Planetside 2 > Battlefield (Discussion)

Naveos
SE Enlisted: 2011-10-26
2012-06-21 14:51 , edited 2012-06-21 14:54 by Naveos
Let's face it. Battlefield 3 was, down to the core, set back due to EAs greed, forcing DICE to compete with Activision and their major title: Call of Duty.

Back in the days, Battlefield and Call of Duty were two very different games. They had very different playstyles, and they were not even compared to each other due to their distinctive gameplay. But now, they are competiting and compared constantly (ie BF3 vs MW3 flame war).

Most of us that have played Battlefield since Battlefield 1942, may be disapointed of what the franchise has become. Most of us had big hopes for what Battlefield 3 may bring. But upon release, I know many became very disapointed to only find 3 true battlefield maps (Caspian Borders, Kharg Island and Operation: Firestorm), the rest were just close quarters combat aimed for the Call of Duty-audience.

I am not sure about how many of you that know about Planetside 2, but below is a very small summary.
Planetside 2 is essentially Battlefield 2143, except not bound to EAs greed. Actually, cross what I just said. Planetside 2 seems to be much better than any Battlefield game, ever. Now, don't hate on me yet. Let us not forget that Planetside 2 will be completely free to play, with constant and regular updates. It will be funded with minor transactions, but not a Pay 2 Win game. Anything that affects gameplay can be bought with in-game money, earned from playing.

Below is a text copied from Reddit:
"Why pay $50 for vanilla BF3 + $50 for the premium DLC when you can spend far less (and potentially $0) for:
+ A better metagame (resources, factions, outfits, persistence, commanders)
+ Better teamwork (in-game VOIP, outfits, better squads)
+ More vehicles (a gunship you can actually fly, transports, solo vehicles, unique aircraft and tanks with actual variations)
+ Better combat (rock-paper-scissors balance and not "1 man army". more defined front lines, flanking, tactical squads - all with up to ~30 times more players)
+ Better maps (size, variation, day/night cycles, unique bases)
+ More customization (implants, weapons, cosmetics)
+ Server limit of 2000 players per continent. Imagine battles with hundreds of soldiers, with unlimited aircrafts, tanks and whatnot. True warfare.
All kinds of misc stuff like: more options for lower-end systems, app/website integration to the game, stealth with counters)
I'm sure I'm missing some stuff."

So I am curious. How many of you TRUE battlefield veterans that have played the franchise before Bad Company will leave this now corrupted franchise from EA's greed and join the real persistant battle of the decade?
Basically PS2 is looking to be what everyone hoped BF3 would be.
VeparS
US Enlisted: 2011-11-02
2012-06-21 14:54 , edited 2012-06-21 14:55 by VeparS
Free to play
Pay to win

You been warned lol.

Honestly it would be a major embarrassment to EA if that game does better then this. We can't judge till it is a final release (Beta shows promise nothing major)
I had to pay $50.00 to say this? O.o
SmashT_AU
AU Enlisted: 2011-10-24
2012-06-21 14:55
I'll be playing both, hooah!
JamiePrittPeters
US Enlisted: 2011-10-24
2012-06-21 14:55 , edited 2012-06-21 14:56 by JamiePrittPeters
Yup......get pwned unless you pay. Just like karkand and CQ weapons..... Wait until people have guns way better than yours and you will not be saying this.

Im willing to pay something reasonable.
Naveos
2012-06-21 14:56 , edited 2012-06-21 14:57 by Naveos
The game isn't Pay2Win.
SOE (Developers of PlanetSide 2) have stressed it enough. Everything that affects gameplay can be bought with in-game money that you earn from playing.
RL money can only buy cosmetics such as camos.

Therefor, your arguments are invalid.
Youdsy24
GB Enlisted: 2011-10-24
2012-06-21 14:56
their also implementing a dynamic weather system post release.

plus smoke from explosions will create clouds in sky which will, of course, cast dynamic shadows.
-kD-Sirslicey
US Enlisted: 2011-10-26
2012-06-21 14:57
I am extremely disappointed with BF3. It's such a downgrade in so many ways from 2142/BF2. They took one step forward with graphics, and 2 step backs in gameplay.
http://www.global-conflict.org/
VeparS
Some don't see it, free to pay is basically a demo version of the game, by the time you realize your actually competitive you will spend more then $50 on content and game features.
Izithel
NL Enlisted: 2011-10-26
VeparS said:
Free to play
Pay to win

You been warned lol.

Honestly it would be a major embarrassment to EA if that game does better then this. We can't judge till it is a final release (Beta shows promise nothing major)

Actually, all their micro transactions are skins and such, maybe exp boosts but not actual power.
Ofcourse if they do introduce P2W transactions they would kill their game.
Your reply might be very witty, but you're still feeding the troll.
Kreskysaurusrex
GL Enlisted: 2011-10-25
2012-06-21 14:58 , edited 2012-06-21 14:58 by Kreskysaurusrex
VeparS said:
Free to play
Pay to win

You been warned lol.

They have said they will be using a similar structure to what League of Legends uses, and as far as I can see, LoL is far from Pay 2 Win.
Nothing amazing ever happens here.
sarkasm0
UY Enlisted: 2011-10-25
2012-06-21 14:58
VeparS said:
Free to play
Pay to win
Do you even support bro?
Naveos
2012-06-21 14:58 , edited 2012-06-21 14:59 by Naveos
Youdsy24 said:
their also implementing a dynamic weather system post release.

plus smoke from explosions will create clouds in sky which will, of course, cast dynamic shadows.

True. They have alot of plans for post-release patches.
And I want to repeat myself: This game will not be a Pay2Win.
Reason is simple.

Pay2Win scares off none-payers. Less none-payers equals less players. Less players equals less fun and less potential buyers.
The game has been in development for a few years, and ever since announcement, they've kept saying: "This game will be Free2Play and not Pay2Win."

It will use a very similar marketing strategy as League of Legends, for those that have played the game.
And they have a strict non-Pay2Win policy.
VeparS
2012-06-21 15:00
There is ALWAYS a catch to free to play games. Despite what EA did to this game ( I might get flamed for this) EA is a company if a company says "we won't charge its free etc etc there IS a catch. I'd rather wait till PS2 is released then decide if its better then BF3.
CptainCrunch
US Enlisted: 2011-10-25
2012-06-21 15:01
Time to bring PS2 up to defeat BF3. Whats the game after that one?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ygr5AHufBN4 http://youtu.be/Cxhs-GLE29Q
Naveos
2012-06-21 15:01 , edited 2012-06-21 15:03 by Naveos
VeparS said:
There is ALWAYS a catch to free to play games. Despite what EA did to this game ( I might get flamed for this) EA is a company if a company says "we won't charge its free etc etc there IS a catch. I'd rather wait till PS2 is released then decide if its better then BF3.

Ever played League of Legends, Tribes: Ascend or Blacklight: Retribution?
Those are all games that are strictly Free2Play and never been Pay2Win.
No matter how much you spend on those games, you won't be better... ever.

And that is what makes those games so much fun. There is never any unfair gameplay.

Tell me why there should be a catch.
Because there is none. The Free2Play and no-Pay2Win strategy has a very legit strategy, and may generate more profit than Pay2Wins.
Just a few days ago, Age of Empires Online went completely Free2Play and got rid of their Pay2Win.
Kreskysaurusrex
2012-06-21 15:02
VeparS said:

As I said, they have confirmed a similar model to what League of Legends uses, and that game is far from a P2W game.
Ice_
SE Enlisted: 2011-10-25
I think that BF3 really went into CoD territory with the new expansion. It's not that I dislike or think that close quarter combat is similar to CoD (I love close quarter combat!), but in the new expansion, enemies seem to spawn behind you aka CoD style, I don't know why that is, maybe it's a bug or maybe it's something else but the feeling is still there - enemies spawn behind you!

Planetside 2 will rock <3.
Roo-8ear
Enlisted: 2011-12-26
i'd rather pay nothing and get raped than pay a lot of money......to get raped.

lets be honest cheaters are going to be rampant on planetside too, so i may as well get the same experience on that as i do here for free.
Naveos
2012-06-21 15:03
Ice_ said:
I think that BF3 really went into CoD territory with the new expansion. It's not that I dislike or think that close quarter combat is similar to CoD (I love close quarter combat!), but in the new expansion, enemies seem to spawn behind you aka CoD style, I don't know why that is, maybe it's a bug or maybe it's something else but the feeling is still there - enemies spawn behind you!

Planetside 2 will rock &lt;3.

What I am trying to say.
Kreskysaurusrex
2012-06-21 15:04
Roo-8ear said:
i'd rather pay nothing and get raped than pay a lot of money......to get raped.

lets be honest cheaters are going to be rampant on planetside too, so i may as well get the same experience on that as i do here for free.

Funny that you now mention cheaters.
Ofc, there will always be cheaters, but in PS2 there will be live server admins on 24/7. If someone suddenly behaves weird, they will check it out. Much better than only relying on something like Punkbuster.