BF4 Stuttering, Freezing, FPS drop - New FIX

LondonCitizen
GB Enlisted: 2012-01-07
2013-11-17 17:58 , edited 2013-11-18 13:41 by LondonCitizen
Stuttering, Freezing, FPS drop - FIX

Hello,

After alot of spent time trying to figure out this problem I finally found a way to fix my Stuttering problem and get smooth gameplay.
I tested this for more than 24 hours and I been able to play BF4 smoothly without any problems (Servers are still crashing, so count on seeing server side issues).
I also tested in different game modes, and high/low populated servers, fix is working in each case.
I been playing on Ultra details in 1920x1200 or 2560x1600 with High or Ultra (set to Custom) settings with 2x Antialiasing.

ISSUE:

BF4 Stuttering, freezing, dropping FPS during gameplay.
Problem would often suddently appear after several minutes of gameplay or after a map change.
Further suttering would continue even after restart of BF4 application. Only way to resolve a problem was fully restart the PC and play again, where after some time stuttering came back and I had to repeat whole reboot process again.

My Hardware:

Windows 8 x64 Pro fully patched
2x Intel Xeon 5150 CPUs
Intel 5000 series chipset mobo
EVGA Geforece GTX 660sc using 331.65 drivers
8GB RAM
OZC Agility 3 SSD - used for OS and BF4 install
Realtek HD Audio
BF4 - 64bit with latest client patch.

FIX:

Empty Standby Memory in Windows, can be done during gameplay, no restart needed.

- Download RAMMAP from microsoft http://technet.microsoft.com/en-gb/sysinternals/ff700229.aspx [technet.microsoft.com]
- Start Task Manager and go to Memory Section, Notice memory composition. It may look like you have plenty of memory free however the free memory is used by standby data in this case BF4 cached content.
- Run RAMMap which you downloaded from Microsoft.
- Start BF4.
- Once you game starts freezing after map change or during gameplay do following
- Alt + Tab to switch from BF4 to RAMMap. Go to "Empty" on the top of the menu
- Click Empty Standby List, You can also try Empty Priority 0 Standby List.
- Now press Atl + Tab to switch back to game and enjoy smooth gameplay without any freezes or stuttering.

Here is full description on what I've done on my PC to fix stuttering problem from default Windows 8 installation.

STEP A - You need to have more than 4GB RAM in order to do this. BF4 won't run only on 4GB with disabled Pagefile so please skip to STEB B.

1. Disable Page File
- Go to SystemHello,

After a lot of spent time trying to figure out this problem I finally found a way to fix my Stuttering problem and get smooth gameplay.
I tested this for more than 24 hours and I been able to play BF4 smoothly without any problems (Servers are still crashing, so count on seeing server side issues).
I also tested in different game modes, and high/low populated servers, fix is working in each case.
I been playing on Ultra details in 1920x1200 or 2560x1600 with High or Ultra (set to Custom) settings with 2x Antialiasing.

ISSUE:

BF4 Stuttering, freezing, dropping FPS during gameplay.
Problem would often suddenly appear after several minutes of gameplay or after a map change.
Further stuttering would continue even after restart of BF4 application. Only way to resolve a problem was fully restart the PC and play again, where after some time stuttering came back and I had to repeat whole reboot process again.

My Hardware:

Windows 8 x64 Pro - fully patched
2x Intel Xeon 5150 CPUs
Intel 5000 series chipset based motherboard
EVGA Geforce GTX 660 superclocked - using 331.65 drivers
8GB RAM
OZC Agility 3 SSD - used for OS and BF4 install
Realtek HD Audio
BF4 - 64bit with latest client patch.

FIX:

Empty Standby Memory in Windows, this can be done during gameplay, no restart needed.
I have also disabled pagefile, prefetch and superfetch as described further below.
I have tested this only on 8GB ram. Please make sure that you read the full post before making any changes.

- Download RAMMAP from microsoft http://technet.microsoft.com/en-gb/sysinternals/ff700229.aspx [technet.microsoft.com]
- Start Task Manager and go to Memory Section, Notice memory composition. It may look like you have plenty of memory free however the free memory is used by standby data in this case BF4 cached content (This is only visible once you start BF4) You can see this from details in RAMMap.
- Start BF4.
- Once your game starts freezing after map change or during gameplay do following
- Alt + Tab to switch from BF4 to RAMMap. Click "Empty" on the top of the RAMMap menu
- Click Empty Standby List (You can also verify in Task Manager that you Standby Memory usage is none or very low)
- Now press Atl + Tab to switch back to the game and enjoy smooth gameplay without any freezes or stuttering.

Here is full description on what I've done on my PC to fix stuttering problem from default Windows 8 installation.

STEP A
1. Disable Page File
- Go to System
- Go to Advance System Settings
- In Performance section click on Settings and click Advanced tab.
- In Virtual memory section click on Change... button
- Select each disk enabled with Paging and set setting to No Paging file and hit Set button
- Now all your listed disk should show Paging File Size as "None"
- Press OK button to exist from the menu
- We will reboot pc later once we change more settings, there is no need to restart the PC now.

2. Disable Superfetch
- Open run and type services.msc from run or win8 start screen (make sure applications on right menu is selected) or open services console by other means.
- Find Superfetch service, right click it and go to properties
- In General tab select startup type as disabled.
- We will reboot pc later once we change more settings, there is no need to restart the PC now.

3. Disable Prefetch
- Open registry editor, type regedit (You need to have admin rights)
- Navigate to following key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management\PrefetchParameters\
- Right click and select Modify on "EnablePrefetcher" and set Value data: to "0" click ok
- Right click and select Modify on "EnableSuperfetch" and set Value data: to "0" click ok

4. Restart your PC.

Notes: I found that my PC was stuttering, freezing every time my disk usage on SSD jumped to almost 100% utilization.
100% utilization have been caused by paging BF4 content. Why is system constantly paging with when I have 8GB of memory?
My memory was hardly utilized I got 8GB and BF4.exe only used 1.2 - 2 GB in processes yet still it was paging.
I decided to get rid of page file to minimize disk usage.

After I minimized my disk usage I noticed game would still freeze after several minutes or when map changes, so I analysed memory composition and found
a problem with Standby Memory. You will have to empty standby memory whenever your PC starts freezing.

STEP B

1. Empty Standby Memory in Windows (this can be done during gameplay no restart of PC necessary)
- Download RAMMAP from Microsoft http://technet.microsoft.com/en-gb/sysinternals/ff700229.aspx [technet.microsoft.com]
- Start Task Manager and go to Memory Section, Notice memory composition. It may look like you have plenty of memory free however, free memory is used by standby data
- Start BF4.
- Once you game starts stuttering after map change or during gameplay do following
- Alt + Tab to switch from BF4 to RAMMap. Go to Empty on the top of the menu
- Click Empty Standby List
- Now press Atl + Tab to switch back to game and enjoy smooth gameplay without any freezes or stuttering.

Notes: I was watching memory usage and memory composition and noticed that even windows is reporting I have 5GB of memory available during BF4 game, the Free memory was actually only 256MB.

After some time the free memory reached 0 and standby memory was fully used. This is completely normal with Windows 7 or Windows 8.
Windows will assume that your standby memory is free to use and is available to system at any time, it is always reported as free memory.
BF4 however is using standby memory to cache up a lot of assets, textures, objects.
After each test my stuttering started shortly or after my standby memory reached maximum amount. As soon as I emptied standby memory, BF4 re-cached only required content leaving some free memory and stuttering stopped.

I have not yet found automated way to empty standby memory and also this cannot be disabled in OS.
I seen some 3rd party exe files or utilities which can empty standby memory from cmd. You could possibly automate this and create scheduled task or batch script to execute and empty standby memory on the PC at certain time intervals.
This would save you trouble from switching from BF4 to RAMMap and back each time.
I have not tested these 3rd party files and cannot guarantee if they are trustworthy or safe to use
If I find any way to automate process I will post update.

It would be great if you could post feedback whether this is working for you or if you get any different results.
I have tested this so far only on mine PC. If you need help let me know, if this works for more people we can make better tutorial or look further to automatic this task.

London Citizen
- Go to Advance System Settings
- In Performance section click on Settings and click Advanced tab.
- In Virtual memory section click on Change... button
- Select each disk enabled with Paging and set setting to No Paging file and hit Set button
- Now all your listed disk should show Paging File Size as "None"
- Press OK button to exist from the menu

2. Disable Superfetch
- Open run and type services.msc from run or win8 start screen (make sure applications on right menu is selected) or open services console by other m
BrainyCabde
US Enlisted: 2012-12-01
2013-11-18 00:45
Didn't do anything for me besides make my ping go hgher and took longer loading some applications. Do yourselves a favor and don't listen to this guy.
LondonCitizen
2013-11-18 01:39
BrainyCabde said:
Didn't do anything for me besides make my ping go hgher and took longer loading some applications. Do yourselves a favor and don't listen to this guy.

Hello Brainy Cabde

This is a confirmed fix which fixed other people not just me, it may not apply to your situation or problem. It appears that the game have problem to manage resources in memory and pagefile, got problem with loading assets. (at least on my system and few others) I think people here are old enough to decide whether to try this fix or not, no need to tell others what to do or who to listen to.

Every configuration is different and there are tons of different issues people experience, this may not work in every case but it may help a lot of people until we see another patch to come out.

Ever since I done this I can finally play. One thing to note is I need to do this several times during the gameplay, that's why I'm trying to come out with automated way to free standby memory and run it as scheduled task in background.

I can't possibly see how this could make your ping higher. Change does not have anything to do with network.
Loading could take slightly longer for those with regular HDDs since you are not caching anything but if it fixes the problem who cares.
I would not recommend to turn off Pagefile unless you have more than 4GB of RAM,

Turning off prefetch and superfetch, disabling page file might not be required for the fix to work, I just say I done this on my PC prior to emptying Memory.
I fully reinstalled my Windows 8 left everything in default settings, updated drivers and just done the changes which I described above.

You just need to empty Standby Memory with RAMMap as described above, (Embry Standby List) If this does not work try to also empty Priority 0 Standby List.

Best way is to run game in borderless mode and observe Task Manager Performance monitor and Resource Monitor to see what is utilized by your system the most to spot any problems. I been able to confirmed that the freezes occurred and been linked to disk usage (when system paged) and I observed huge memory changes in RAM.

Whenever I died and experience micro freezing or stuttering I seen huge changes in RAM usage, sometimes ever 100 - 300MB up and down, system loading / unloading resources. When I cleared up standby memory it stopped.

I would be great if you could post some of your specs and explain how exactly is your game freezing, perhaps I could help. Could you see any pattern?
On my system I experienced freezes when I died or got hit with bullet, whenever map changed or just after 10 minutes of gameplay, whenever I seen vehicles nearby. This also caused sound looping while game stuttered.
BrainyCabde
2013-11-18 05:01 , edited 2013-11-18 21:59 by BrainyCabde
I'm sorry. I realize I came off as a douche earlier. No disrespect man. I realize you're just trying to help people here.

I've observed my fps with the perfoverlay.drawgraph command and I can clearly see my cpu is causing the 30-40fps spikes, and i've run the game with RTSS to see GPU usage and memory usage and during the smooth gameplay my GPU usage is at 85-95%, but when the spikes happen it goes down to 60-75% usage. I use all low settings except mesh at medium, and both terrain settings at ultra and I have both AA methods turned off and ambient occlusion is also turned off.

I have GTX 570, I5-2320, 8GB of RAM, HDD, and I have Windows 7 64 bit Home Premium. I can play all settings on high except for textures at medium(because if I use high or ultra my vram goes too high), and I can get 60 fps most of the time with those same CPU spikes but more often. I've even lowered resolution and nothing. I've unparked my cores, used you're method, done the above, set pre rendered frames from 1-3, and nothing seems to get rid of these spikes all the way. I also formated my HDD and reinstalled windows and all drivers right before playing this, and that did nothing for me. All drivers are up to date also.

Not sure if this info will help, but I appreciate any help I can get. Again sorry about the previous comment man. I'm thinking maybe this game was just meant to run on windows 8 because of the cpu optimizations that come with dx11.1, but I could be wrong. Hopefully DICE will fix this issue. or Nvidia will release another driver. In the mean time I guess i'm SOFL.
Raipeh
FI Enlisted: 2011-11-17
2013-11-18 10:03 , edited 2013-11-18 10:04 by Raipeh
I have been having the exact same problem as the original poster. Can play fine without stuttering for 10 to 20 minutes, depending on map/mode, then stuttering begins when things go boom, I fire my gun or die.

Trying this fix ASAP to see if it works out. I have 4GB memory at the moment (yes, my system does meet the minimal requirements and I get 60 FPS capped at normal settings, so nobody don't start telling me about upgrade, also, telling people just to simply "upgrade" is just plain dumb), so you would suggest only trying this part:

FIX:

Empty Standby Memory in Windows, this can be done during gameplay, no restart needed.
I have also disabled pagefile, prefetch and superfetch as described further below.
I have tested this only on 8GB ram. Please make sure that you read the full post before making any changes.

- Start Task Manager and go to Memory Section, Notice memory composition. It may look like you have plenty of memory free however the free memory is used by standby data in this case BF4 cached content (This is only visible once you start BF4) You can see this from details in RAMMap.
- Start BF4.
- Once your game starts freezing after map change or during gameplay do following
- Alt + Tab to switch from BF4 to RAMMap. Click "Empty" on the top of the RAMMap menu
- Click Empty Standby List (You can also verify in Task Manager that you Standby Memory usage is none or very low)
- Now press Atl + Tab to switch back to the game and enjoy smooth gameplay without any freezes or stuttering.

Also, I spoke to a EA Helper and he pointed me to this thread directly.
LondonCitizen
2013-11-18 13:39
Hello,

No worries BrainyCabde, I been through all same fixes as you, reinstalled Windows multiple times, changed all different graphics settings, where then it would seem its finally running and then problem came always back after some time. It did not made any difference whether I ran game in ultra or low settings. Problem was less noticeable in low settings since I had much higher fps but it was still present.

Apparently we had users confirming if they have 4GB of RAM they cannot disable page file, it will make game run out of memory. So if you guys have 4GB do not disable pagefile. It looks like game needs more memory than 4GB to cache the files.

My system have 8GB so if I disable pagefile Windows is using my Standby memory to cache these files.
If you have 4GB just skip step about disabling prefetch,superfetch and disabling page file and just try to clear up memory with RAMMap during gameplay.
I have no means of confirming with my system whether this will actually work, but it can be worth of try.

I have also changed NVidia settings to Maximum pre-rendered frames to 1 but I doubt this will make any difference.
Strange enough when I look at BF4 process it would normally utilize only about 1.8 - 2.2 GB of my RAM. All the rest is being utilized by pagefile, in my case when is switched off pagefile it is being now utilized by standby RAM. Surely these assets could be loaded straight into RAM but I have no visibility of how assets are being loaded up into memory and why is it doing like that. I'm sure developers had a reason to do it, however it looks like this is what is causing a problem for me.

When I analyse contents of standby memory in RAMMap I can see lots of cached content from BF4 most of the files being caches are *.CAS files. Some of them are 200MB +.

I noticed when I died I had huge spikes and changes in memory usage, for example my RAM usage would go up 100 - 300MB up and then drop down by another 100MB. It looked like something is being loaded and then unloaded to my RAM and thats when my freezes and stuttering occurred.

This memory spikes were roughly same size as *.CAS files which been cached on my system, so I suspect that there is a link between this cached content and spikes. Not sure why is that I would assume system should be able to do these operations smoothly and fast enough.

This would perhaps point to performance issue with my PC but I do not have any problem with other titles or BF3. I appear to have problem only with BF4.

When you get hit by bullet or there is explosion nearby there must be content being loaded up in the memory from page file or standby memory being repurposed. Perhaps if I deleted my standby memory it forced system to load up all assets I need during gameplay to my active memory so I got around caching but again I cannot confirm this, reason can be completely different.

Another thing with that fix is that it is not one time fix. I need to empty standby memory when I start BF4 and then during gameplay or after each map change to keep it smooth. So if you do it and you can run game fine and problem comes back you need to do it again. You do not need to close BF4, simply do it during gameplay.

In general I would assume you can use this both for Win7 & Win8, We definitely need to wait for a patch.
BrainyCabde
2013-11-18 21:47 , edited 2013-11-18 21:55 by BrainyCabde
DICE needs to hire you man, you're on something here. Have you informed DICE of what you've found. This would probably help them find the main issues to the fps drops. I'm installing Windows 8 later today and will let you know if that fixed or helped the situation to further find out if this is an isolated issue with Windows 7. Keep up the good work LondonCitizen.

Edit - Also forgot to add that the most current drivers(331.65) are rumored to have issues with 400 and 500 series cards, which might be a whole other issue for me considering my gtx 570, but unlikely do to the fact that the spikes are coming from my cpu. Just something I thought i'd add.
LondonCitizen
2013-11-18 22:05 , edited 2013-11-18 22:53 by LondonCitizen
BrainyCabde said:
DICE needs to hire you man, you're on something here. Have you informed DICE of what you've found. This would probably help them find the main issues to the fps drops. I'm installing Windows 8 later today and will let you know if that fixed or helped the situation to further find out if this is an isolated issue with Windows 7. Keep up the good work LondonCitizen.

Edit - Also forgot to add that the most current drivers(331.65) are rumored to have issues with 400 and 500 series cards, which might be a whole other issue for me considering my gtx 570, but unlikely do to the fact that the spikes are coming from my cpu. Just something I thought i'd add.

That's a nice one I only tested with GTX 660, People which confirmed fix is working have also 600 series or Radeon cards.

I posted another thread here if you want to have a look its a same thing but the place is a little more busier.

http://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf4/forum/threadview/2955064768422384681/last/ [battlelog.battlefield.com]

We had another user confirming this weird usage problem where he is getting only 2.2GB of RAM being utilized and the rest of content is being loaded up into cache.

I will appreciate if you can post any feedback once you do more testing.

I have not spoke to anybody from DICE not sure how to get to technical, I'm sure if I'm on something here people which look after the forum will pass it over, lets hope so as it looks like other people are observing exactly same thing as I do.

Thanks.

Hello All,

I done some more investigation around pagefile and cached content.
I have not tested this and looking for any volunteers which could try this out.
I cannot guarantee this will or can help but it would be interesting to see if it does make any difference .

For all of those with 4GB of RAM where usage of pagefile is mandatory in order to run BF4 try to see if you can clear pagefile content.
This option is not set a default on Win7 or Win8. Pagefile content is not being automatically cleared and can grow overtime.
This option can be changed so Windows will automatically clear contents of your pagefile at each shutdown and it will rebuild your pagefile upon fresh start, leaving no cached content behind.

This is how you do it.

1. Start Registry Editor (You will need admin rights)
2. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management
3. Right click ClearPageFileAtShutdown and select Modify
4. Set value to 1
5. Close registry editor, shutdown your system
6. Start your system, at this point your old pagefile content have been erased
7. Start BF4 and see if this had any effect. BF4 will try to rebuild cached content.

Could you please post if you seen any difference or improvement. If it does not help or do any difference please change your settings back to original.
This is not guaranteed fix rather just an idea which might not resolve a problem but to find out it needs to be tested.
BrainyCabde
2013-11-19 13:10
Alright. Just finished formatting my drive and installing Windows 8.1 with updated drivers and windows updates. CPU spikes are 100% gone. I shit you not. I was hoping I wouldn't have to spend the money on Windows 8, but it was well worth it.

I run the game at all ultra settings except no AA, Ambient Occlusion, Motion blur, Post AA, and textures are dropped to medium because my 570 only has 1.2GB and when I set the Textures to High I still get playable FPS, but I like to keep it above 60. I also tested on a 64 player server and no spikes there either:)

So it seems this game really was designed with Windows 8 in mind. If you guys have Windows 7 still and don't want to upgrade, use LondonCitizen's method. I'm sure I was doing something wrong when I tried(I was really tired that night), but if you have the money to spend, just get windows 8.1. It cost me $119 and my game is running perfect with no spikes anymore. I will keep posted if anything else changes or comes to thought.

List of my specs one more time-

CPU- I5-2320
RAM- 8 GB 1333Mhz
GPU- GTX 570HD
HDD- 1TB
OS- Windows 8.1
All drivers updated and Windows up-to-date
LondonCitizen
2013-11-19 13:56
BrainyCabde said:
Alright. Just finished formatting my drive and installing Windows 8.1 with updated drivers and windows updates. CPU spikes are 100% gone. I shit you not. I was hoping I wouldn't have to spend the money on Windows 8, but it was well worth it.

I run the game at all ultra settings except no AA, Ambient Occlusion, Motion blur, Post AA, and textures are dropped to medium because my 570 only has 1.2GB and when I set the Textures to High I still get playable FPS, but I like to keep it above 60. I also tested on a 64 player server and no spikes there either:)

So it seems this game really was designed with Windows 8 in mind. If you guys have Windows 7 still and don't want to upgrade, use LondonCitizen's method. I'm sure I was doing something wrong when I tried(I was really tired that night), but if you have the money to spend, just get windows 8.1. It cost me $119 and my game is running perfect with no spikes anymore. I will keep posted if anything else changes or comes to thought.

CPU- I5-2320
RAM- 8 GB 1333Mhz
GPU- GTX 570HD
HDD- 1TB
OS- Windows 8.1

I might try to update to Windows 8.1 as installing Windows 8.0 have not made any difference for me, I just seen new Nvidia's beta driver is out 331.82 so I will give it a try, people are reporting fps boost.
Serhend
Enlisted: 2013-10-05
2013-11-19 16:16
London I found a way to make this process automatic, add me for details.
LondonCitizen
2013-11-19 16:20
Serhend said:
London I found a way to make this process automatic, add me for details.

Hello, that's sounds exiting.

I tested the new drivers, still have same issue however there is noticeable increase in fps on my system whenever I play in 2560x1600 on high or high / ultra mixed settings. Update is definitely improvement in performance.
M0nkky
BE Enlisted: 2011-11-02
2013-11-20 12:42 , edited 2013-11-20 13:29 by M0nkky
No having Windows 8.1 doesn't solve this issue, I still get huge CPU spikes. I also unparked my cores and installed the latest drivers (motherboard, chipset, graphic card,...)

update:
I tried your solution (dowloading RAMMap +empty the standby list before launching BF4) And during the loading screen I got incredible CPU spikes....1 FPS!!!! (perfoverlay.drawgraph + perfoverlay.drawFps). WTF?

My specs:

i7 4770k (3.5 ghz)
MSI GTX 770 Twin frozr gaming 2gb
2x4 go 1600 mhz Kingston
Seagate barracuda 1To
Bequiet 630 w bronze 80+

LondonCitizen said:
BrainyCabde said:

CPU- I5-2320
RAM- 8 GB 1333Mhz
GPU- GTX 570HD
HDD- 1TB
OS- Windows 8.1
I might try to update to Windows 8.1 as installing Windows 8.0 have not made any difference for me, I just seen new Nvidia's beta driver is out 331.82 so I will give it a try, people are reporting fps boost.
LondonCitizen
2013-11-20 14:29
Hello M0nkky,

It will be worthwhile you use resource monitor to find out what other processes are eating on your cpu when you get these spikes.
I found that for example windows update service was eating my CPU especially with Windows 8. There been a process called Tiworker.exe which been causing CPU load on my system, I killed the process and my cpu load was much less. I had this especially when I was playing BF4 and my cpu usage hit 100%, normally its around 90%.

This does not need to be necessarily same process on your system that's why you need to do some investigation. If possible run BF4 in borderless mode and try to load up resource monitor on top of BF4 so you can see at all times, then just sort monitor info by processes which use most CPU.

You will be interested in most 3 or 4 apps that use cpu. BF4 might show as first so in such case look for 2nd or 3rd app which is using most of CPU and see what it is.

Also it could be great if you can update power options and choose high performance plan.
Once you set it go to change advance settings and try to adjust minimum cpu power state and increase it to see if that does any difference.

There is a slight chance that power management could cause this.

If this is happening after a long time when you play check out temperatures on the CPU, there is a plenty of cpu temp apps out there, it could be that CPU will run hot under constant load, unlikely as you have new system but its good to check just to make sure.

It is unlikely that standby memory trick would work with you as I had problems with Memory spikes on my system.

M0nkky said:
No having Windows 8.1 doesn't solve this issue, I still get huge CPU spikes. I also unparked my cores and installed the latest drivers (motherboard, chipset, graphic card,...)

update:
I tried your solution (dowloading RAMMap +empty the standby list before launching BF4) And during the loading screen I got incredible CPU spikes....1 FPS!!!! (perfoverlay.drawgraph + perfoverlay.drawFps). WTF?

My specs:

i7 4770k (3.5 ghz)
MSI GTX 770 Twin frozr gaming 2gb
2x4 go 1600 mhz Kingston
Seagate barracuda 1To
Bequiet 630 w bronze 80+

LondonCitizen said:
BrainyCabde said:

CPU- I5-2320
RAM- 8 GB 1333Mhz
GPU- GTX 570HD
HDD- 1TB
OS- Windows 8.1
Serhend
2013-11-20 14:32
331.82 smoothed out the game for me so much that I did not need to tweak the BF4 profile in Nvidia Driver, can also enable 4xMsaa now without stuttering.

Installed it using Display Driver Uninstaller in Safe Mode as recommended by DDU creator.
BrainyCabde
2013-11-20 15:54 , edited 2013-11-20 15:58 by BrainyCabde
Ok Monkky. Saying it doesn't work is too general of a statement(kind of like what I said up above when I first tried LondonCitizen's trick). Have you tried doing a clean install of your OS. Do that and update drivers to most current. Also make sure net framework 4.5.1 is installed and update directx runtime(comes with the game, or just use the most current installer microsoft has on their website).

I did a clean install of windows 8.1 and not just an upgrade from windows 8, so it came with net framework 4.5.1 and all I really had to do was install system drivers and most current nvidia drivers, and I no longer get the cpu spikes(except I did some testing on 64 player servers yesterday, and the spikes are there but
not as bad). With your system you should be getting way better fps than me, so I would just format your drive and do a clean install of everything, test it on 32 player servers and you shouldn't have a problem. DICE still needs to optimize the game to run smoother for 64 player servers obviously. Hopefully a patch will fix that. Good luck man. Keep in touch.

Edit- Forgot to say that you should use the console command-- renderdevice.renderaheadlimit 2
This seems to give the best fps between 1 or 3. Also use gametime.maxvariablefps 60 That seems to help with some of the microstutter.
LondonCitizen
2013-11-20 16:10
Nice one.

BrainyCabde said:
Ok Monkky. Saying it doesn't work is too general of a statement(kind of like what I said up above when I first tried LondonCitizen's trick). Have you tried doing a clean install of your OS. Do that and update drivers to most current. Also make sure net framework 4.5.1 is installed and update directx runtime(comes with the game, or just use the most current installer microsoft has on their website).

I did a clean install of windows 8.1 and not just an upgrade from windows 8, so it came with net framework 4.5.1 and all I really had to do was install system drivers and most current nvidia drivers, and I no longer get the cpu spikes(except I did some testing on 64 player servers yesterday, and the spikes are there but
not as bad). With your system you should be getting way better fps than me, so I would just format your drive and do a clean install of everything, test it on 32 player servers and you shouldn't have a problem. DICE still needs to optimize the game to run smoother for 64 player servers obviously. Hopefully a patch will fix that. Good luck man. Keep in touch.

Edit- Forgot to say that you should use the console command-- renderdevice.renderaheadlimit 2
This seems to give the best fps between 1 or 3. Also use gametime.maxvariablefps 60 That seems to help with some of the microstutter.
Serhend
2013-11-20 16:44
Is renderahead 2 also the smoothest out of 1-2-3? I am using 1 and default is 3 I guess, 3 was a lot worse than 1, haven't tried 2.
BrainyCabde
2013-11-20 19:34
Yes Serhend. I've tested -1,0,1,2,3,4, and 5 and 2 gives the best performance out of all.
HitTheTip
US Enlisted: 2011-11-25
2013-11-20 22:35 , edited 2013-11-20 22:43 by HitTheTip
Serhend said:
331.82 smoothed out the game for me so much that I did not need to tweak the BF4 profile in Nvidia Driver, can also enable 4xMsaa now without stuttering.

Installed it using Display Driver Uninstaller in Safe Mode as recommended by DDU creator.

Can you explain specifically what you did during the install to get the "smooth" gameplay? I haven't been able to run 4x MSAA without stuttering.

SPECS
Intel Quadcore i7-2700K 3.5Ghz Unlocked - OC @ 4.6GHz
Asus Maximus V Formula Mobo
32GB G.Skill Trident X Series @2133MHz
2 - 2GB EVGA GeForce GTX 660Ti FTW Signature (SLI)
EVGA SuperNova 80 Plus Gold 1300w PSU
Corsair H-100i CPU Liquid Cooler
120GB Corsair Neutron Series GTX SSD w/ Windows 8.1 64 bit OS
240GB OCZ Vertex 3 SSD (games only)
24" BenQ XL2420TE 1ms LCD @ 144Hz