Counter Knife attack Suggestion

NeighborKid1
US Enlisted: 2011-10-25
2012-06-13 14:57
OK so i was playing around on the new CQ maps and sometimes i run by someone and get shanked from behind... kinda annoying.. Anyway i was thinking. Why isn't there an ability to counter being knifed?

I was thinking then what a certain individual preforms a knife attack and the animation begins the only way to avoid being stabbed is for someone else to shoot the other person before the attack is complete right?

So everyone remember the last scene from the campaign.. RANDOM BUTTON PRESS! This idea would be able to make a close combat attack or melee more exciting.

When attack be it from where ever and the animation begins. Why not throw up a random button to press in the middle of your screen so you can try and press it before being stabbed? In turn the player being attack throws his arm up to grab the knife wielding hand to stop the attack. Now from here you could go many ways. A route could be taken that a random button comes up for both person and who ever presses it the most number of times in a say what?3-5 second span wins the fight? If the attacker wins the fight the knife attack is pressed through the defending players hands and gets shanked.

If the defender wins he could A push the attacker back and pull his handgun out and preform an auto headshot. Another idea would be fore another random button come up for each individual. and i mean a random button from across the keyboard.

Ex. 1
Attacker commits to knifing someone presses F

Defender has timing on his side ( this is a fast reaction ) press .. lets say... hmm... (I) <- Random button

Attacker has a split second to counter by random button press of lets say (Y) ( take note these attacks are buttons that the game tells you to press.

Defender same idea and lets say presses (O) to counter.

IN the end who ever doesnt press a random button in under lets say 1.5-2 seconds losses.

Attacker wins - Attacker knife attack is successful ( drives knife through the arms and into the chest of the defender

Defender wins either A pulls out his knife and stabs the other, B pushs the attacker back and defender pulls gun POP headshot and keeps going. C the defender with his free arm as one is holding the knife back, pulls the handgun outa his holster and BAM headshot.

EX2

Attacker commits to knife attack. presses F

Defender this time has to react and press.... (8)

Both attacker and defender are given each a random key to press could be the same key for both players but is RANDOM every time a knife attack is preformed so that the player just isnt able to defend every knife attack.

moving on

Both are given the key of (U) to press for 2.5-4 seconds who ever hits the key more times in that time frame wins and could be ending as EX 1 .

so what do you guys think? Mini quick time events in MP for the win!
Gridoverflow
NL Enlisted: 2011-10-27
2012-06-13 15:00
Rather have to option to block the attack and push the attacker away both picking up their gun. Other wise it will take too long and it will be annoying to knife anyone
SIMPLY_LEBEN
FI Enlisted: 2011-10-27
2012-06-13 15:00
Try coding that to multiplayer yourself! Good luck for a lifetime work!
llamalaugh
AU Enlisted: 2011-10-26
2012-06-13 15:01
Mrs_Miagi said:
Try coding that to multiplayer yourself! Good luck for a lifetime work!
¡ɐıןɐɹʇsnɐ oʇ ǝɯoɔןǝʍ
Oska-Myke
GB Enlisted: 2011-11-28
2012-06-13 15:02 , edited 2012-06-13 15:02 by Oska-Myke
Nope.

Get knifed
Die
Respawn
Continue playing

Not our fault you're daft enough to leave yourself open to knife attacks.
NuclearBuddha
Enlisted: 2011-10-29
2012-06-13 15:03
NeighborKid1 said:
so what do you guys think? Mini quick time events in MP for the win!

No. While you and your target are dicking around hunting random keys, one or the other (presumably the attacker, since currently the defender can't be killed by anyone else once he's sucked into the animation) is going to get shot. Sneaking up on someone takes enough luck/skill already, especially with the occasional bizarre knife fail.

(my opinion is biased, however)
Val is loev.
Trizunky
2012-06-13 15:05
Shhhhh... BEHIND YOU! dead. Handle it. All of us do.
Sponsored by Belch32 & =VoA= God bless our troops!
Shifty99
CA Enlisted: 2011-10-25
2012-06-13 15:05
Knife is already countered by mortars, and the significant number of times where nothing happens and you just stand behind the person. They should probably fix this first.
Sen7ryGun
AU Enlisted: 2011-10-26
2012-06-13 15:07 , edited 2012-06-13 15:09 by Sen7ryGun
So, your version of a speedy knife kill looks something like this?

Knife attack
Counter
Counter Counter
Counter Counter Counter
Counter Counter Counter Counter
Counter Counter Counter Counter Counter
Counter Counter Counter Counter Counter Counter
Counter Counter Counter Counter Counter Counter Counter
Counter Counter Counter Counter Counter Counter Counter Counter
Counter Counter Counter Counter Counter Counter Counter Counter Counter
Counter Counter Counter Counter Counter Counter Counter Counter Counter Counter
Counter Counter Counter Counter Counter Counter Counter Counter Counter Counter Counter
Counter Counter Counter Counter Counter Counter Counter Counter Counter Counter Counter Counter
Counter Counter Counter Counter Counter Counter Counter Counter Counter Counter Counter Counter Counter
Counter Counter Counter Counter Counter Counter Counter Counter Counter Counter Counter Counter Counter Counter
Counter Counter Counter Counter Counter Counter Counter Counter Counter Counter Counter Counter Counter Counter Counter
Counter Counter Counter Counter Counter Counter Counter Counter Counter Counter Counter Counter Counter Counter Counter Counter

Then someone walks around the corner and shoots you while you make love to a big hairy Russian.

Edit: Wtf do you do if there are only 2 players on the server? Just have a keyboard piano duel until someone gets carpal tunnel or falls off their chair!?
Typhonnn
IL Enlisted: 2011-10-24
2012-06-13 15:08
It's your fault you got knifed! Don't be a sore loser.
Trizunky
2012-06-13 15:09
http://www.metacafe.com/watch/an-ibT9bY2nuhbbt4/smokin_aces_2006_the_tremors_kill_dupree_part_2/. [metacafe.com]
Sponsored by Belch32 & =VoA= God bless our troops!
terranrush
US Enlisted: 2011-10-26
2012-06-13 15:11
if he can get close enough to knife you, he could have shot you, you were dead either way.

what really is annoying is there is some type of invincibility in the knife animation, or the animation screws the hitboxes. you could be blasting a guy in full auto up close and he can just knife you and live. it was a problem in BFBC2 as well.
SmashT_AU
AU Enlisted: 2011-10-24
2012-06-13 15:11
Bring back 2142 knife.
NMDannyX
IL Enlisted: 2011-10-24
2012-06-13 15:12
No support
First of all this is going to take a lot of time to script and animate, which is why this wont happen
Second, it is hard enough to knife somebody. You don't want to start struggling with the victim in the middle of the battlefield, the game is too fast paced for countering knife attacks
NuclearBuddha
Enlisted: 2011-10-29
2012-06-13 15:13
Eclipse-Typhonnn said:

Yeah, this is probably OP's real issue anyway.
Val is loev.
NeighborKid1
2012-06-13 15:14 , edited 2012-06-13 15:15 by NeighborKid1
NuclearBuddha said:
Eclipse-Typhonnn said:
Yeah, this is probably OP's real issue anyway.

no not at all, Just an idea that came to mind that i thought would be a cool feature of the game. Hence the suggestion of the idea.
0j0m
Enlisted: 2011-10-26
2012-06-13 15:15
Eclipse-Typhonnn said:

agreed, dude!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunning%E2%80%93Kruger_effect
EDFXNights
SG Enlisted: 2011-10-31
2012-06-13 15:20
Bad idea, they are already giving up, around 3 seconds to kill you with a knife, rather than a second to kill you with their weapon.
There is no counter if you are getting back stabbed with a Primary, So... if they have a mini game in this it would be a infinite Dual between a Camper hunter and a fast reaction Camper.... if that was the case... i rather just blast him with my Primary or troll him with claymores and C4s
SeriousPhil
AT Enlisted: 2012-01-20
2012-06-13 15:21
Would welcome such a feature since its a total mess with the knife attacks.

Its not like you are jerking around lonely in the wild, no in the one moment where you check if no one is behind its all clear, then people randomly pop out of nowhere and stab you, wtf?

Its like in the early stages of Team Fortress 2 where everyone was paranoid because of the spy resulting in teammmates attacking each other just to be sure he is not a spy. Paranoia everywhere until they released the razorback.

The case is the same with BF3, sorry I have no eyes on the back of my head and if I have to constantly turn around just to ensure that my ass is save, this ruins the game for me. A QTE would be nice but you had to react extremely fast to press the buttons in the right time, alternatively they could make a perk for this.
GwiezdnyKloszard
Enlisted: 2011-10-26
2012-06-13 15:23
Aggressor should have an edge anyway.