Thread is locked.

***CRASH PROBLEM - POSSIBLE WORKAROUND -***

striker475
AU Enlisted: 2011-10-26
2011-10-27 10:58 , edited 2011-10-27 14:15 by striker475
NOT 100% GUARANTEED, BUT PRETTY GOOD NONETHELESS - MANY PEOPLE REPORTING SUCCESS.

*******************32BIT ONLY - SORRY TO 64BIT USERS***********************

I've been having the crash problem - games in MP crashing in ~5mins, and SP crashing every so often. Found the solution from another game actually where I was having a similar problem - Empire: Total War.

BE AWARE, THIS IS ONLY A WORKAROUND - THE ISSUE STILL NEEDS TO BE FIXED. THIS IS A FIX FOR THOSE RUNNING 32BIT WINDOWS 7 AND WINDOWS VISA WITH 4GB RAM OR MORE.

From here on, I'm copy-pasting the instructions. This works for both Vista and W7. Got me through 20mins of MP for the first time though - longest game I've had. Haven't tested for longer.


What does it do?
It has to do two things that both rely on each other to work. For 32 bit operating systems we have to tell the operating system it can use more than 2GB user address space, 2.5GB actually, while leaving 1.5Gb for the kernel. We also have to set the Empire.exe executable to be allowed to address beyond the 2GB ceiling. 64 bit OS users don't have to do anything.

What does it help with?
This is not the solution for all crashes. It deals primarily with the crash to desktop that is caused by lack of virtual address space.Due to the unique nature of how addresses are mapped differently on each machine this crash may happen at different places and times of the game, even loading a map, menu or waiting on an AI turn. If you try this fix, and you follow directions properly, and it doesn't help you then your crash is due to something else.

How do I do it?
Follow directions explicitly. I have seen people consistently skip steps or not read the directions properly so it doesn't work for them whne they don't do what it says. it's not as complicated as it sounds, I'm just being thorough.

APPLY THE WORKAROUND (juicy caramel center)

Requirements

Only real requirements is that you have atleast 2GB RAM. You don't need beyond that even though we are allowing addressing up to 2.5 GB. Also following instructions and being somewhat familiar with working with files in windows is required. Make sure you are using Vista SP1. If not then you need this hotfix that fixes a major blunder with Vista address space - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/940105 [support.microsoft.com]
That's all, follow the 3 steps.

1) Prepare the operating system to be able to use beyone 2GB address space with a userva of 2.5GB (only 32 bit OS's need to do this): I am purposely using only 2500 for userva for specific reasons and any more will likely not be needed, as a result the kernel will have plenty of space to play in.

All 64 bit OS's
Nothing to do on the OS. Proceed to step 2 on setting the executable. 64 bit OS's running 32 bit binaries are also limited to 2GB application space.

XP 32
* Find your Boot.ini located usually on the C:.
If you cannot see it, you probably have system files hidden, then follow these instructions at microsoft (also uncheck "hide protected operating system files")
* Right click on the boot.ini and choose properties. Uncheck "read only"
* Open the boot.ini by double clicking it.
* Under the section called find the line that says "multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Windows XP Professional...". Yours may look a bit different. We are going to make a duplicate, so that if you make a mistake you will not harm yourself from booting into your computer. Drag you're mouse across the entire line, right click and choose copy. Then right below the line you just copied right click your mouse and choose paste. You should now have two lines one after another that are exact duplicates.
* Change the bottom line that you just copied with the following addition on the end. Add a space at the end of the line and then this without the quotes "/3GB /USERVA=2500"
* In that lower boot entry you just made, find the name of the operating system in quotes and change it to something like "Windows XP 3GB", so you can differentiate at boot up.
* Close and save the boot.ini.
* Right click on the boot.ini, hit properties, check read only.

Windows 7/Windows Vista
* In Windows 7/Vista go to Start menu. Go to Accessories. Locate the command prompt shortcut and hover mouse over it. Right Click on the shortcut then select Run as Administrator.
* In the command prompt type this exactly: bcdedit /set increaseuserva 2500. Then hit enter.
* Make sure you get a message back confirming the change was made. To verify the entry is there you can type just bcdedit, hit enter, and you should see the entry now listed.
* Then close the command prompt. You just told Vista to increase user virtual address (userva) space to 2500MB.
* Changes take effect on reboot but don't reboot yet.

SUMMARY
We extended the user virtual address space in XP, Vista and 7 to 2500MB, so now applications can utilize up to that much if they are set to be Large Address Aware. While some 32 bit games/applications are set, Empire is not.

2) Now reboot the PC because Windows needs to set the userva at 2500 which only happens after startup.

If you skip any step it will not work. When you have rebooted you should be good to go. Run the game as normal with the original game shortcut.

TO UNDO THE CHANGES
For the XP 32 bit just delete the line from your boot.ini.
For Vista 32 Open command prompt as administrator and type: bcdedit /deletevalue increaseuserva. That deletes the entry.
Reboot and you are back to normal.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE IF THIS WORKS COME BACK AND BUMP TO HELP OTHERS
DonkeySchote
DE Enlisted: 2011-10-25
2011-10-27 11:02 , edited 2011-10-27 11:03 by DonkeySchote
striker475 said:
I've been having the crash problem too. Found the solution from another game actually where I was having a similar problem - Empire: Total War.
PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE IF THIS WORKS COME BACK AND BUMP TO HELP OTHERS



Sorry, just to clarfiy:

Which symptoms have you had prior to applying this fix?
Did this fix help you?

Thank you
-Thomas
VoidlingHD
NO Enlisted: 2011-10-24
2011-10-27 11:03
Didnt need a fix.. but wanna bump and thank u for ur effort getting more people to the battlefield :)
striker475
AU Enlisted: 2011-10-26
2011-10-27 11:03
Kampfkeks84 said:
striker475 said:
I've been having the crash problem too. Found the solution from another game actually where I was having a similar problem - Empire: Total War.
PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE IF THIS WORKS COME BACK AND BUMP TO HELP OTHERS


Sorry, just to clarfiy:

Which symptoms have you had prior to applying this fix?
Did this fix help you?

Thank you
-Thomas
I'll put in top post. But typical of most others - random crashes in MP and SP. Primarily MP but some in SP.
MrLoveNuuget
IL Enlisted: 2011-10-25
2011-10-27 11:45
Is this sepose to fix the directx error with the memory leak?
Not sure about this "solution"....
alifkhafaji98
Enlisted: 2011-10-25
2011-10-27 11:46
I just did this tweak for win7 32 bit. Worked Semi, but I did crash after one whole game.
Mind you this is changed from not lasting more than a minuet before. so it seems to work!
striker475
AU Enlisted: 2011-10-26
2011-10-27 11:48 , edited 2011-10-27 11:50 by striker475
MrLoveNuuget said:
Is this sepose to fix the directx error with the memory leak?
Not sure about this "solution"....

Well I'm not sure if it's DirectX related, but it got more playtime out of it for me and at least one other (so far).

If it's a bad memory leak then there's no amount of adjustment you can do I suppose as regardless you'll be stuck. What it does allow is a freeing up of resources for Battlefield though that Windows didn't recognise before.
MrLoveNuuget
IL Enlisted: 2011-10-25
2011-10-27 11:51 , edited 2011-10-27 11:51 by MrLoveNuuget
Thanks for the efford man,i am going to try it when i get back after work.
striker475
AU Enlisted: 2011-10-26
2011-10-27 11:52
MrLoveNuuget said:
Thanks for the efford man,i am going to try it when i get back after work.

No worries. I just hope it can get bumped enough and/or stickied so that others can use it until DICE patch it.
Sou1Tak3r
NO Enlisted: 2011-10-24
2011-10-27 11:59
Leave a reply...
striker475 said:
Kampfkeks84 said:
striker475 said:
I've been having the crash problem too. Found the solution from another game actually where I was having a similar problem - Empire: Total War.
PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE IF THIS WORKS COME BACK AND BUMP TO HELP OTHERS


Sorry, just to clarfiy:

Which symptoms have you had prior to applying this fix?
Did this fix help you?

Thank you
-Thomas
I'll put in top post. But typical of most others - random crashes in MP and SP. Primarily MP but some in SP.
With crash do you mean CTD or freeze and then ctrl alt del to close the game?
sleipslange
NO Enlisted: 2011-10-27
2011-10-27 12:03
Thx for trying to fix this! I just got a question. Im a big time noob within computer, all i know is how to play games and innstal drivers and search for porn..
As you wrote, this is only for those who use 32.. im using 64. Should i give it a try or could i ruin/bug something up by doing so? And if i do this, do i have to return the settings to default by some time? I reeeeeeeeeally dont want to do anything at this point that can fuck up future gaming.

I also got the same crashing problems. Always go back to desktop(and can`t go back to the game again.. Sound is still on though) after going out of the humvee in the first mission as a soldier.

"DirectX function "getDecviceRemovedReason" failed with
DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_HUNG: Device hung due to badly formed
commands.. GPU: "NVIDIA Gefore GTX 560Ti", Driver:28562"

Cheers.
TunaBarrett
SE Enlisted: 2011-10-27
2011-10-27 12:11 , edited 2011-10-27 12:12 by TunaBarrett
I get "The Boot configuration data store could not be opened. Access is denied" when i try this in win7, what do?

*Edit* Being less retarded and running CMD prompt as admin did the trick.
striker475
AU Enlisted: 2011-10-26
2011-10-27 12:21
sleipslange said:
Thx for trying to fix this! I just got a question. Im a big time noob within computer, all i know is how to play games and innstal drivers and search for porn..
As you wrote, this is only for those who use 32.. im using 64. Should i give it a try or could i ruin/bug something up by doing so? And if i do this, do i have to return the settings to default by some time? I reeeeeeeeeally dont want to do anything at this point that can fuck up future gaming.

I also got the same crashing problems. Always go back to desktop(and can`t go back to the game again.. Sound is still on though) after going out of the humvee in the first mission as a soldier.

"DirectX function "getDecviceRemovedReason" failed with
DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_HUNG: Device hung due to badly formed
commands.. GPU: "NVIDIA Gefore GTX 560Ti", Driver:28562"

Cheers.
I'm not sure how to fix using 64. Obviously its not only a 32bit issue, but I've simply copied this across from a similar problem on a different game.

Another results note: just ran a 35min play session, absolutely no dramas.
Sou1Tak3r
NO Enlisted: 2011-10-24
2011-10-27 12:39
please answer my question OP
DontKillKenny1
Enlisted: 2011-10-26
2011-10-27 13:01
Hell yeah! Worked for me!

I used the command bcdedit /set increaseuserva 2500.

Win 7 32bit, Q6600 @ 3Ghz, Ati 6950.

I had after 5min a Crash in MP und sometimes Crashes in SP also. I played about 30min Online without a Crash!
Thank you OP!
LiveAmmo
GB Enlisted: 2011-10-25
2011-10-27 13:04
Played 3 full rounds without crashing, as opposed to not even being able to finish a round, after using this fix. Thank you very much, hope it continues to work and prove helpful for others too.
striker475
AU Enlisted: 2011-10-26
2011-10-27 13:30
Sou1Tak3r said:
please answer my question OP
apologies. it'd lockup completely in game then if I left it long enough it'd crash. I ended up just C+A+Ding it to speed up the process though.

Great to see more good results!
rasmax1337
Enlisted: 2011-10-24
2011-10-27 13:36
we`ve played for about 2 hours in a row then it crashed ... but somehow 2 hours are quite good i think for BF 3 ^^

thanks alot it helps much!!!!!!
striker475
AU Enlisted: 2011-10-26
2011-10-27 13:38
rasmax1337 said:
we`ve played for about 2 hours in a row then it crashed ... but somehow 2 hours are quite good i think for BF 3 ^^

thanks alot it helps much!!!!!!

No problem. I still get the occasional crash - but it's not the same problem. This seems to correct the main short-term crash problem. Not sure what the others are caused by - but they're intermittent so it doesn't matter anywhere near as much. I'm getting good play sessions of at least an hour now without a crash.

Now we need to get someone to STICKY THIS THING
Thornscape
RU Enlisted: 2011-10-24
2011-10-27 13:46 , edited 2011-10-27 13:53 by Thornscape
Work for me up to 32 ppl servers. Thanks a lot to OP.

Plz stick this thread.
 
Thread is locked.
Thread is locked.