Thread is locked.

[Guide] A Wookies Cheat-Sheet for 1HKO's

Naive_AU
Enlisted: 2011-10-27
2013-12-24 23:42 , edited 2014-10-02 08:51 by Naive_AU

TL:DR

• Shot/distance charts for all snipers, up to (including) Dragon's Teeth. (Updated for Sept 30 Patch)
• x4, x8, x20, x40 (+x14 Variable Zoom)

Note: Distances have been 'rounded' to the nearest integer for this release

CHARTS HERE
x4 Scope
http://i.imgur.com/uMuJNwl.png [i.imgur.com]

x8 Scope (includes x14 Variable Zoom)
http://i.imgur.com/JRNdKE2.png [i.imgur.com]

x20 Scope (includes x14 Variable Zoom)
http://i.imgur.com/Ps68xMu.png [i.imgur.com]

x40 Scope (includes x14 Variable Zoom)
http://i.imgur.com/OZxhGcg.png [i.imgur.com]

IMPORTANT

You can't utilise "zeroing" with a suppressor, this part of the game was coded in an insane way.

Chart's work fine under these circumstances
• Sniper + Scope + Suppressor
• Sniper + Scope + No Suppressor
• Sniper + Scope + No Suppressor + Zeroing (for the intervals between each marker/mil-dot)
• Sniper + Scope + Suppressor + Zeroing = random combination/distance for each sniper.

Video Example
• M40A5, w/ x20 Scope, No Suppressor: http://youtu.be/SHpktYA0-xU [youtu.be] (M40A5)

Video Example
• SV98, w/ x20 Scope, w/ Suppressor: http://youtu.be/VsG6YCooLwg [youtu.be] (SV98)
→ 0→8 = Working as intended, 9-25 = bug (zeroing doesn't work properly).

Select the relevant cheat-sheet for your Scope/Sniper and place it on a 2nd display / print it out

Hi Sniper's.

You've probably noticed in battlefield 4 that the long-range sniper scopes all look the same. They have the usual centre crosshairs and then some additional line markings on the X and Y axis. You've probably also realised that to hit targets at long distance, you need to aim 'above' the target to compensate for the 'bullet drop' that exists in this game. What you probably didn't know was that each of those additional 'lines' (mil-dots/notches) actually represent pre-calibrated distance intervals.

If you take a look at pictures (below) you should have a better understanding of what I mean.

The scope's may look the same on all the sniper's but the 'calibrated' distances are actually different (due to each sniper's unique bullet drop and muzzle velocity), if you used a SV98 and an FY-JS with an x20 scope and aimed at the same location the shots would hit completely different targets. Each sniper's unique details can be found at symthic (below).

In-game, you have the ability to 'zero-out' your shots, but can actually make your shots worse if you're using the mil-dots/notches as a point of reference.

The linked cheat-sheet will tell you the distances calibrated into your sniper/scope if you're firing horizontal shots (ie, across a flat field). Obviously targets will not always be the exact perfect distances and high-ground/low-ground may play a factor but at a glance, the cheat-sheet will help you decide how much you will need to adjust your aim in order to place the shot.

The values in the cheat-sheet have been calculated based on the data (from symthic) and the trajectory formulas from wikipedia. Testing has been performed in-game (test-range & live servers) to validate the accuracy of the chart. The CS-LR4 was used as the point of reference to determine the 'angles' calibrated to the mil-dots/notches on the scopes.

Try it yourself, pick-up your favourite sniper/scope, go to the test range, place a MAV at the calibrated distance and fire a shot (MAV will tell you how far away it is from you).

Note: Test-Range is limited to about 300M on the pier/objective bravo side of the map.

References
x40, x20, x8 Scopes (Variable Zoom looks the same as the Primary Scope)
http://i.imgur.com/CzSTiWL.jpg?1 [i.imgur.com]

ACOG
http://i.imgur.com/bK9FD4R.jpg [i.imgur.com]

JGM-4
http://i.imgur.com/07Hr7PH.jpg [i.imgur.com]

PSO-1
http://i.imgur.com/DrL35yr.jpg [i.imgur.com]

• Sniper Details
http://symthic.com/bf4-weapon-charts?recon=1&sort=Class&adsc=DESC&attc1=None&attc2=None [symthic.com]

• Formulas (calculations, etc)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trajectory_of_a_projectile [en.wikipedia.org]
I will not repudiate battle on a fair and level field, but neither will I tolerate a one-sided massacre of the weak by the strong. The only ones who should kill are those who are prepared to be killed! - Lelouch vi Britannia, Enemy of the World.
OguDak
US Enlisted: 2011-10-28
2013-12-24 23:51
3.1k ucav kills lel
i5 3570k, Asrock z77 extreme 4, MSI GTX 970, Crucial m4 128gb, Western Digital 1tb, Corsair 750w
Nova-MK-X
DE Enlisted: 2011-10-26
2013-12-24 23:56
118 Mortar kills, XD

I can just take a stat and laugh about it too....

What exactly did this excercise now pertain to ?
I am Shalashaska, also called... Revolver Ocelot
Septevar
GB Enlisted: 2012-09-12
2013-12-25 00:00
useful thanks for sharing, im a complete newb at sniping an never really got into it, think i will try it out with the spreadsheet distances.
M60E4
US Enlisted: 2012-09-10
2013-12-25 00:01
OguDak said:
3.1k ucav kills lel

ok can't take seriously OP anymore lol
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=45jUqy9GcGk
Naive_AU
2013-12-25 00:47
Septevar said:
useful thanks for sharing, im a complete newb at sniping an never really got into it, think i will try it out with the spreadsheet distances.

Thanks Septevar, best of luck for the next time you pick up a sniper.
I will not repudiate battle on a fair and level field, but neither will I tolerate a one-sided massacre of the weak by the strong. The only ones who should kill are those who are prepared to be killed! - Lelouch vi Britannia, Enemy of the World.
OguDak
US Enlisted: 2011-10-28
2013-12-25 01:21
darkheart_785 said:
OguDak said:
3.1k ucav kills lel
ok can't take seriously OP anymore lol

yeah he musta spammed that shit
i5 3570k, Asrock z77 extreme 4, MSI GTX 970, Crucial m4 128gb, Western Digital 1tb, Corsair 750w
johnehlol
CA Enlisted: 2013-08-15
2013-12-25 01:33
Nova-MK-X said:
118 Mortar kills, XD

I can just take a stat and laugh about it too....

What exactly did this excercise now pertain to ?

There's a huge difference between 118 Mortar kills and 3.1k UCAV kills, don't pretend like you don't know what this "exercise" is pertaining to.
YourSix
US Enlisted: 2011-10-25
2013-12-25 01:38
Sad stats for that many ucav kills
FfC Recruitment Thread - http://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf4/forum/threadview/2979150493870204922/
Naive_AU
2013-12-25 04:41
It's funny how people care about stats that mean absolutely nothing.
losk64
US Enlisted: 2011-11-07
2013-12-25 04:48 , edited 2014-01-20 05:39 by losk64
Edit: Editing out my post because despite Naïve not having many sniper rifle kills, this could actually be somewhat useful for those looking to snipe from the longer ranges and for those looking to get into using the bolt actions. I personally don't think it becomes extremely helpful at anything under 100m since at that range it basically boils down to reflexes and loads of practice, but hey, that's just my opinion. Sorry for the initial semi-hostile response.
EternalSeas
RU Enlisted: 2011-11-26
2013-12-25 04:50
The scope image, I like.
Bill Bill Bill Bill Bill Bill Bill Bill Bill Bill, Bill Nye the Science guy!
Naive_AU
2013-12-25 05:27
EternalSeas said:
The scope image, I like.

Thanks, figured it was the easiest way to explain / show people in a way they would understand.
MegaloDorian
US Enlisted: 2011-10-26
2013-12-25 05:53 , edited 2013-12-25 06:17 by MegaloDorian
I'd say this is inaccurate. The bullet drop formula for Battlefield: Bad Company 2, Battlefield 3, and Battlefield 4 can be expressed as this.

b = ( d / v )^2 * g / 2

b = bullet drop in meters
d = distance to target in meters
v = bullet velocity in meters per second
g = gravity in meters per second per second

With just about any projectile in the game, it have quadruple the amount of drop at 200 meters than what it'd have at 100 meters. Let's look at the chart with the M40A5 (using the zero at zero meters and with the 8x scope). If one would to have to aim 1 Mil-Dot above the target at 276.48 meters, then they'd have to aim 2 Mil-Dots above the target at just a little over 391 meters, not 552.96 meters. The chart doesn't seem to take into account that projectiles move in a parabolic pattern in the game.

EDIT: Disregard most of what I typed. I really didn't take into account the relationship between Mil-Dots and the distance from the target (I'm not exactly sure what they call this, think of a stadiametric rangefinder). What I typed about Mil-Dots would have been true if the distance between the shooter and target was doubled, but the zoom of the doubled distance was higher than the zoom of the original distance (as in the target seeming the same distance away from both distances due to the zoom increase of the longer distance).
Naive_AU
2013-12-25 06:21
Doriandactyl said:
I'd say this is inaccurate. The bullet drop formula for Battlefield: Bad Company 2, Battlefield 3, and Battlefield 4 can be expressed as this.

b = ( d / v )^2 * g / 2

With just about any projectile in the game, it have quadruple the amount of drop at 200 meters than what it'd have at 100 meters. Let's look at the chart with the M40A5 (using the zero at zero meters and with the 8x scope). If one would to have to aim 1 Mil-Dot above the target at 276.48 meters, then they'd have to aim 2 Mil-Dots above the target at just a little over 391 meters, not 552.96 meters. The chart doesn't seem to take into account that projectiles move in a parabolic pattern in the game.

d = ((v^2) * sin(2 * ø))/g

d = distance travelled
v = initial velocity (ie, muzzle speed)
g = gravity/bullet drop
ø = angel° of the shot.

This formula already factors in a parabolic arc with an assumption that the firing angle and target are at equal heights (effectively Y = 0).

You can confirm the validity of the chart yourself via the test range. The easiest sniper for 'validation' purposes is arguably the SV98 with either a x40 or x20 scope as you're limited to a maximum test range distance (with a flat/horizontal shot) of approximately 300M.

My terminology may be off (ie, a mil-dot isn't what I think it is) but the horizontal lines on the Y-axis will correspond to each of the 'notches' in the chart.
BlackWorksInc
Enlisted: 2011-10-26
2013-12-25 06:26 , edited 2013-12-25 06:26 by BlackWorksInc
Eh, this helps explain the discrepancies I have noticed with scopes and rifles. Its not too hard to counter act since BF's bullet drop is very linear with minimal ballistic reality.

All in all good work.
MegaloDorian
US Enlisted: 2011-10-26
2013-12-25 06:39 , edited 2013-12-25 06:46 by MegaloDorian
Naive_AU said:
Doriandactyl said:

b = ( d / v )^2 * g / 2

d = ((v^2) * sin(2 * ø))/g

d = distance travelled
v = initial velocity (ie, muzzle speed)
g = gravity/bullet drop
ø = angel° of the shot.

This formula already factors in a parabolic arc with an assumption that the firing angle and target are at equal heights (effectively Y = 0).

You can confirm the validity of the chart yourself via the test range. The easiest sniper for 'validation' purposes is arguably the SV98 with either a x40 or x20 scope as you're limited to a maximum test range distance (with a flat/horizontal shot) of approximately 300M.

My terminology may be off (ie, a mil-dot isn't what I think it is) but the horizontal lines on the Y-axis will correspond to each of the 'notches' in the chart.

My terminology also isn't that good. My confusion came from the relationship between that of distance and how big an object appears to be. For instance, when you move twice the distance away from an enemy, they appear to be half of the size from the original distance. So, I'll go back to the M40A5 example. When using the 8x scope, the chart says I'd need to aim one Mil-Dot above the target at 276.48 meters. At 200 meters and using a 16x scope (double the zoom), you'd aim two Mil-Dots above the target at about 391 meters (that's if I'm doing this correctly). Keeping the 8x zoom, there's more of an "image size" difference between the two Mil-Dots than the 16x scope at the same range due to the lower optic zoom. So, that second Mil-Dot might correspond to 552.96 meters. That's if that makes any sense whatsoever.
DUMBDUMB3
Enlisted: 2013-10-30
2013-12-25 06:56
Wow you guys are taking this way too far. Lol. Can't wait having to adjust for wind too.
Naive_AU
2013-12-25 07:42
DUMBDUMB3 said:
Wow you guys are taking this way too far. Lol. Can't wait having to adjust for wind too.

You'd have very few people sniping if there was wind.

At any rate, the game has enough 'snipers', just none of them can actually hit targets. Cheat-sheet makes it inexcusable to not at least get very very close to hitting a target.
BlackWorksInc
Enlisted: 2011-10-26
2013-12-25 07:45
Naive_AU said:
DUMBDUMB3 said:
You'd have very few people sniping if there was wind.

At any rate, the game has enough 'snipers', just none of them can actually hit targets. Cheat-sheet makes it inexcusable to not at least get very very close to hitting a target.

Windage would make sniping interesting... even a mild windage would discourage most wanna be snipers and affect marksmen seeking 300+ shots.

Thread is locked.
Thread is locked.