Users on 32-bit operating systems have reported problems with installing the Battlelog web plugin and using Google Chrome. We're working to have this issue resolved before the end of the week. Affected users are encouraged to temporarily use another web browser.

Best Control Setup for Jet Flying

HuntingTheHunter
US Enlisted: 2011-11-26
2012-06-19 23:34
Just wondering what other people's thoughts were on the best control setup to fly jets effectively. I have a joystick, but I found it hard to aim the machine gun with. I am now trying to get used to flying with the keyboard only. What do you guys think is the best control setup for jets?
xX69yourmom69Xx
US Enlisted: 2012-06-05
2012-06-20 06:03 , edited 2012-06-20 06:04 by xX69yourmom69Xx
1) Obtain an Xbox 360 controller
2) Set the controls default from Xbox
3) Fly a jet
My computer is a quad-core i5-2400 at 3.1 GHz with 8 gbs of RAM, my graphics card is literally a potato. Say hello to 640x480 minimum settings at 20 fps.
ATRmayo
SE Enlisted: 2011-10-24
2012-06-20 06:19
dont listen to these console players... keep training/using your joystick.
Look dad, a signature.
ephexx793
Enlisted: 2011-10-29
2012-06-20 06:20
It all comes with time and muscle memory, to be honest. Sounds cliche but there's no way anyone can tell you how to move your hands / joystick - just keep practicing and noting what works best and remember how you did it physically. It will all come with time.
DoMonRai: A lot of sweating men, shooting their huge guns in close quarters, well... sounds to me like they're all playing for the other team. ^^
Hard1__Pepino
US Enlisted: 2011-12-25
2012-06-20 06:38
ps3 for me, does anyone get a vehicle disable on a jeep wit guided missle its retarded dude on a vehicle with no armour no does or nothing wide open and get disable
bf3 gonna end up just like COD did piece of shit
ephexx793
Enlisted: 2011-10-29
2012-06-20 06:49
looneymessi25 said:
bf3 gonna end up just like COD did piece of shit

Thanks to you console players!

I do agree, though, and even when I shot a car with an RPG it's always just a vehicle-disabled - the gunner doesn't even die inside. That's just a bit rediculous, but for balancing purposes...... It's there.
DoMonRai: A lot of sweating men, shooting their huge guns in close quarters, well... sounds to me like they're all playing for the other team. ^^
Patoooo1
US Enlisted: 2011-12-18
2012-06-20 06:49
Whatever makes you feel more comfortable.
xXx-Arquin-xXx
FM Enlisted: 2011-11-23
2012-06-20 08:35
I fly with joystick. I have always flown with joystick.

In bf3 it still offers the best maneuverability, although aiming is going to take some practice.

In the end, it's worth it. A pro joystick pilot is going to be a pro mouse pilot.

wildcookie007
LT Enlisted: 2011-10-28
2012-06-20 08:44
Gamepads,joysticks are useless with Jets, they lack precision and accuracy in shooting. Use your keyboard and your mouse

W,S - Throttle
A,D - Small turns to left and right side.

Up arrow - pitch down
Down arrow - pitch up
Left arrow - roll left
Right arrow -roll right

Space - shoot

F - change weapons

Shift - afterburner.

Whenever you turn around using keyboard, switch from arrows to mouse for more accurate and precise aiming to infantry.. Use arrows for jet take downs if they use the same settings or gamepads . Use mouse to take down basic mouse,wasd only users ( you will spot that they suck at turning, dont pay attention to other jets)
AII-lN
GB Enlisted: 2011-10-24
2012-06-20 09:05 , edited 2012-06-20 09:09 by AII-lN
Your advice is useless - the time he will consume switching from arrows (what the heck you need them for) to mouse, is the time he will either crash or will get killed - what you suggest is basically a 3-hand system that, apart from the situation in whitch you are mutated is awkward at best.

NEVER use arrows, practice with a mouse with high sensivity.

Bind "Pitch UP" under the spacebar, you will shoot with LMB anyways so why the hell you would use space for it - and pitch up under spacebar is the best bind of all, and gives you constant perfect control in turning when learned to use correctly. That will also eliminae disadvantage you have when turning with mouse only - using only mouse without pitch up spacebar will make you underperform, and will lead to many mistakes that will get you killed.

If you have extra mouse buttons bind weapon change to them.
I just like shooting people.
wildcookie007
LT Enlisted: 2011-10-28
2012-06-20 09:13 , edited 2012-06-20 09:17 by wildcookie007
You surely need to check on top 10 jet players in battlefield 3. You use space to shoot if the person you are dogfighting with doesn't use mouse for pitching, in that case your pitching speed is the same everytime and there wouldn't be much of an overshooting

EDIT : You suggested mostly the same thing I talked about, but with 2 hands, it depends on comfortability, when player is comfortable with the settings he use, in your case, that would be uncomofortable for me, that's why I'm giving some criticism. But it's not about us in this thread, we are helping other people.
Elusivevisions
Enlisted: 2011-10-30
2012-06-20 09:33
do following and you will be pro in no times= put a duke tape on mini gun and missiles button.
.44 Magnum P90 C4
AII-lN
GB Enlisted: 2011-10-24
2012-06-20 09:37
If you can pitch correctly, you don't have to correct it with mouse movements anyways, but you still CAN, that's the advantage. Space gives you same control as up arrow, but you still can correct the pitch, while with up key pitching you need to press up/down instead of slight mouse movement.

I see that someone MIGHT find it comfortable, but it's just not ergonimic in terms of reducing the actual input time. Mouse being analog control, in comparsion to digital keyboard press will always give you better aim - well, if not "always" then 9 out of 10 times.
I just like shooting people.
f1skegarn
JP Enlisted: 2011-10-30
2012-06-20 11:32
AII-iN said:
Your advice is useless - the time he will consume switching from arrows (what the heck you need them for) to mouse, is the time he will either crash or will get killed - what you suggest is basically a 3-hand system that, apart from the situation in whitch you are mutated is awkward at best.

NEVER use arrows, practice with a mouse with high sensivity.

Bind "Pitch UP" under the spacebar, you will shoot with LMB anyways so why the hell you would use space for it - and pitch up under spacebar is the best bind of all, and gives you constant perfect control in turning when learned to use correctly. That will also eliminae disadvantage you have when turning with mouse only - using only mouse without pitch up spacebar will make you underperform, and will lead to many mistakes that will get you killed.

If you have extra mouse buttons bind weapon change to them.

What he said.
Sifor10
AU Enlisted: 2011-10-25
2012-06-20 13:06 , edited 2012-06-20 13:06 by Sifor10
Personally, I use a joystick. I find there are certain evasive manoeuvres that I find are made easier with it compared to the keyboard + mouse option.

What's important no matter the setup is practice. Fly fly fly and learn how to aim with the cannon. I often snipe people on the ground with the jet cannon... not that hard once you get the feel for it.

FYI my setup is:

W, S = throttle.
Shift = AB
A, D = yaw
C = view
F = change weapon

Stick for pitch and roll.
Trigger on stick for cannon

So I'm kinda a hybrid :P
achillespecies
SG Enlisted: 2011-10-24
2012-06-20 19:11
mouse + keyboard for me....
i prefer to balance maneuvring with the left hand (keyboard) and right hand (mouse)... this way you wont end up mashing too many keys on your left hand while in a complicated dogfight
left hand will control speed, and pitching..... right hand will do yaw and aiming

W, S = pitch up / pitch down (easy to do continuous loops with, just hold W and maintain airspeed)
A, D = yaw
Shift = Afterburner AND throttle up (saves me one more keybind)
Space = airbrake/throttle down
R = free look (something you should do while taking off)

Mouse X-axis = pitch up / pitch down (will use mouse pitch for aiming helis, tanks, infantry; keyboard pitch for aiming enemy jets and maneuvring)
Mouse Y-axis = roll (i'm more of a heli pilot in bf3, so using this as roll is almost similar to heli's rotor tilting)
Mouse side button 1 = spot/comms (important if you want to aim for infantry)
Mouse side button 2 = 3rd person view
Middle mouse button = switch weapons
Mouse 1 = fire
Mouse 2 = countermeasures
-= Whats beyond this moment; is hidden in Time =-