Best Sound Card For BF3 ?

Ch3sterCopperpot
Enlisted: 2011-10-26
2012-06-14 11:14
Hi guys i have an Auzentech X-Fi Forte right now with the logitech Z5500 5.1 speakers and Sennheiser PC360 headset.
95% of the time im using my headset for games and i want to know which is the best sound card out there under £200.
a little while ago i bought the Asus Xonar Essence STX and music sounded good but not too much better than my Forte but for games i had to spend ages trying to set it up to make it sound anywhere near as good as my Forte and at best im not sure it was as good, it just sounded like you were playing in a big empty room now if thats what some people like then thats ok for them but for me i think the x-fi sound is better.
Now my question is for gaming (but i dont want my music to sound crap) which of these sound cards would be better than what i have when using headset 95% of the time.

Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium HD

Creative Sound Blaster Recon3D Fatal1ty Professional Soundcard

Asus ROG Xonar Phoebus 7.1 PCI-E - Do you think this one will sound like the Asus Xonar Essence STX Sound Card
if it does then i dont think i wil like the sound of my Battlefield 3 in a big empty warehouse. (i did check all settings when i had the asus card to make sure i had the correct settings for what everyone said on the forums to get the best out of it for gaming).
i know some of you will say about creative drivers but imo all i care about is the sound and being able to play my game without it crashing so i dont care how big the drivers are.
ive read on some forums that people are having lots of trouble with the new asus ROG Xonar Phoebus and Battlefield 3.
any help would be great thx + is anyone using the Asus ROG Xonar Phoebus 7.1 PCI-E on BF3 without any problems ?
MrMinimizer
US Enlisted: 2012-02-26
2012-06-14 11:29
bump
Playing Battlefield on a WATER-COOLED WIN8.1-Pro 64Bit, Intel 4770K CPU (Overclocked 4.5GHZ Stable), ASUS ROG Maximus VI Formula MB, 32 GB Crucial Elite Memory, Dual EVGA GTX-780 SC SLI (Water-cooled), Samsung 840 Pro 250 GB Fast SSD, Seagate 2 TB Hard Drive (storage), Corsair RM850 WATT Power Supply, Dual DVD/CD Drives, Corsair Obsidian Series 900D Case, 27" Ben-Q Monitor, Logitech Z906 Speakers (500 Watts), Corsair Vengeance 2100 in 7.1 Surround Sound Wireless Headsets, Xbox/Logitech/Cyborg controllers, Razer Gamer Keyboard and DeathAdder Mouse. All wrapped inside a Corsair 900D case with 2 each 480mm Radiators and powered by a Switftech Dual MCP355X2 Water pump and cooled with Corsair SP120 fans in all in push pull mode!!!
DANNYonPC
NL Enlisted: 2011-11-11
2012-06-14 11:31
the onboard is fine most of the time
I'm DANNYonPC, and welcome to CasualFeld 4. Want to buy BF4? don't - BF4 is literally one of the worst games i've ever played.. Its terrible
Stiffn3ck
GB Enlisted: 2011-11-09
2012-06-14 11:31
OP...I envy your rig.

On topic IMO your rig is irrelevant ...audio quality for BF3 is poor

All you need to hear is footsteps,...which nobody can hear anyway.
ARISING-LEGEND
CA Enlisted: 2011-11-04
2012-06-14 11:32 , edited 2012-06-14 11:33 by ARISING-LEGEND
i have audio beats on my computer
i lisen to mics in my headset.
game into my hi fi.

i can play with my eyes close
now i have nothing else to compare to.
but if i put my speakers the other side arround.
i would be looking the opposite direction of things.
so i think my brain is being greatly affected by sound directions wich is great.

if u cant hear anything ur sound system sucks sht. this is the best game sound ive seen im my life.
shut up guy above me go play with ur poor system at mw3. maybe there its compatible
yes im making a personal attack. this game has the best sound and thats what u say? get a life.
Instead of avoiding it (EX: not using JETs or playing AK or closequarter maps on certain player counts because your bad) and then blaming the game for being repetitive. Mastering the next weakness in battlefield is a great idea. You payed for it after all
xLeKiTx
IS Enlisted: 2011-12-14
2012-06-14 11:33
ASUS Xonar D1 (cz i have one).
BBlog 3.3.0 + Minilog Theme
Flapdr0l1337
Enlisted: 2011-10-31
2012-06-14 11:42 , edited 2012-06-14 11:45 by Flapdr0l1337
Just look at general soundcard reviews.

All sound is calculated on the cpu, the soundcard only has to do output, so signal quality is the only thing that matters.

Asus Xonar DX/XD seems to be good and not too expensive.

If you dont have an audiophile extremely expensive speaker system or $400 headphones the onboard might be fine, although some boards have a crap chip on em. what type of chip does your mobo have?
johncarr79
GB Enlisted: 2011-10-24
2012-06-14 11:44 , edited 2012-06-14 11:46 by johncarr79
Those speakers, are probably tuned for home entertainment. So I can't imagine your choice of soundcard makes that much, or any difference. I just use cambridge audio stuff for normal stuff and Yamaha NS10M for mixing and monitoring audio recording
Hexed-Executable
US Enlisted: 2011-11-23
2012-06-14 11:44
DANNYonPC said:
the onboard is fine most of the time

This.
Hacks? It was my brother.
Mynx1911
DE Enlisted: 2011-10-25
2012-06-14 11:53
@Fireblade:

I own the same headset like you and I use it with a Creative soundblaster X-Fi Xtreme Gamer (Link: http://de.store.creative.com/sound-blaster/sound-blaster-x-fi-xtremegamer/1-15853.aspx [de.store.creative.com] )

The creative software knows 3 modes. Gaming, listening and recording. I recommend listening with more bass and terible. Sounds great. Never heard anything better at (i.e. my friends).

Compared that the Xtreme Gamer is not that much expensive...
Small Steps Corrupt! - "Papers are totally OP! Scissors are well balanced..." said the Rock.
Ch3sterCopperpot
Enlisted: 2011-10-26
2012-06-14 23:31
im not sure some of you read my 1st post right cos wtf would i want to use onboard sound when i already have an Auzentech X-Fi Forte sound card which is based on the creative X-Fi chip but is a little better than most of the creative sound blaster cards out there and it has the exact same GUI with the 3 options Entertainment Mode, Audio Creation Mode and Game Mode and it also has a dedicated headphone amp connection.
as for the asus Xonar cards (the cheaper versions of the Xonar Essence STX) which i didnt really like the way it sounded i dont think they would be better. i think the only asus sound card that could be better is the new Asus ROG Xonar Phoebus 7.1 but ive heard that people are having trouble with Battlefield 3 on it so i was hoping anyone with that card that has it working could reply with how good or bad it is ?
i would like to know what the Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium HD sounds like and if people are having problems with this one.
i know some of you talk about creative and crappy software but ive had 2 creative X-Fi cards and my Auzentech is pretty much a creative card and only time i had problems was when vista 1st came out but for years now ive not had problems. i know the drivers are big and take a while to put on with the creative u have to instal 3 different bits of software but once its done its done and the auzentech version of the X-Fi is almost the same but their drivers are all in 1 so u just instal 1 big driver and again once its done its done.
Mynx1911 said:
@Fireblade:

I own the same headset like you and I use it with a Creative soundblaster X-Fi Xtreme Gamer (Link: http://de.store.creative.com/sound-blaster/sound-blaster-x-fi-xtremegamer/1-15853.aspx [de.store.creative.com] )

The creative software knows 3 modes. Gaming, listening and recording. I recommend listening with more bass and terible. Sounds great. Never heard anything better at (i.e. my friends).

Compared that the Xtreme Gamer is not that much expensive...

i do have 1 problem with my sennheiser PC360's and that is when i turn my volume up and down on the ear piece i get crackling as i turn it when im in game or listening to music and i know its not my sound card cos when i had the asus Xonar Essence STX a little while ago it did it on that to so is it faulty or does yours do that too ?
ud3webdev
US Enlisted: 2011-10-25
2012-06-14 23:33
i use the asus 7.1 xonar its pretty good
1x Samsung 24 inch monitor GTX 580 Super Clocked SLI Core i7 2600k @ 4.6 GHZ Corsair SSD 120GB GT Creative recon 3d soundcard, Optical Headset Gigabyte Z68 Mobo 750 Watt Corsair TX750