Xbox 360 Tutorial: How much HDD space you'll need

ShadyZeitgeist
DE Enlisted: 2011-11-03
2013-03-12 14:29 , edited 2013-05-07 15:20 by ShadyZeitgeist
Hi community!

Here is a little list about how much HDD space you will need to play BF3 in multiplayer.


Mandatory files:
Battlefield 3 Title Update (Auto-Download) - 201MB
Multiplayer Update 6 - 2.0GB
Minimum HDD space required to play Multiplayer: 2.2GB


DLC specific files:
End Game - 1.8GB
Aftermath - 1.6GB
Armored Kill - 1.6GB
Multiplayer Update 3 (Close Quarters) - 2.4GB
Battlefield 3 Update (Back To Karkand) - 2.1GB
HDD space required to play ALL the DLC: 9.5GB


Optional files for better performance / loading times / comfort:
Battlefield 3 Disc 1 - 7.3GB
Battlefield 3 HD Content - 1.5GB
Total size of optional files: 8.8GB


Old files you can delete:
Multiplayer Update 5 - 1.8GB
Multiplayer Update 4 - 1.44GB
Rent-A-Server-Update - 1.02GB
Reading this saved you: 4.26GB
Arctic_Breaker
US Enlisted: 2011-10-29
2013-03-12 14:31
+5 good info
You wouldn't steal a handbag. You wouldn't steal a car. You wouldn't steal a baby. You wouldn't shoot a policeman. And then steal his helmet. You wouldn't go to the toilet in his helmet. And then send it to the policeman's grieving widow. And then steal it again!
WroughtP
SE Enlisted: 2011-12-21
2013-03-12 14:34
Make a total for very lazy people and you got a gold star
WotEvar
Enlisted: 2011-11-10
2013-03-12 14:34
Dead handy. Is it 100% certain that we can delete those three files without any adverse affects whatsoever? I'm assuming people who rent servers need to keep the Rent-A-Server one?
Unseth
Enlisted: 2011-10-25
2013-03-12 14:37
WotEvar said:
Dead handy. Is it 100% certain that we can delete those three files without any adverse affects whatsoever? I'm assuming people who rent servers need to keep the Rent-A-Server one?


no. See how each patch gets bigger? It includes the fixes from the previous patch too. That way if you go buy BF3 off the shelf, you don't have to download every update. Just the latest (and of course the DLC).

So you can delete the older updates since the newest one is inclusive. So when people say OMG the patch is 2GB well, that includes 6 patches of fixes. If we get another patch, it'll be even larger.
ShadyZeitgeist
DE Enlisted: 2011-11-03
2013-03-12 14:38 , edited 2013-03-12 14:38 by ShadyZeitgeist
WroughtP said:
Make a total for very lazy people and you got a gold star
Challenge accepted ;-)
WotEvar
Enlisted: 2011-11-10
2013-03-12 14:41
Unseth said:
WotEvar said:
Dead handy. Is it 100% certain that we can delete those three files without any adverse affects whatsoever? I'm assuming people who rent servers need to keep the Rent-A-Server one?
no. See how each patch gets bigger? It includes the fixes from the previous patch too. That way if you go buy BF3 off the shelf, you don't have to download every update. Just the latest (and of course the DLC).

So you can delete the older updates since the newest one is inclusive. So when people say OMG the patch is 2GB well, that includes 6 patches of fixes. If we get another patch, it'll be even larger.


Thanks. Something like this should be stickied as there are endless questions about it
SSN14
GB Enlisted: 2011-10-30
2013-03-12 14:47
Nice one mate, I was just having a discussion with a platoon buddy as he is running out of HDD space and if it was safe or not to delete previous patches, you've just answered the question for us 10/10
MajorMatty360
GB Enlisted: 2011-10-27
2013-03-12 14:54
Thanks for the info OP, I never knew I could get rid of the older updates.
a7ime7raveller
CA Enlisted: 2012-01-26
2013-03-12 14:56
MajorMatty360 said:
Thanks for the info OP, I never knew I could get rid of the older updates.

Likewise, thanks for the help!
DCM1598
CA Enlisted: 2012-07-27
2013-03-12 15:00 , edited 2013-03-12 15:00 by DCM1598
I can remove these:

Old files you can delete:
Multiplayer Update 5 - 1.8GB
Multiplayer Update 4 - 1.44GB
Rent-A-Server-Update - 1.02GB

Because my HDD is full. And thanks for the post.
_DΞNNIS_
ArtistWolf
US Enlisted: 2011-10-25
2013-03-12 15:02
I love it when incredibly awesome players post stuff like this that help make up for lazy developers not taking care of cleaning up their own unnecessary update files.

+10 for a great post
Simbulic
GB Enlisted: 2013-01-17
2013-03-12 15:04
nice
Battlefield Underdog
ShadyZeitgeist
DE Enlisted: 2011-11-03
2013-03-12 15:11
@All: Thanks for the feedback!

DCM1598 said:
I can remove these:

Old files you can delete:
Multiplayer Update 5 - 1.8GB
Multiplayer Update 4 - 1.44GB
Rent-A-Server-Update - 1.02GB

Because my HDD is full. And thanks for the post.
That is correct.

ArtistWolf said:
I love it when incredibly awesome players post stuff like this that help make up for lazy developers not taking care of cleaning up their own unnecessary update files.

+10 for a great post
Thanks man. Yeah, you would think that they would just bring up some kind of pop-up to inform you about obsolete updates.
redfinn73
AU Enlisted: 2011-11-08
2013-03-12 15:17
very helpful, cheers
ArtistWolf
US Enlisted: 2011-10-25
2013-03-12 15:18
ShadyZeitgeist said:
ArtistWolf said:
I love it when incredibly awesome players post stuff like this that help make up for lazy developers not taking care of cleaning up their own unnecessary update files.

+10 for a great post
Thanks man. Yeah, you would think that they would just bring up some kind of pop-up to inform you about obsolete updates.

You're quite welcome. And yeah, you would think so. Or maybe something as simple as having a better naming convention would have helped. For instance, rather than numbering the multiplayer updates, just call it "multiplayer update" so it overwrites itself when you download the latest one. I think they probably painted themselves in a corner early when they titled the CQ pack as "multiplayer update 3".
deadside00
US Enlisted: 2011-11-11
2013-03-12 15:18
Ha. Wow, thanks for this. I was literally thinking about this last night.
You don't really care about the trials of tomorrow; rather lay awake in a bed full of sorrow
R3DRAW
US Enlisted: 2011-10-31
2013-03-12 15:22
Can't have mah gagabytes
Peck!
ShadyZeitgeist
DE Enlisted: 2011-11-03
2013-03-12 16:49 , edited 2013-03-12 16:49 by ShadyZeitgeist
ArtistWolf said:
ShadyZeitgeist said:
ArtistWolf said:
I love it when incredibly awesome players post stuff like this that help make up for lazy developers not taking care of cleaning up their own unnecessary update files.

+10 for a great post
Thanks man. Yeah, you would think that they would just bring up some kind of pop-up to inform you about obsolete updates.
You're quite welcome. And yeah, you would think so. Or maybe something as simple as having a better naming convention would have helped. For instance, rather than numbering the multiplayer updates, just call it "multiplayer update" so it overwrites itself when you download the latest one. I think they probably painted themselves in a corner early when they titled the CQ pack as "multiplayer update 3".
I entirely agree with you!
PrezMtDewCamacho
US Enlisted: 2012-04-05
2013-03-12 16:55
Wrong, you need the rent a server patch along with the most recent update.

Played some unranked prepatch last night.... Damn that USAS shot FAST. Tank shells and rpgs had such a nice blast radious...man the game was fun back then. Usas w/ frags really only bothered me in the metro... Imagine it on close quarters tho lulz
President Dwayne Elizondo Mountain Dew Herbert Camacho