Mirror's Edge feedback for DICE

AcesTwo
IL Enlisted: 2011-10-24
2013-07-08 20:09 , edited 2013-10-16 15:04 by AcesTwo
This thread is dedicated mainly to discuss what we want and do not want in the upcoming Mirror's Edge game. EA did say it's trying to attract more players with the upcoming game, so getting feedback from the already loyal BF community would be fantastic.
~~~
To start things off:
Kudos DICE. I know the first game didn't sell well and didn't score well in reviews, but the community that does like it-likes it a lot. Thanks for showing us your support and love for the franchise.

Let's get started:
1) Open world/map editor: I would say it's the most important feature. Being a runner in the whole city would be incredible, by doing nothing but roaming you're just having fun. Having the map editor would make something I like, it's called replayability
2) Side missions: I could call this one a part of #1, since almost every open world game has side missions. Side missions would just add more variety to the game. They could be lethal, such as assassination missions (and accomplish what Assassin's Creed has failed, proper assassination) or non-lethal missions such as teaching new-comers about being runners or powering up the antenna in top of a tower.
3)Speed: One thing my completely casual gamer friend has said, is that he likes CoD because it has speed. Being more agile is probably controversial; I can see people arguing it's not realistic etc, but in the end of the day if it makes the game feel better, that's what matters.
4) Stealth/Gameplay Options: Some of the players don't like shooting. Giving them the option to bypass enemies would be great.
5)Multiplayer: DICE, this is your chance doing what BRINK has done wrong correctly. I don't know how you're going to do this, just having pistols and running around in open maps in TDM or class-based PTFO game. But in case you're doing the first "style" I pointed:
-Nothing else than pistols. Simplicity is a virtue.
Second "style":
-No "heavy" guns. Movement should be the main focus of the game.
-Having 3 classes: one that uses pistols (has a speed advantage of course), one that uses an SMG and one that uses a small shotgun like Recker uses. GADGETS: Having one with a sensor, one with ammo and one with a medkit/defib would be nice (Balancing should be made by DICE)
-No "static objective" modes like Conquest, modes like Rush and CTF are fine.
6) Evolving skill: Common, who doesn't love that feeling of upgrading himself?
7) Using power cords when they're not working:Turning off the electricity and swinging off powercords?
8) Using guys as meatshields
9) Cutscenes should be "in-engine", not the 2D animation: I know many people would say that the cutscenes are a part of the game that makes it more special, but after I've seen the change from InFamous to InFamous: Second Son (IF has "comics", IF:SS has in-game cutscenes with facial expressions, animations and everything). It contributes the game's story further more.

COMMUNITY SUGGESTIONS:
MULTIPLAYER MODES:
-Splinter Cell "Spies Vs Mercs" style multiplayer-Runners Vs Corporation. (Personal opinion: It's a really nice idea, but in SC the point of the spies is being stealthy and using melee takedowns, and there's no any "big" stealth in ME for now. My idea with it is just to give the Runners a pistol and the Corp ARs)
-Takedown: works as Crysis 3's Hunter mode. 2 Runners with silenced pistols need to wipe off the Corporation one by one.
-Race: people racing each other to the finish. No guns, just runnin'. Maps would be randomly generated.
-Messenger (tweaked a bit, because I can't really understand how this would work out): A Runner needs to get his message delivered, by reaching a specific point in the map. He can just try and make a run for it, or he can use a knife to take down enemies. He's super agile but since he lacks protection @ range, finding him with no walls o' cover means an easy kill.
-Co-Op
-Weekly Challenge

-Improved hand-to-hand combat
-More colors, make the world look more vivid
-Keep the soundtrack's core from Mirror's Edge. Don't change it like you did with BF2-3.
-Adjustable FOV
-Having the option to drop the gun when you perform the take-down
-Water segments(?)
-Oculus Rift support
-Keep the same style of the cutscenes from the first ME

There's this huge suggestion comment in page 8 by GunnerManJake and it's pretty much organized, so read it too! (too big for the post)
Another multiplayer suggestion in page 10 by Sneakydud2

Community, now it's your chance to show DICE what you want in the game, so keep suggesting!
Cheers :D
I'm a crow
klaymond
Enlisted: 2012-03-04
2013-07-08 20:31
I wanted slightly improved gun-play. Nothing deviating, but definitely improved.
Notice: All of the above was a lie. And that. And that one too. I'm a lie. Don't believe anything I say. I SAID DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING I SAY! Why do you still believe? There is something incredibly off about you and it scares me. And you believed that...
AcesTwo
2013-07-08 20:45
klaymond said:
I wanted slightly improved gun-play. Nothing deviating, but definitely improved.

By how exactly? I don't believe BF or even CoD style gunplay would work
I'm a crow
bradnsc
AU Enlisted: 2012-01-30
2013-07-08 20:48
klaymond said:

guns were shit in the first one for a reason dude, they didn't want you to use them.
Brothers Under Fire - Death Before Dishonor
charliebidd
GB Enlisted: 2013-03-03
2013-07-08 20:50
How about a team based multiplayer, with five or so guys working together to do something against the corporation
AcesTwo
2013-07-08 20:52
charliebidd said:
How about a team based multiplayer, with five or so guys working together to do something against the corporation

Splinter Cell Spies Vs Mercs?
Good.
I'm a crow
charliebidd
2013-07-08 20:54
AcesTwo said:
charliebidd said:
Splinter Cell Spies Vs Mercs?
Good.

I was thinking more AI enemies while the players are messengers, but I guess why not both
ShinraSOLDIER77
US Enlisted: 2011-10-25
2013-07-08 20:54
DICE should make some more sub-sections to the forums. One for SWBF and another for Mirrors Edge.
Forumfields original Blackberry/Blueberry
LastedPillow87
US Enlisted: 2012-08-19
2013-07-08 20:55
You have some good ideas in there, but I'm sure anyone would choose the SMG class over a pistol class. For the sake of fairness, it should be everyone has the same thing. As you advance in the game, perhaps new pistols/knives can be unlocked and available for use. It is very important that the pistols are balanced, do a fair amount of damage, etc... For example, bringing in an M412 REX won't be fair. I look forward to the game, overall. :D
AcesTwo
2013-07-08 20:57
ShinraSOLDIER77 said:
DICE should make some more sub-sections to the forums. One for SWBF and another for Mirrors Edge.

I would still open the thread here, the point is getting suggestions from people who are not very "related" to the first game.
I'm a crow
charliebidd
2013-07-08 21:02
I got some multiplayer modes aces you can add to the OP
- One where it's messengers vs those corporation guys to either complete an objective or wipe out the other team, kinda like Crysis 3 Hunter mode
- Races, 10 people but all as ghosts so there isn't a line to walk across a pipe
- Survival, one messenger must complete an objective, while the other players are the corporation and must kill the messenger. The messenger can only kill by sneaking up behind the enemies and choking them to death. Once a corp player is killed, they go into a spectator mode where they can't talk to the players still in the game. This also counts for the 1st suggested game mode

Thats all I have so far, you can name them
ShinraSOLDIER77
US Enlisted: 2011-10-25
2013-07-08 21:07
AcesTwo said:
ShinraSOLDIER77 said:
I would still open the thread here, the point is getting suggestions from people who are not very "related" to the first game.

Well, yea, I never said it wasnt related here. But we need a place for these games so we dont clutter existing forums with other game topics. But until we actually get those forums, here is just about the best place if you want the idea actually discussed.

An overall general discussion forum would be nice too for the opinion you are seeking.

I imagine we'll get those sections soon. Maybe even a dedicated place on Battlelog for it.
Forumfields original Blackberry/Blueberry
-FuNkY-MoNk-UK
GB Enlisted: 2012-08-08
2013-07-08 21:09
charliebidd said:
- One where it's messengers vs those corporation guys to either complete an objective or wipe out the other team, kinda like Crysis 3 Hunter mode
- Races, 10 people but all as ghosts so there isn't a line to walk across a pipe
- Survival, one messenger must complete an objective, while the other players are the corporation and must kill the messenger. The messenger can only kill by sneaking up behind the enemies and choking them to death. Once a corp player is killed, they go into a spectator mode where they can't talk to the players still in the game. This also counts for the 1st suggested game mode

I like the idea of a race, so there's a building with a obstacle course (sorta like a trail) and the first to the top wins.
What if the Hokey Cokey really IS what it's all about ?
AcesTwo
2013-07-08 21:12
charliebidd said:

Added.
-FuNkY-MoNk-UK said:
charliebidd said:

I like the idea of a race, so there's a building with a obstacle course (sorta like a trail) and the first to the top wins.

Randomly generated would be cool actually.
I'm a crow
charliebidd
2013-07-08 21:31
AcesTwo said:
-FuNkY-MoNk-UK said:
charliebidd said:

Randomly generated would be cool actually.

Yeah, it would stop people dominating because they know the quickest routes
VincentNZ
DE Enlisted: 2011-10-25
2013-07-08 22:32
-FuNkY-MoNk-UK said:
charliebidd said:

Should be a random make up though...otherwise there would tend to be a perfect route that everybody knows. So everytime you start a race it will be a random set-up made from a thousand possible pieces or so in different settings and localities.

The only way I would want a combat based gamemode is a hunted mode where one runner has to flee or deliver a message, while the others try to stop him.

As for singleplayer: Less need to combat (maybe stealth yet it is a parcour game, so I do not see the need to slow it down), more reliability with the melee attacks, less gun use. People need to realise that this game was never meant to be about gunfights, I hope DICE sticks at that.
Most importantly I want speed and bonuses from it.There was that slow motion thing in the first game, which was cool, maybe we could deepen it a it yet I do not know how. But while the game was very intuitive there were still things just blocking your momentum or ways that were just not that clear. I do not want a sign that says "go through here", but when hindering my momentum it was annoying. Also there were not really many alternative routes that were actually worthwhile, that should change.

With the open-world them this opens up a whole new level for parcour crazy stuff. I mean you just have to browse youtube to see sceneries and settings possible, vast industry parks, green areas, skyscrapers, anything is possible really. And a living city with lots of stuff to do and with people in it would be great. I do not know how that would work with the sterile atmosphere but I am sure there would be solutions. Also there should be many levels of the city, all should be attractive and fast to move on, but the street level should be slower. So I want, skyscrapers, smaller buildings, cellars, underground garages, metros, etc. Yet I think it might be too much too handle even for frostbyte.

Ah and just came across an idea for a co-op mode. Basically like a hunted mode, but with two people running around on different tracks and they have to pass these suitcases over to one another at some point of the map, basically like a relay race. so you are running around about 50m apart and then there is a zone where you have to pass, and you have to reach this zone simultaneously for that pass to work, then the ways split further away again, and the one without the case hase to catch up again by taking another route and overtake the carrier again basically. then the whole thing starts again. Add ac ouple of AI fights or player controlled hunters. That mode would need some fine-tuning thinking as well but I thought it would be cool.

Ah and the most important thing is: NO MORE ELEVATORS!
charliebidd
2013-07-08 22:44 , edited 2013-07-08 22:45 by charliebidd
VincentNZ said:
-FuNkY-MoNk-UK said:
charliebidd said:

Should be a random make up though...otherwise there would tend to be a perfect route that everybody knows. So everytime you start a race it will be a random set-up made from a thousand possible pieces or so in different settings and localities.

The only way I would want a combat based gamemode is a hunted mode where one runner has to flee or deliver a message, while the others try to stop him.

As for singleplayer: Less need to combat (maybe stealth yet it is a parcour game, so I do not see the need to slow it down), more reliability with the melee attacks, less gun use. People need to realise that this game was never meant to be about gunfights, I hope DICE sticks at that.
Most importantly I want speed and bonuses from it.There was that slow motion thing in the first game, which was cool, maybe we could deepen it a it yet I do not know how. But while the game was very intuitive there were still things just blocking your momentum or ways that were just not that clear. I do not want a sign that says "go through here", but when hindering my momentum it was annoying. Also there were not really many alternative routes that were actually worthwhile, that should change.

With the open-world them this opens up a whole new level for parcour crazy stuff. I mean you just have to browse youtube to see sceneries and settings possible, vast industry parks, green areas, skyscrapers, anything is possible really. And a living city with lots of stuff to do and with people in it would be great. I do not know how that would work with the sterile atmosphere but I am sure there would be solutions. Also there should be many levels of the city, all should be attractive and fast to move on, but the street level should be slower. So I want, skyscrapers, smaller buildings, cellars, underground garages, metros, etc. Yet I think it might be too much too handle even for frostbyte.

Ah and just came across an idea for a co-op mode. Basically like a hunted mode, but with two people running around on different tracks and they have to pass these suitcases over to one another at some point of the map, basically like a relay race. so you are running around about 50m apart and then there is a zone where you have to pass, and you have to reach this zone simultaneously for that pass to work, then the ways split further away again, and the one without the case hase to catch up again by taking another route and overtake the carrier again basically. then the whole thing starts again. Add ac ouple of AI fights or player controlled hunters. That mode would need some fine-tuning thinking as well but I thought it would be cool.

Ah and the most important thing is: NO MORE ELEVATORS!

I like the idea of a Co-op mode, just make sure consoles then support splitscreen mode
That would be a selling point for a lot of people
PVT-NUB
FI Enlisted: 2011-12-24
2013-07-08 22:45
This all sounds good, how about you post this in the right section?
Nothing to do with Battlefield 4.
charliebidd
2013-07-08 22:48
PVT-NUB said:

Well since there is no ME2 page and Other things is mainly where the Bronies meet, he is asking for this to be a sticky like the SWB one British Assassin did
VincentNZ
DE Enlisted: 2011-10-25
2013-07-08 22:50
PVT-NUB said:

It is because there is a Battlefront feedback thread stickied, and the OP specifically asked for this one to be stickied as well. Also he wanted to get opinions of people that are not really in the target audience yet to get other fresh insights.

And I think it has a bit to do with BF4 as well. Just as ME 1 did with BF3, just play Mirror's Edge and then watch yourself vault over stuff in BF. Crazy how similar this looks albeit, ME was on the Unreal Engine.