Thread is locked.

Need Recon tips

DorkyGamerSarah
Enlisted: 2012-06-07
2012-06-07 19:45
I started playing BF3 yesterday so I am new to the game. I tried to play with the recon class for a few minutes and I have a really hard time sniping people... To be honest I only made one kill from 179 meters by accident because I was sneezing. Can anyone just give me tips how I can snipe with skills
sYgmacht
DE Enlisted: 2012-02-04
2012-06-07 19:50 , edited 2012-06-07 19:50 by sYgmacht
On large vehicle maps such as Caspian Border, Operation Firestorm, Gulf of Oman, Wake Island, or Kharg Island, if requested, make sure to always use a SOFLAM and spot targets manually from time to time, but not always and spend most of the time capturing.

Don't camp and be a mobile sniper constantly.

If playing on any other map, use MAV or T-UGS appropriately.

Place Radio Bacons under ceilings, where soldiers can quickly deploy instead of wasting 20 minutes in the air with a parachute.
KINGSLY51595
US Enlisted: 2011-11-25
2012-06-07 19:58
If you're using a semi-auto, close the range, as the damage drops pretty quickly at long ranges. If you get close and double tap your enemy, that's a kill.

For bolt action rifles (my choice is a nice L96), unlock and use the straight-pull bolt. It allows for much faster shooting, close to the speed of semis.

Don't use flashlights, they just get you killed quicker. Suppressors can be used, but they will play merry hell with the damage and bullet drop tables, so take it or leave it, and don't switch. My favorite is a laser sight, which can blind enemies at any range, and increases accuracy.

NEVER USE A BIPOD UNLESS YOU'RE CAMPING IN YOUR SPAWN.

If you're out of spawn, you need to keep moving at all times, or the enemy will see your location via killcam, and nail you with one of the following:
1) Another, probably more skilled sniper.
2) A ninja (sniper like me who loves using a knife on people's necks)
3) Mortars
4) Helicopters
5) A tank if they really get desperate.

As to why anyone would camp in their own spawn, that's beyond comprehension.

AA tanks: They really work.
Keeping the skies clear!
AA Tanks: They really work! Keeping the skies clear!
Skollulfr
Enlisted: 2011-11-01
2012-06-07 20:32
the "sniping" in this game is tacked on & essentially to give people the illusion of choice.
the bolt actions have the singularly lowest dpm over a minute of anything in the game and the lowest average muzzle velocities of any class specific weapons.

you will have much more luck & be more effective with an x4 scope on a qbb LMG then you will with a proper blot action.
other successful solutions being the kh2002 or m16.
EscoVictorious
CA Enlisted: 2012-04-07
2012-06-07 21:23 , edited 2012-06-09 04:09 by EscoVictorious
1. dont always scope in (glare gives you away) scope in after you get a target
2. always be on the move far enough to cover your squad but close enough that your not a 12 scope sniper. (i am close enough in battles for 7/8 scope zooms)
3. if your aiming at a guy running dont aim too far ahead (i used to always over exagerate the bullet travel speed and wouldnt hit)
4. spend most the time playing objectives and moving slowly when your close to objectives to view the surroundings
5. always use tugs unless a soflam is absolutly necessary (mavs are usless in my opinion cuz you cant attack and your a sitting duck)
6. when caping drop a tugs near the flag and go somewhere else (this is so when they go to cap the flag you can see them but are at a distance to not get killed and you can sneak up on them)
7. always go for flanks. unless you get good enough to be able to kill your target within 1 second of zooming in. like i said dont zoom in too long or your position will be revealed.
8. spot spot spot
9. help your squad by putting the spawn beacon near objectives or between 2 objectives (conquest) instead of somewhere useless like in the edge of the map...like most caping low score snipers
10. know when to run
11. dont prone, prone = sitting duck = dead
12. bipod is usless unless you want to be one of those hill/crane snipers that barely get any kills but get killed a lot cuz everyone knows where they are
13. dont keep changing rifles. they all handle differently. unless your trying to get all the unlocks
14. if you are going to camp in a building, always move to different windows/floors and have a tugs in a strategic spot that covers your whole camping building
15. if you do camp, make sure you are in a building that can easily get to at least 2 objectives or can see 2 objectives...otherwise your usless
16. stick to 7/8 zoom, cuz its good for long, med, and even short ditance. 12 zoom makes it easy to loose a target at med range and is for tthe snipers who are super far away and are usless
17. lazer sight is the way to go
18. snipers are ment for range, suppressors cancel that out. dont use it unless your using a general pdw weapon to sneak around with or are planning to use semi autos as assault riffles
19. stick to bold action (i hate semi autos, there too inacurate and the range sucks. only using it to gett all recon unlocks)
20. use squad cover, it greatly helps when people are trying to suppress you since sniping is about acuracy
21. when picking a side arm try to stick to autos or silencers depending on if your aggressive or flank
22. tugs/mini map is your best friend
23. strafe left and right (left joystick) when your in scope its more exact for little adjustments than the right joystick and it continuously keeps you dodging other snipers
24. head shots are always good when you can but most times just go for the body shots and swap to side arm, your most likely not going to hit them with the second shot unless your good enough or have enough time (the bolt reload takes to long even with straight pull bolt..they would be shooting at you). plus most the time there damaged and you do enough damage anyways to finish them off. when at their full health a shot to the body would bring them down to about 4% so you have advantage
25. when you see an enemy shooting at your team he is your priority
26. bullets are affected by gravity, no arguing with that but your at a good range if you dont need to aim above your target and your bullets hit where you aim
27. when doing long ranged sniping, do a pre-shot to know if you have to compensate for bullet drop or not at the range your at
28. sidearm = best friend
29. place tugs at a heavy battle spot to load up on points, but place it either one level up or down so the other team wont find it
30. aim then zoom in
31. when taking corners take a quick second peek then back into cover, while in cover adjust your aim so that the next time you peek out they will already be in your target.
32. narrow places = best places to snipe in
33. turn off lazer when your trying to flank to not accidently get spotted

my usual loadout: 1. bolt action: bolt action (depending on map/game) 8 zoom, lazer, pull bolt
2. semi auto (though i dont realy like them i only use them to get all the unlocks for recon class): mk11 mod, 3.5/4 zoom, grip, lazer

if i can think of others i will post

have fun

p.s. reacons are not a pussy class. just most people play them like pussies.
p.p.s. well played reacon swim in points, tugs = 50+ points for every enemy death within range
idee_fx
FR Enlisted: 2011-10-27
2012-06-07 22:57 , edited 2012-06-07 23:00 by idee_fx
bipod is on the other hand quite useful on semi-auto sniper rifles. Don't be affraid to swap your x8 scope for a x4 scope to get rid of the scope glint, especially on semi-automatic rifles like the sks.

Finally a quite note : many snipers don't like using the bipod because it means getting prone which is very dangerous because of the scope glint that makes you easy to spot. On the other hand, using a bipod and a x12 scope on certain areas can make you a real pain in th ass for the ennemies, even if you don't kill them. People will be affraid of moving forward and they will try to suppress you. A x12 and a bipod allow you to do this from a distance where you can keep fireing and not duck for cover.

When they start trying to fire at you, they will slow down to adjust their aim and you can lay down a headshot. Even if you miss, you are actually pinning down a squad in one point and that means four less opponents focusing on capturing points or shooting friends. It may even distract them for your ally to flank them and take them out.

Being a sniper is less about making headshots that making your foes take cover so that your ally can progress a lot easier.

Finally, recon is the hardest class as it takes not only skill but a also experience to be able to read the flow of the game in order to be on the right place at the right moment.
BlackbookBF
GB Enlisted: 2012-03-28
2012-06-08 05:31
idee_fx said:
Finally, recon is the hardest class as it takes not only skill but a also experience to be able to read the flow of the game in order to be on the right place at the right moment.

Your setting yourself up for a big fall by being a brand new player and wanting to Snipe.

The Assault Class is King of the Castle best all round guns has the med pack and revive function.

All other classes are inferior in comparision unless its concerning the anti vehicle work Enginners and Support can provide.

You need to learn the map, get gun skills, train with minimap.

I know what I am talking about as I have 2 Recon Service Stars and only really picked up a Sniper Rifle last week.

The last thing the game needs is another noob Sniper.

Practice on TDM as Assault till your skill level is 300 plus.

My post is not off topic, however its probably not what you want to hear, but rather what you should be told by a guy who used to get negative K/D's at the start.
Twitch-Razix
US Enlisted: 2011-10-24
2012-06-08 05:44
Best tip to play recon effectivly.
Select medic
Click spawn
Get up close
Shoot
Remember to hit 3 often :)
And when you see a dead team mate hit 4 run to them click on them while screaming CLEAR in real life.
ShadowRemorse
US Enlisted: 2011-10-26
2012-06-08 07:32
Hello guys I run a thread called Sniper Central.
Here is the Link
http://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf3/forum/threadview/2832654347909515014/ [battlelog.battlefield.com]

Thread BIo:
weapons,tactics,guides,videos and etc...
meet other recon players. ask questions and get answers.
WE are only about helping you become a better recon player.
KINGSLY51595
US Enlisted: 2011-11-25
2012-06-08 10:21
ShadowRemorse said:
Here is the Link
http://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf3/forum/threadview/2832654347909515014/ [battlelog.battlefield.com]

Thread BIo:

^This guy knows what he's talking about. Seriously, pay the thread a visit. You'll learn a lot more than I can ever tell you.

Things I missed earlier:

Yes, I admit, you can use a bipod with a 12x scope IF you are quite some distance away from the enemy, but not necessarily in spawn. Just be good at counter-sniping, or you will get taken out.

Have a good sidearm handy, and make it suppressed. That way, even if a squad is trying to breach your sniper post, you can take them out one-by-one, and all that they will know is that you are firing. They cannot see you because a suppressed weapon has no heat signature.

AA tanks: They really work.
Keeping the skies clear!
AA Tanks: They really work! Keeping the skies clear!
TEL9021
GR Enlisted: 2011-10-28
2012-06-08 14:54
Check my thread about it:
http://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf3/forum/threadview/2832654625022135397/ [battlelog.battlefield.com]
ShadowRemorse
US Enlisted: 2011-10-26
2012-06-08 22:44
KINGSLY51595 said:
ShadowRemorse said:
Here is the Link

Thread BIo:
^This guy knows what he's talking about. Seriously, pay the thread a visit. You'll learn a lot more than I can ever tell you.

good to see you again i thought i remember you from my thread. Nice to see im not thte onlyone trying to help other recon players
WarpedLove
Enlisted: 2011-10-28
2012-06-08 23:47
I can't imagine how hilarious that was when you sneezed and got a kill.

Thread is locked.
Thread is locked.