Thread is locked.

Battlefield 4 Commander for tablets

Ohplz
SE Enlisted: 2013-03-03
2013-11-15 11:00 , edited 2013-11-21 08:25 by Ohplz
Hi All!

We wanted to let you know that we just released the Commander Mode app on tablets!

If you’ve been enjoying Commander Mode on your PC and console, you know how exciting it can be to deploy war assets and issuing commands to your Battlefield 4 team mates. Now, the power of command extends to tablets. Thanks to a slick interface and intuitive touch controls, the app will give you the full Commander experience on the go. Don’t forget to check out LevelCap Gaming’s review [youtu.be] and post your favorite place to command at Twitter #BF4neverstopcommanding [twitter.com].

As we are introducing this app to the world we thought we would take the opportunity to have some dev presence from the mobile team. We will try to answer all your tablet commander related questions (and even some general commander questions) as well as we can.

Introduction of devs:

Erik aka TheHelgon
Lead Designer on the DICE mobile team. Usually sitting on a hill far away pointing a sniper rifle in your general direction. Wishes he was as good at flying as Dan.

Dan aka Ohplz
Development Director on the DICE mobile team. Fond of flying any kind of chopper, even though he isn’t particularly good at it.

You can find answers to a few questions below, but don’t hesitate to ask us your own. We’ll do our best to answer them. Thanks for playing!

Q: On which tablets can I play Commander?
A: For iOS, Commander works on iPad 2 and up, as well as iPad Mini, on tablets running iOS 6.1 and up. For Android, we have set the following minimum specs:
Screen sizes 7” and up
1ghz dual core
1024mb ram
1024x600 resolution
Android 4.0.3 or newer
Access to the Google Play store

Q: Where can I find the Commander app?
A: iOS: https://itunes.apple.com/app/id736832929?ls=1&mt=8 [itunes.apple.com]
Android: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.ea.game.warsawcommander_row [play.google.com]

Q: I play Battlefield 4 on Xbox 360 or Playstation 3. Can I still play Commander on tablet?
A: Absolutely! The Commander app works with any platform you can run Battlefield 4 on.

Q: How do I select a specific server to join?
A: You can select specific servers to join through the Battlelog app. Simply go into Multiplayer, select a server, and join using the “Commander” button. This will automatically launch the Commander app and join the server.

Q: How can I use VOIP to talk to the members on my team?
A: Select the squad you want to talk to, then press and hold the VOIP button on the bottom right to talk to the squad. We recommend using a headset for the best VOIP experience. VOIP is currently supported on PC and Playstation 4, and Xbox One support will be added very soon in an update.

Q: As a PC player, can I see team chat?
A: Yes! You will be able to see all chat, team chat and the selected squad’s chat.

Q: Does the app work over both 3G and WiFi?
A: Yes.

Q: Can I play as a commander on my tablet while playing as a soldier on my console/PC?
A: We want players to be fully committed when playing, you will only be able to be logged in on either the tablet or system of choice.

Q: I own BF4 on two or more systems, how do I choose which one to connect to on my tablet?
A: When you first login, you will be prompted to choose one of your active soldiers. After that, you can easily switch between them in the settings menu.

// Dan and Erik
Mobile Development Director @ DICE
philbaines
GB Enlisted: 2013-10-24
2013-11-15 11:07
Will this work on a mac?
olib123
CN Enlisted: 2011-12-12
2013-11-15 11:08
Woohoo exciting, I'll be downloading this when I get home. Just hope I can connect as 95% of my server connection attempts fail on my PC
TheHelgon
SE Enlisted: 2013-03-05
2013-11-15 11:08
Hi all!

For all you Android users, we want you to know we love you all just as much as the iOS users! The app will be out before you can say #BF4neverstopcommanding, so sit tight!
Designer @ DICE
twixttheeyes
US Enlisted: 2011-10-26
2013-11-15 11:17
As asked above, what about on my mac?
JamiCH94
FI Enlisted: 2011-10-28
2013-11-15 11:19
I would be more commited to commanding if I were playing at the same time :I
Doesnt change a thing really, Im sometimes watching youtube videos from my tablet at the same time as I play.

If I were to buy BF4 for PS4, could I command as my PS4 soldier in the same game at the same time as Im playing on the PC ?
TheHelgon
2013-11-15 11:19
philbaines said:
Will this work on a mac?

The Commander app will currently only be made available on iOS and Android tablets.
Designer @ DICE
Driezzy
BE Enlisted: 2011-10-26
2013-11-15 11:21
Hey, this year I graduated and learned a lot about mobile development. I was wondering if you mobile dev's could give me your twitter or any contact info if I have any questions.

But also, what technology do you use (Frostbite GO) ? How does it work and in what language is it written? Frameworks, ...

Thanks in advance!
Mobile & Web Developer | Mobile Dev at @Happy_Metrix | Event Manager | @UKF & @Battlefield Promoter | Alumni #NMCT
twixttheeyes
US Enlisted: 2011-10-26
2013-11-15 11:22
Bummer
TheHelgon
2013-11-15 11:28
Driezzy said:
Hey, this year I graduated and learned a lot about mobile development. I was wondering if you mobile dev's could give me your twitter or any contact info if I have any questions.

But also, what technology do you use (Frostbite GO) ? How does it work and in what language is it written? Frameworks, ...

Thanks in advance!

I lurk around twitter under the tag @freeortman

The game does indeed run on the Frostbite engine, the very first mobile game to be released on it and something we are extremely excited to work more with in the future.. I can't go into too much detail about the engine, but you can find lots if interesting information about Frostbite in general here: http://www.frostbite.com/ [frostbite.com]
Designer @ DICE
ACE_8D
HR Enlisted: 2012-09-15
2013-11-15 11:30
how about a new patch?
krakatau86
SE Enlisted: 2011-12-07
2013-11-15 11:34
Why apple first?
skiwi2
NL Enlisted: 2011-10-27
2013-11-15 11:36
So I'll put up my Android Battlelog experience (not directly related to the Commander app though) in here, in hopes of response:
- On both Asus Transformer TF101 tablet and Samsung Galaxy S3 phone the Battlelog app barely reacts to scrolling, and if so with a very long delay.
- On the tablet the battlescreen does not work, it says it cannot find any games, while I am sure I am playing the game and on the same WiFi network, etc, etc. The BattleScreen does work on my own PC, but I only got one screen so not much of a use there :P

Are these issues on the Battlelog app known? And if so, when will they be fixed?
TheHelgon
2013-11-15 11:41
skiwi2 said:
So I'll put up my Android Battlelog experience (not directly related to the Commander app though) in here, in hopes of response:
- On both Asus Transformer TF101 tablet and Samsung Galaxy S3 phone the Battlelog app barely reacts to scrolling, and if so with a very long delay.
- On the tablet the battlescreen does not work, it says it cannot find any games, while I am sure I am playing the game and on the same WiFi network, etc, etc. The BattleScreen does work on my own PC, but I only got one screen so not much of a use there :P

Are these issues on the Battlelog app known? And if so, when will they be fixed?

Lets keep this thread on the topic of the Commander app. I recommend you to post in the Technical Help section of the Battlelog forum. Even if you do not get a reply I assure you it is being read and looked at.
Designer @ DICE
JamiCH94
FI Enlisted: 2011-10-28
2013-11-15 11:42
FuT-TankAce said:
how about a new patch?

By DICE's mobile team who solely works on the mobile partion of the game ? I dont think so.
Vercetti_OG
NL Enlisted: 2011-10-24
2013-11-15 11:43
nice!
This signature is only visible to Battlelog Premium™ Account holders.
philbaines
GB Enlisted: 2013-10-24
2013-11-15 11:47
So wil we get the option to get commander on mac?
nutzdamoose
Enlisted: 2011-10-26
2013-11-15 11:52
concentrate fixing the game before you can say #BF4neverstopcrashing !
"All warfare is based on deception " Sunny Tzu Tzu Magoo
NARCOSSIS5
US Enlisted: 2011-10-27
2013-11-15 12:07
Can I play commander for xbox 360 through battlelog via laptop if I do not have a tablet?
Rawi666
PL Enlisted: 2011-10-27
2013-11-15 12:09
Is the frostbite for android made in java/dalvik or C/C++ ?

Thread is locked.
Thread is locked.