012-10-25
2012-12-22 03:36
you must be sneaking putting c4...put on the side of the MCOM so it looks like a bomb charge for graphical purposes....most people will just rush and arm and you just blow it up...usually get double kills