Bf4, the attack helicopter, and YOU

Zorlox420
CA Enlisted: 2012-04-24
2013-06-16 12:48 , edited 2013-06-16 13:11 by Zorlox420
personally. i think if you're off the ground the thing should just blow up if you switch seats. that or lock seats when in the air.

on the way the choppers fly. I don't know if i'm the only one but I very much preferred them in bf2 so much so that i went from going all out choppers in bf2 to not even playing them in bf3.it just feels so restricting, for lack of a better word. I think this is more of a console/port issue though, but that's just speculation on my part, I can't even imagine how one could pull the stunts we used to in bf2 with a paddle. let alone fly the thing

btw, major nostalgia about not having some tunnels like in kubra dam to fly through, with choppers and jets. those are the kinds of 'f yeah' moments that stick with ya. then again, with the lack of fine control I doubt you could even manage it with these air vehicles.
iII_ODIN_IIi
Enlisted: 2012-01-13
2013-06-16 13:19
Are you mad you got owned by a good chopper crew? Yeah seems like it.
People still tell others to go back to cod? lol
Enjoy

I am a heli pilot and I know that heli is overpowered. And you would be owned with my crew so don't show that usless battlereport... trust me you are nothing.l I see that people like you who can play only NORMAL (pathetic dude) will always stand against every chance of making heli less powerful.

And I am not mad...I just lose faith in players when I see kids who writes such stupid posts. There is no even meaning behind those sentences LOL
And MRMX3R...as a pilto you really sux. :DDDD 9-3? whole round? Really? :D You just do nothing? :D :DDDD
mrmxer
Enlisted: 2012-01-03
2013-06-16 13:25
O_iO-uIIu-Oi_O said:
Are you mad you got owned by a good chopper crew? Yeah seems like it.
People still tell others to go back to cod? lol
Enjoy
I am a heli pilot and I know that heli is overpowered. And you would be owned with my crew so don't show that usless battlereport... trust me you are nothing.l I see that people like you who can play only NORMAL (pathetic dude) will always stand against every chance of making heli less powerful.

And I am not mad...I just lose faith in players when I see kids who writes such stupid posts. There is no even meaning behind those sentences LOL
And MRMX3R...as a pilto you really sux. :DDDD 9-3? whole round? Really? :D You just do nothing? :D :DDDD

Nice accuracy.
iII_ODIN_IIi
2013-06-16 13:29
Nice accuracy.

Nice score :D If you say you played agressive style...then how many will you get with non-agressive style :DDD
funny dude :) Now i see why invisible rotors are good for you :D
mrmxer
2013-06-16 13:31
O_iO-uIIu-Oi_O said:
Nice accuracy.
Nice score :D If you say you played agressive style...then how many will you get with non-agressive style :DDD
funny dude :) Now i see why invisible rotors are good for you :D

Pilot doesn't get kills, gunner does.
britisharmysas
GB Enlisted: 2011-10-28
2013-06-16 13:36
bf2 had proper heli and jet physics in bf3 they just went back to minecraft physics in my opinion as they totally lost the plot when making bf3 heli and jet.

is amazing how dice once made bf2 and then eagames got rid of them for newer dice team or something like that and then decided in there stupid wisdom to make the heli not be able to do more than 45 degree turns
gtx660 superclocked // amd fx 6300 black edition 4.5ghz // 2 x 4gb corsair vengeance ram // hyper evo 212 cooler // 700 watt silent psu // 1tb hybrid hard drive // M5A78L-M motherboard // windows 8.1 pro RTM
iII_ODIN_IIi
2013-06-16 13:38

:D yeah...useless missiles and heat seekers right? :D
than better play alone :D you will at least have fun :D
mrmxer
2013-06-16 13:48
O_iO-uIIu-Oi_O said:
:D yeah...useless missiles and heat seekers right? :D
than better play alone :D you will at least have fun :D

Wow you're smart.
iII_ODIN_IIi
2013-06-16 13:53
Wow you're smart.

Really, you should try.
Hodor_Cometh
Enlisted: 2011-11-09
2013-06-16 13:59
Zorlox420 said:
personally. i think if you're off the ground the thing should just blow up if you switch seats. that or lock seats when in the air.

on the way the choppers fly. I don't know if i'm the only one but I very much preferred them in bf2 so much so that i went from going all out choppers in bf2 to not even playing them in bf3.it just feels so restricting, for lack of a better word. I think this is more of a console/port issue though, but that's just speculation on my part, I can't even imagine how one could pull the stunts we used to in bf2 with a paddle. let alone fly the thing

btw, major nostalgia about not having some tunnels like in kubra dam to fly through, with choppers and jets. those are the kinds of 'f yeah' moments that stick with ya. then again, with the lack of fine control I doubt you could even manage it with these air vehicles.

+1 for disabling in the air seatswitching.
mrmxer
2013-06-16 14:22
O_iO-uIIu-Oi_O said:
Wow you're smart.
Really, you should try.

I mean seriously... Do you even fly choppers? They aren't overpowered at all.
iII_ODIN_IIi
2013-06-16 15:19

I just don't like the idea of flying into the buildings, touching every wall without consequences.
It's not about BF3... this thread is not about BF3...DICE nerfed helis XxXXX times here... in BF4 they could improve something. Whatever....
UN3RW4RT3T
IQ Enlisted: 2012-07-04
2013-06-16 15:22
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=htj_DVZv9fg&feature [youtube.com]
Hodor_Cometh
Enlisted: 2011-11-09
2013-06-16 16:20 , edited 2013-06-16 16:21 by Hodor_Cometh
mrmx3r said:
O_iO-uIIu-Oi_O said:
Wow you're smart.
Really, you should try.

Maybe for consoles, or probably you are a bad pilot as well that thinks he's good, but theyre OP as hell on PC.
mrmxer
2013-06-16 16:28
Fiesta_Solara said:
mrmx3r said:
O_iO-uIIu-Oi_O said:
Wow you're smart.
Really, you should try.
Maybe for consoles, or probably you are a bad pilot as well that thinks he's good, but theyre OP as hell on PC.

They're not OP. You can kill choppers with: another chopper, jets, AA, stigla, soflam/javelin, tank shell, .50 cal. Its a case of bad players not being able to adapt and play. The choppers may camp in the air but its the only way to survive for more than 2 minutes because once you go agressive theres 10 iglas shooting at you.
MackTKau
AU Enlisted: 2011-10-27
2013-06-16 18:54 , edited 2013-06-16 19:00 by MackTKau
Lol, it's all the ground pounders fault they haven't been able to 'adapt' to orbit campers.

How exactly would you suggest people on the ground 'adapt' to a helo camping off the map?

Choppers shouldn't be able to camp in orbit with full ability to spam their weapons and rack up huge killstreaks without risk from the ground.

The air jockey superiority complex is such bullshit, they want to be able to go 100-0 without risk.

The helo players want to camp outside the map, against nerfed 400 meter range stingers and nerfed mobile AA, and the jet players want to fly in orbit and spam rocket pods using OP 3d spotting all the while claiming that mobile AA is too powerful at long ranges and should be nerfed into the ground even more.

I used to be a helo gunner in 16v16 clan matches in BF2 (my highest score in a Bf2 round was destroying a team in the Havok on Sharqi) and there was never this bullshit idea that we had to camp outside the map to contribute. I played Desert Combat and that was far more balanced than BF3 was. For all you noobs who whine about lock-on stingers, I'll be happy to accept the Desert Combat dumbfire stingers and an SA-3/Patriot Launcher back at base. You'd all be crying in no time when your precious no skill counter-measures (apparently no skill counter-measures are fine while no skill lock-on weapons should be nerfed into oblivion) don't work against the fast straight flying stinger, and I can manually aim a Patriot missile into the cockpit from 1250 meters away.

Sure, stand off attacks with rockets and TVGM's are an acceptable tactic in BF2, but it wasn't very effective. And you actually had to stay on the accessible battlefield. In BF3 the maps are so small it's impossible to 'adapt' to a camping chopper because there's just no room for ambushing or cover. Taking the mobile anti-air on Oilfields was great fun because the chopper players would be focused on the main flags, you'd come in from the side and destroy them from behind a building.

In BF3:
* The cannons have more range.
* The rockets can be fired from orbit, and will move in flight to make up for shitty aim or firing over long distances.
* The TVGM has longer range.
* 3D spotting.

So please, spare me the BS about how tough and hard it is on chopper pilots, and how camping outside the range of anyone on the ground is the 'only method' of getting kills, because of the oh so OP stinger missiles.

The highest combined number of kills with the Stinger and Iglas in BF2 is some Ukranian guy and he only has 4,380 in 2500 hours of play-time, with a 10% accuracy. That's one kill every 34 minutes he's played the game. OMG SO OP NERF IT NAO.

To compare, the most combined Havok + Viper is 192,129, in 1268 chopper hours, one kill every 23 seconds.

Yeah, the stingers and mobile AA are SOOOO OP. The Helo guys can't even get a damn kill!
Nerf Jets and the Jet Scrubs who fly them.
Rifee
NO Enlisted: 2011-12-27
2013-06-16 18:56
If you care that much about personal score you're allready playing the wrong game amigo:)
gunslinqer
Enlisted: 2011-11-12
2013-06-16 19:07
El_Monster029 said:
I love the fact that the helicopter is a mainstay in the battlefield games, because there really aren't very many other games that let you control these things in such a satisfying way.

But I gotta say the heli as is in bf3 is so much less than what it could be. I hope bf4 will address at least a few issues....And the gameplay footage I've seen so far hasn't answered my questions

1. The first thing that needs to be fixed is the maneuverability of these things....and that ties into the physics engine too

Watch this video from the 1:45 mark to 2:05:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=JxsV6pDhdTQ [youtube.com]

Yes, I realize that's an Apache, but I know for a fact that the Havoc is just as maneuverable as the Apache and I would be stunned to find out the Viper can't do the same stuff.

I want to be able to do barrel rolls and back flips! It would make dealing with jets soooooooo much easier. Also heli v heli battle's would be that much more intense :)

And as for the physics: the heli shouldn't just FLOAT down like a piece of paper when you switch to the gunner seat! If Dice fixes the physics around the helicopters to make them drop like a rock when the engine cuts out (AS IT SHOULD!!!!) then that would get rid of all the seat switchers out there. Hopefully that would mean more pilots that know what they are doing instead of tons of "pro" gunners who seat switch all day.

2 Give us below radar back! I agree that gunner flares were ridiculous from the start, I was one of the people who said it needed to go! But below radar vs stingers? No, that is not cool. It's precisely because of that reason that you have seen some crews hover camping a million meters from anything that can touch them!

Below radar will cause more aggressive behavior from pilots of that I will guarantee you and thus how do you take them out? You have to grab some skill and hop in a tank/AA. Or whip out the ole rpg and AIM!

3 TV missile needs to have its glitches fixed. I'm happy to say that the TV teamkill glitch is indeed fixed (only one year later...) But many glitches remain. Mainly in regards to hit detection. I can't tell you how many jets/heli's/tanks I've hit with tv to have nothing happen not even hit markers.

Also sometimes when the gunner shoots the TV missile the heli freaks out like its hitting something mid air and can often cause the pilot to crash if they are close to the ground....its really annoying >.<

I'm just hoping hit detection issues won't be an ongoing problem in bf4....

/rant

Just like when you see the tree branches kick and sway above a tanks gun firing, that percussion from the tv missile launch affects your chopper depending on altitude and surrounding (that percussion affect bouncing off ground, trees, buildings, etc., so don't think it's a glitch- I actually admire dice for 'all the little things', even if they have a negative effect. Yep, heli's should 'drop like a rock', and so should non-vertical thrust fighters when they get down to 30mph! I hope they fix fighters! I understand that in this 'alpha', the physics of the helicopter have been improved, incorporating 'momentum', also.. meaning, you can't dive to the ground then hit the gas and stop on a dime. I'm sure Dice is doing more than we think.
morpheuszg
DE Enlisted: 2011-10-27
2013-06-16 19:08
El_Monster029 said:
And as for the physics: the heli shouldn't just FLOAT down like a piece of paper when you switch to the gunner seat! If Dice fixes the physics around the helicopters to make them drop like a rock when the engine cuts out (AS IT SHOULD!!!!) then that would get rid of all the seat switchers out there. Hopefully that would mean more pilots that know what they are doing instead of tons of "pro" gunners who seat switch all day.

Well, this isn't fully true. Modern helicopters have an emergency system which will engage in exact this situation. If the engine cuts out, the rotor blades change their pitch, so that the heli will not drop like a rock directly. It won't last forever though. What DICE could do, is to reduce the floating factor a bit.
1PracticeGuhn-fu
AU Enlisted: 2011-10-26
2013-06-16 19:21 , edited 2013-06-16 19:23 by 1PracticeGuhn-fu
morpheuszg said:
El_Monster029 said:
Well, this isn't fully true. Modern helicopters have an emergency system which will engage in exact this situation. If the engine cuts out, the rotor blades change their pitch, so that the heli will not drop like a rock directly. It won't last forever though. What DICE could do, is to reduce the floating factor a bit.

Your half right there mate,

It's known as Auto-rotation.

Until the main rotor blades spin down the falling rate will be limited by there lift, also the rotor blades will never stop due to your mentioned point of rotor pitch and the descending wind force.
As long as you crash it skids down you'll have a good chance of survival.

IMO Dice should increase the drop rate depending on altitude, up to a terminal velocity.

Plus 1 on you cannot change seats mid-flight.
Kick it off like Sparta. Woke up in Nigeria Kicked out America Case of malaria Shit got scarier Got left with a gun and a pitbull terrier And a note from my dad said I hope God carry ya Fought one or two wars while I made It to the shores Y’know back to the home of a rock in Georgia To return as a king, Michael the benevolent Gold draped ridin' on the neck of an elephant