Thread is locked.

READ: HD Textures When Installing the Game

MADRESPEXX
CA Enlisted: 2011-10-25
2011-12-20 22:12
Hey, so I have been running some tests past 2 days on 2 different usb sticks and the hard drive and disc installations. Funny thing is, regarding the b2k installation, when I deleted the hd texture pack and the multiplayer disc and kept the b2k on the hard drive the hd textures that are included with b2k loaded really fast. Then I tested the same set up but with b2k installed on a fast flash drive and the b2k hd textures were loaded instantly. As soon as I put the hd textures back on my hard drive doing the clear cache and install method the b2k textures were loading slow again, then with the multiplayer disc installed on the flash drive as well as b2k it was even slower.

So many set ups, but seems that the hd texture pack itself is the limiting factor which slows down pop-in with b2k. Though, this is just my xbox which is a new 250gb slim model. I gotta admit, with the disc not installed and b2k on a flash drive, with no hd texture pack the included hd textures load so fast that after the first load you pretty much wont ever see texture loading again.

Also, I noticed when you die it resets everything and you have to run by stuff and they load again, but as I said its faster with the hd deleted setup. Why would we anyone want to do that anyways? It seems to me that loading the hd textures from the hdd and then loading b2k textures slows down the time as the xbox has to search through for the regular hd textures and also load up the b2k textures from the b2k file. I suggest someone else just try the same thing and see the difference in the included b2k hd textures load time.

I decided to load mp disc on one flash drive, with b2k on another flash drive and hd textures on hdd, seemed just as slow, I will try again later perhaps.

Just to let you guys know. I am using a sandisk 16gb high speed,which has 16mb/s read speed, as well as a patriot xpress which has 50mb/s read speed and 25mb/s write speed. If anyone has any tips for me for the best installation method let me know.
Disciplined187
Enlisted: 2011-10-25
2011-12-21 18:29
I have been wondering if since B2K I will have do the process over again. Right now I am playing off the Disc. Installed in the order the thread spoke about. Running a Slim 250 gb 3 months old. I am gonna try the flashdrive thing though. See how that looks and feels. As of B2K, I swear the pop-in issue is back and might do it all over again but try the flashdrive route spoke of by doctor3d.
Pfisher9
US Enlisted: 2011-10-25
2011-12-21 22:04
So has this been fixed? Can I install my game again or what?
P40L0
IT Enlisted: 2011-10-26
2011-12-29 09:44
I'm trying to wipe all the contents from HDD and USB, clear the cache, reboot and start a new method:

1) Install patches, textures and DLC regurarly to HDD on first start
2) Moving only the Textures from HDD to USB (it's possible), and leaving the rest on HDD
3) Install the DVDs to HDD
4) Reboot the Xbox, and trying to play.

I'll let you know if there will be some improvements or not...
doctor3d
2011-12-29 09:48
P40L0 said:
I'm trying to wipe all the contents from HDD and USB, clear the cache, reboot and start a new method:

2) Moving only the Textures from HDD to USB (it's possible), and leaving the rest on HDD

#2 - You can move the HD textures to USB - but the game doesn't recognize it when you load it. It will just ask you to install them. If you decline, they don't load. They intentionally made it to where it can't go on the USB stick. I have no idea why. Seems all the people with 4GB slims would have loved to be able to move them to USB. I'm sure thousands of people have tried thinking it would work, and failed. :(
Ailfawka
AU Enlisted: 2011-10-27
2011-12-29 09:54 , edited 2011-12-29 09:56 by Ailfawka
Leave a reply...
P40L0 said:

I'm not saying this will work or not but if you can spread the load over multiple mediums , HDD/Optical drive/USBD ( what ever combination as long as the work is spread over multiple drives so as to not burden one drive with all the read/write activity. If the HDD was faster/more capable....clearly we would not be having such problems. But its old hardware so the HDD is the least of our problems and it is easily fixed. I have also noticed that if you run everything from one HDD, you will not get allot of the sounds that should be sounding.....but when its spread over multiple drives you get everything!

edit: in the end just be thankful you don't have a ps3. there hardware combo really causes problems with high end ports.
P40L0
IT Enlisted: 2011-10-26
2011-12-29 09:54 , edited 2011-12-29 19:17 by P40L0
doctor3d said:
P40L0 said:

#2 - You can move the HD textures to USB - but the game doesn't recognize it when you load it. It will just ask you to install them. If you decline, they don't load. They intentionally made it to where it can't go on the USB stick. I have no idea why. Seems all the people with 4GB slims would have loved to be able to move them to USB. I'm sure thousands of people have tried thinking it would work, and failed. :(
Got it.
It's really a shame :°[
Ok, so I'm trying to install everything on HDD, and after that ONLY the DVD to USB, leaving the rest (patches and DLCs included) to HDD.
I'll let you know.. :)

Edit: tried. It's a lot better with ONLY the multiplayer disc installed on USB, and all the rest kept into the HDD. I will keep it like this... ;)
Mister_Veselka
2012-01-06 07:30
Just to be super clear, is it cool if I delete the B2K update and then re-download it? It won't mess up any stats, unlocks, or anything like that?
doctor3d
2012-01-06 15:26 , edited 2012-01-06 15:27 by doctor3d
VeselkaFist said:
Just to be super clear, is it cool if I delete the B2K update and then re-download it? It won't mess up any stats, unlocks, or anything like that?

Yeah, it's safe to do that, however, I don't think it's necessary. You can simply use the "Move" option on the Xbox drive menu to move it where you want.

Edit: tried. It's a lot better with ONLY the multiplayer disc installed on USB, and all the rest kept into the HDD. I will keep it like this... ;)

Yep, that's a good way to run it in your scenario. Basically, you simply use the USB drive AS an optical Disc. Since the read speed of a USB drive is consistently faster than the variable speed of the DVD drive, the texture pop-in is consistently less. BUT, the B2K content will slow down the HD texture draw rate since it's on the same drive.

Not installing the disc at all, and moving the B2K, 167mb patch and other content to a USB while leaving the HD textures on the HDD would be the MOST optimal though. But, at least, this way you're getting the better of both. (No disc noise and possibly reduced disc drive wear, as well as 'good' texture draw rates)

In your particular scenario, when I tried it that way, I found the loading times to be the absolute fastest, I was always in the match before everyone else.
Avorvahaal
US Enlisted: 2011-10-30
2012-01-06 15:35
I still wont uninstall my multiplayer disc i hate having to run my disc drive
electricturd
Enlisted: 2011-10-25
2012-01-06 17:47
So dr3d. I have a 16 gb USB drive. What would be the best way to run this game for best textures and performance? I currently have the multi installed on the USB but everything else on hdd. Is this recommended or another way? I have the 250 slim bit there is case vibration on this thing that's very loud when the DVD is spinning so keep that in mind. Thanks for the help
Mister_Veselka
2012-01-06 20:51
Just want to confirm the best results I have had so far:

1. Disk 1 is NOT installed anywhere (neither is disk 2).
2. ONLY HD texture pack installed to Xbox 360 HDD (60gb, 2009 model I think).
3. All other BF3 content (save files, title updates, B2K update, marketplace content) installed to USB flash drive (Transcend 16gb, 32mb/s read, 16mb/s write).

I don't think the order is important. As doctor3d suggested, I just transferred content around. (Thanks!)

B2K textures now load quickly. Textures on regular maps load almost instantaneously. Character textures in killcams load instantaneously on both. Only downside is loud Xbox!
J8K8
FI Enlisted: 2011-11-16
2012-08-26 00:05
Has this been patched already?
PooHew
GB Enlisted: 2011-11-02
2012-12-17 21:39
What about all the downloadable content now? I have noticed an improvement in my textures after trying this, maybe because I'm specifically looking at things now? Who knows. But what to move to the USB? Cheers.
KingdomSlayah
US Enlisted: 2012-01-16
2012-12-18 00:42
Lol Xbox with its 2 disks...
T-Rex shall rise from the ashes... AND BRING A NEW ERA OF GAMING!!
PooHew
GB Enlisted: 2011-11-02
2012-12-18 08:00
LOL LOL LOL - Only one multiplayer disc, so not a problem.
Papai_Maromba
BR Enlisted: 2013-07-19
2013-08-31 01:22
Bumping this thread... Has there been any conclusion about this?
KevinTheButler
US Enlisted: 2013-03-29
2013-08-31 01:23
thesaladamaster said:
Bumping this thread... Has there been any conclusion about this?

Necroing*
ScottiTippin
2013-11-17 02:55
my hd texture pack isnt working, i downloaded the hd pack, and my game still lokks awful. the hd pack isnt corrupt, and im just fed up with the whole thing

Thread is locked.
Thread is locked.