Users on 32-bit operating systems have reported problems with installing the Battlelog web plugin and using Google Chrome. We're working to have this issue resolved before the end of the week. Affected users are encouraged to temporarily use another web browser.

DICE ban players over "Color Correction" mod

Switch-kun
CA Enlisted: 2011-10-28
2012-10-03 20:46
I recently read an article on PCgamer about a new "mod/hack" which allows players to change the color settings for Battlefield 3. Personally, I think it's a great tool. It makes the game feel like Battlefield 2 all over again. It gives players a "fresh new look".

Here is the PCgamer Article: http://www.pcgamer.com/2012/10/03/dice-hints-bans-color-correcting-battlefield-3-mo/ [pcgamer.com]

However, DICE developer, Gustav Halling, thinks "it's too colourful" and that anyone using the "mod/hack" will be PERMANENTLY banned from all BF3 multilayer servers. I think that's too much. This is unacceptable.

What happened to the glory days of Battlefield 2, when modding was acknowledged?

Is there any justice in this? This is indeed a "hack", but it's harmless and only "corrects" the colour in-game. If that's not allowed, then maybe changing brightness levels shouldn't be allowed either. Perhaps mods that makes the game more realistic by hiding the entire hud should also be banned.

DICE is really agitating me. Why can't they be more like Valve? I'm sure revenues would grow if they were to allow modding. Just look at ARMA2! Their sales went up a lot after the release of "DayZ", a mod for the game!

DICE, please allow modding or at least allow these "harmless hacks". Otherwise, implement them in the game FOR FREE and NOT FOR A FEE.

Thank you.
Starbusta
GB Enlisted: 2011-10-27
2012-10-03 20:57
Switch-kun said:
I recently read an article on PCgamer about a new "mod/hack" which allows players to change the color settings for Battlefield 3. Personally, I think it's a great tool. It makes the game feel like Battlefield 2 all over again. It gives players a "fresh new look".

Here is the PCgamer Article: http://www.pcgamer.com/2012/10/03/dice-hints-bans-color-correcting-battlefield-3-mo/ [pcgamer.com]

However, DICE developer, Gustav Halling, thinks "it's too colourful" and that anyone using the "mod/hack" will be PERMANENTLY banned from all BF3 multilayer servers. I think that's too much. This is unacceptable.

What happened to the glory days of Battlefield 2, when modding was acknowledged?

Is there any justice in this? This is indeed a "hack", but it's harmless and only "corrects" the colour in-game. If that's not allowed, then maybe changing brightness levels shouldn't be allowed either. Perhaps mods that makes the game more realistic by hiding the entire hud should also be banned.

DICE is really agitating me. Why can't they be more like Valve? I'm sure revenues would grow if they were to allow modding. Just look at ARMA2! Their sales went up a lot after the release of "DayZ", a mod for the game!

DICE, please allow modding or at least allow these "harmless hacks". Otherwise, implement them in the game FOR FREE and NOT FOR A FEE.

Thank you.



the tweak file also allowed you to change weapons and damage ... it was a hack get over it
Google is your friend
iJeba
FI Enlisted: 2012-09-22
2012-10-03 20:58
Is this the same modded game file? It's not allowed because you can change almost any value in the game with it, including weapon damage and recoil.
One day all grandparents will be listening to gangsta rap
devin0815
US Enlisted: 2011-12-19
2012-10-03 21:06
DICE wants the blue to be in the game
Does the person below want free cookies?
Switch-kun
CA Enlisted: 2011-10-28
2012-10-03 21:13 , edited 2012-10-03 21:15 by Switch-kun
atG_Starbusta said:
the tweak file also allowed you to change weapons and damage ... it was a hack get over it


Click the links in the PCgamer article before you go spread misinformation. It DOES NOT change weapon damage or recoil. You are probably referring to a different site or tool.

iJeba said:
Is this the same modded game file? It's not allowed because you can change almost any value in the game with it, including weapon damage and recoil.


It's not. Try clicking on the links within the PCgamer article and see for yourself.
mizehh
FI Enlisted: 2011-10-27
2012-10-03 21:32
This post has been removed by the Battlelog administrators.
Switch-kun
CA Enlisted: 2011-10-28
2012-10-03 21:35
This post has been removed by the Battlelog administrators.
mizehh
FI Enlisted: 2011-10-27
2012-10-03 21:38
I know it is. But if you ban for using some program you ban using any program. Still hope they ban everyone touching game files. Doesn't that read in EULA or what ever you accept when you install game?
Switch-kun
CA Enlisted: 2011-10-28
2012-10-03 21:45 , edited 2012-10-03 21:48 by Switch-kun
mizehh-iG said:
I know it is. But if you ban for using some program you ban using any program. Still hope they ban everyone touching game files. Doesn't that read in EULA or what ever you accept when you install game?

I honestly believe harmless tools like that should be allowed. I really wish DICE went back to to the days of BF2...

All these restrictions towards simple, harmless hacks is really over the top. They did the same thing when they banned players for entering private servers where you could join a 100vs100 match (something like that).
Lucidiculous
Enlisted: 2012-06-10
2012-10-03 22:03
Oh yeah? I think anyone with a wired laser mouse should be banned, cuz it's teh chete!
Rikevfox
GB Enlisted: 2011-11-11
2012-10-03 22:16
Just use your graphics card's control panel to alter the colour settings, they can't ban you for that. I raised Digital Vibrance and it made everything look better and washed some of the blue out.

But apparently just thinking about tweaks gets you banned from the entire EA service. /golfclap
Activation date: 11/11/11 =D http://i.imgur.com/wGwnt5U.png
James060394
GB Enlisted: 2011-10-28
2012-10-03 23:49
atG_Starbusta said:
Switch-kun said:
I recently read an article on PCgamer about a new "mod/hack" which allows players to change the color settings for Battlefield 3. Personally, I think it's a great tool. It makes the game feel like Battlefield 2 all over again. It gives players a "fresh new look".

Here is the PCgamer Article: http://www.pcgamer.com/2012/10/03/dice-hints-bans-color-correcting-battlefield-3-mo/ [pcgamer.com]

However, DICE developer, Gustav Halling, thinks "it's too colourful" and that anyone using the "mod/hack" will be PERMANENTLY banned from all BF3 multilayer servers. I think that's too much. This is unacceptable.

What happened to the glory days of Battlefield 2, when modding was acknowledged?

Is there any justice in this? This is indeed a "hack", but it's harmless and only "corrects" the colour in-game. If that's not allowed, then maybe changing brightness levels shouldn't be allowed either. Perhaps mods that makes the game more realistic by hiding the entire hud should also be banned.

DICE is really agitating me. Why can't they be more like Valve? I'm sure revenues would grow if they were to allow modding. Just look at ARMA2! Their sales went up a lot after the release of "DayZ", a mod for the game!

DICE, please allow modding or at least allow these "harmless hacks". Otherwise, implement them in the game FOR FREE and NOT FOR A FEE.

Thank you.
the tweak file also allowed you to change weapons and damage ... it was a hack get over it

The guy released a Colour Correction pack initially (which personally i think is fine) that had no access to that sort of files. He then later released the controversial file tweaker (which can allow users to tweak everything) and that i believe is wrong.
Switch-kun
CA Enlisted: 2011-10-28
2012-10-04 00:00
James060394 said:
The guy released a Colour Correction pack initially (which personally i think is fine) that had no access to that sort of files. He then later released the controversial file tweaker (which can allow users to tweak everything) and that i believe is wrong.


He did? It's no where to be seen on his official site. Are you sure it's the same person?
Deli_Nayar
US Enlisted: 2011-12-05
2012-10-04 06:05 , edited 2012-10-04 06:08 by Deli_Nayar
Dice isn't the problem here folks;
Let's focus on the real problems:

1)EA:
Dice, Crytek, Bioware and Maxis have all been making rather low-quality games with tons of DLC and no mod support since EA has gotten their fat greasy hands on them. These fat-cat publisher companies are all run by greedy CEOs and admins who have likely never touched a video game in their life and fail to understand that people do not NEED their product. They fail to see that the field that are trying to make a profit in is entirely based off customer satisfaction. A lot of games die when they get tons of expensive DLC adding ~*~n3w MLG pr0 skins~*~ and have little to no mod support for the community to do as they like with their purchase. This has been shown not only today with the ban warnings, but even before BF3 was released, such as the lack of offline bots, LAN capabilities etc. I've read comment after comment about people just losing faith in this long loved series.

2)Consoles:
Console ports have been the bane of PC games in the recent years. If i remember correctly Dice said they wanted to give more attention to the Pc version of BF3 to keep the loyal fans who buy their games happy. I don't know about any of you, but have you seen that? When googling "Battlefield 3 mods" and scrolling past the aimhack ads I came across a news thing that said from a dev along the lines of "We want to make sure that consoles and PC's both have the opportunity of mod blah blah". It legitimately confused me until I realized problem #1.
I_wesley125
CA Enlisted: 2011-10-25
2012-10-04 06:21
This already great game could be a lot better if EA were not such fascists.
battleshy
CA Enlisted: 2012-03-16
2012-10-04 06:55
Scumbag EA. They should be more like VALVe when it comes to modding.
"some men aren't looking for anything logical, like SPM or K/D. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned or negotiated with. Some men just want to play casual."
DieHard2Live
US Enlisted: 2011-11-08
2012-10-04 07:33
battleshy said:
Scumbag EA. They should be more like VALVe when it comes to modding.


TEAM FORTRESS 2 IS MOD HEAVEN!! VALVE FTW!!
http://g.bf3stats.com/pc/iMasHaruka/diehard2live.png http://g.bf3stats.com/ps3/q50VIgdP/joseph45638.png
kapitowkafm
GB Enlisted: 2011-11-02
2012-10-04 07:39
A shame, really, because the game looks better without the grayscale, or the blue thrown at everything. All that work thrown into making the maps look nice and then someone goes "Ya know what? Fuck it, let's go monochrome"
MaybeMarticus
Enlisted: 2012-08-10
2012-10-04 07:44
so the fuck what? they hacked the game. that's all there is to it.

you hack you get banned. it's stupid to go to all the effort over something so trivial..

and it's even more stupid to be butthurt about it
halninekay
DE Enlisted: 2011-10-27
2012-10-04 07:59
Altering or modding the core game files is not allowed and a ToS violation.
Passionate Purgatorial Janitor since BF-1942 | DICE Friend | Battlelog Moderator | Maintaining the Battlefield's purity!