Thread is locked.

The Winter Update - Discussion Thread

T0TALfps
GB Enlisted: 2011-10-24
2015-03-03 19:01 , edited 2015-03-03 19:02 by T0TALfps
DICE is committed to constantly improving Battlefield 4 to make your multiplayer experience as entertaining, intuitive, and reliable as possible. Based on great feedback from the community, the Winter Update is now here – filled with various improvements to Battlefield 4. Let’s dive right into the tweaks we’ve made.

Get the Complete Patch Notes (PDF) [static.cdn.ea.com]

Netcode Improvements

Major improvements have been made to the Battlefield 4 network layer. Making the “Netcode” better allows for a more exact multiplayer experience for all participants, and this has been done in various ways. For instance, we’ve done long range network updates by adding a cone to the High Frequency Update (30hz), illustrated in the image below.

View image [eaassets-a.akamaihd.net]

Other Netcode improvements we’ve done:

- Network prioritization and filtering has been improved. This now prioritizes health/damage, enemy players and vehicles above all.
- Vehicles now use a larger (front) hemi-sphere shape for collision improvements
- Aiming down sights, or zooming in sitting in a vehicle or on foot, utilizes an even longer range cone for better target acquisition at a distance

Required bandwidth close to cut in half: Players with less stellar network connections should get a significant improvement, now able to use the High Frequency Update.

Squad Obliteration game mode

We’re adding a new competitive game mode called Squad Obliteration with the Winter Patch. In this mode the fast paced, objective based gameplay of the original Obliteration is scaled down to 5 vs 5 size – balanced and perfected for competitive play. Here are the major differences from the original Obliteration mode:

Squad Obliteration/Obliteration differences

- No vehicles, no parachute spawns
- Secondary base spawns are made available
- First team to destroy two out of three bases wins the round
- Bomb carrier position is only known to the enemy team if spotted

Quickmatch Changes

We want it to be a smooth and intelligent affair to jump straight into a Battlefield 4 match using Quickmatch. That’s why we’ve added new presets and servers to enable you to play it your way.

Here’s what we’ve added to Quickmatch.

- New player gating: New players can now matchmake into special servers until reaching rank 10, giving them a chance to learn playing Battlefield 4 against other new players.
- Ranked Preset support: Players now have the added option to Quickmatch into Ranked servers as an addition to the Official preset available in the past.
- Premium Playlists: Three new playlists are added catering to various play styles and including maps from all expansions and base game combined.

We believe these updates and changes will make Battlefield 4 even more enjoyable in multiplayer, and we’d like to thank you once again for suggesting these tweaks to us.
Keep the feedback coming, whether it’s for these updates or anything else, and thanks for reading.

For information regarding the contents of the patch please check out this thread [battlelog.battlefield.com]

This thread is now open for discussions on regarding the Winter Patch Update.
*Some of my posts may not represent the opinions of EA or DICE. ^TFPS.
BliTxXen-UY
UY Enlisted: 2013-10-30
2015-03-03 19:03
I am not a Battlefield Veteran, but I saw this and got hyped.

"All helicopters have new more agile physics applied (you can do both barrel rolls and loops!)"
MorningTimeCloud
Enlisted: 2012-07-04
2015-03-03 19:07
Thanks DICE
Bohunk_l
US Enlisted: 2012-06-07
2015-03-03 19:18
Im glad to see many of the changes presented in this patch.

I have yet to experience them yet (still downloading the patch) but from what i have read of the patch notes some changes I personally have been hoping for made it into the game including a disable of squad spawn during combat (no more full squads out of thin air!)

Collision physics changes are also very welcome and so are the new flight mechanics.

Im also glad to see the inclusion of new players servers.
I talked to the pilots and DICE hates them because they favor infantry. I talked to the infantry and DICE hates them because they favor vehicles. I talked to the vehicles and DICE hates them because they favor pilots.
TheColdkillerCY
CY Enlisted: 2013-10-05
2015-03-03 19:36
Nice update so far dice thanks
SmoothieKingLive
US Enlisted: 2014-10-29
2015-03-03 19:37
Thermal is Useless now dice......this not in patch note. And its not right.....I retiring from BF4. TY
Los
chinav123
CA Enlisted: 2015-02-07
2015-03-03 19:45
did they ninja nerfed the ace 23
Vampswulf2
GB Enlisted: 2012-10-08
2015-03-03 19:46
great list but am dissapointed that there still isnt a fix for the cs-lr4 range adjustment not matching the range finder readout eg having to dial in a 300m range for a 200m target distance
DWinters1979
NL Enlisted: 2013-03-22
2015-03-03 19:56
Still broken!

Rubberbanding/microstutter
FANT0MEN89
SE Enlisted: 2011-10-27
2015-03-03 20:00
Nice work destroying the squad spawn, is it the same superhero that came up with the idea of the gunship?
mhx13
Enlisted: 2012-11-12
2015-03-03 20:29
Completely agree. Unusable now. Fix one thing and brake 2 others. One step forward two steps back. This is why you get slated in the news and are losing customers hand over fist. You are destroying your own franchise.
SmoothieKingLive said:
Thermal is Useless now dice......this not in patch note. And its not right.....I retiring from BF4. TY
fkingm3tal
SE Enlisted: 2012-11-14
2015-03-03 20:36
FANT0MEN89 said:
Nice work destroying the squad spawn, is it the same superhero that came up with the idea of the gunship?

Its called CUMSHIP , its a hate generator for everyone
Seacook_DK
DK Enlisted: 2011-10-29
2015-03-03 20:39
Time to do a rollback DICE....this shit is awful...can´t u really not do anything correct.....
GeForce GTX 770 2 gb AMD Phem x4 765 3.4 mhz cpu 16 gb 2133 HyperX ram 240 gb samsung pro ssd 22" monitor 120 Mhz ViewSonic c.y.b.o.r.g mad catz keyboard v7 logitech g502 mouse Asus MB M4n98 TD EVO
mhx13
Enlisted: 2012-11-12
2015-03-03 20:42
Agreed. Imagine if you have just bought BF4. This is the only sniper available when you start. You'd take it back to where you bought it as it doesn't work and demand a refund. Please please DICE fix this. We are your loyal fans. We buy your products but there is a limit to how far you can push us. Stop tampering with things that aren't broken and fix the things that are.
Vampswulf2 said:
great list but am dissapointed that there still isnt a fix for the cs-lr4 range adjustment not matching the range finder readout eg having to dial in a 300m range for a 200m target distance
Toni_81-FIN-
FI Enlisted: 2011-10-25
2015-03-03 20:58
SmoothieKingLive said:
Thermal is Useless now dice......this not in patch note. And its not right.

AGREE!!! wtf happened dice ?
travis151
Enlisted: 2015-01-22
2015-03-03 20:59
I'm just getting back into Battlefield hadn't played since 06'....we i use to be a good player. Today I saw to players spawn right in front of me and they didn't have any base around in area. Also it seems way too many people using some type of aim bot got killed with one bullet from a assault rifle about 200 meters away.....too many cheaters now! Dice fix that shit!!!! Also I'm happy no more squad spawns while in battle. If you die back to the base for you!
jag8899
US Enlisted: 2012-04-10
2015-03-03 21:01
Yes, are the changes to vehicle thermal intentional? Much less effective than before (way darker) and seems very inconsistent between maps.
F2000-BOSS
CA Enlisted: 2013-01-25
2015-03-03 21:04
anyone else still having problems with premium not being detected cause i am...
Krazie_Ivan
US Enlisted: 2011-12-02
2015-03-03 21:05
"Network prioritization and filtering has been improved, now prioritizes health/damage, enemy
players and vehicles above all."

if this actually is finally fixed, thank you Dice LA.

but... what else could have possibly been previously more important than these?!?! this game is a SHOOTER before and above all else, so i don't understand why it's 16mo into release before the core mechanics took precedence. sure bugs & imbalance are bothersome, but in a competitive game nothing else can be taken seriously when hit detection is utter garbage. PLEASE LEARN FROM THIS ! ...otherwise there's zero reason to buy future titles. (i have no desire to buy Hardline as of now)
search "=rTr=" for a list of our great servers... don't forget to uncheck all your boxes, and then join us on TeamSpeak 3 @ ts.righttorebel.net
Noko_Nolan
GB Enlisted: 2012-12-29
2015-03-03 21:11
Myself and a friend just took an update for battlefield and now it keeps shutting down on both PC's :(

Thread is locked.
Thread is locked.