Thread is locked.

DLC in list = Non prem can't join (even vanilla)

S7aIker
GB Enlisted: 2011-10-24
2013-12-05 09:55 , edited 2013-12-05 09:56 by S7aIker
This has probably already been mentioned (sorry if this is the case). If you have a DLC map listed in your server map list then this prevents all non premium players from joining the server regardless of which map is actually playing. If you run all 10 vanilla maps + 1 CR DLC map then even when the server is playing the vanilla maps non premium players cant join.

I can't believe for a second that this is as intended as its basically divided the playing community (even more than DLC). With each new implementation of DLC things seem to get worse and worse. Paid for DLC from a community POV is never a great idea but we understand the economics of why its required. Staggered or a hierarchical method of DLC access is even more damaging creating a "have", "have not" and a third "will have soon" group of players, all fragmented. To then even deny access to the non DLC content (original paid for) from people who aren't premium is taking things to far.

Is this a bug, can we get it fixed please.
Hamsterfodder
RU Enlisted: 2011-10-27
2013-12-05 10:09
My thoughts on this are the same , for anyone like myself who bought the ver that inc CR should of been given access to it at the same time , or are dice using the prem users as test subjects for bugs.
S7aIker
2013-12-05 10:18
Premium has its place for people who want to take the risk of the game being decent and potentially saving some money in the long term but that's really all there should be to it, the whole staggered access to DLC is incredibly damaging. I'm not naive enough though to think that, that will ever change because its carrot dangling, get prem get early access "go on, you know you want to". Its the fact that there is a mechanism in place which is actively preventing non premium players from even playing on non premium content that is the issue.

We used to complain and go mad because players without DLC would be kicked when a DLC map started to load, but even that is preferable to not being able to join the server at all!
PepPeronhi
Enlisted: 2011-10-26
2013-12-05 10:22 , edited 2013-12-05 10:25 by PepPeronhi
agreed. this is absolutely ridiculous. eventually there will be only a handful of servers left running no expansions at all. so if you don't buy any of the DLCs you're screwed big time. if it really remains that way I rather quit playing instead of buying premium or any of the DLCs unless I actually like what I get to see.
Terixeri
NL Enlisted: 2011-10-26
2013-12-05 10:24 , edited 2013-12-05 10:25 by Terixeri
In less then 2 weeks, this will run again no problem, until they decide to put out second assault I guess (which is a bigger issue , cause you have to buy that seperate if no premium)

Most of my favorite servers also changed to CR maps , or mixed maps, but I still can find game types/servers I want, with some searching the advanced browser.
S7aIker
2013-12-05 10:29
The effect is actually felt across premium and non premium players, for example some of my mates don't have premium so we cant game together on the server that we all pay for unless we completely remove the DLC maps until 17th December which negates the early access to DLC anyway.

The bigger issue is from the next DLC onwards, most people got CR free with the game but the next one (if this is an intended mechanic) will have far more damaging repercussions to both existing premium players and non premium players. It actually makes getting premium less attractive in many ways, if you can no longer game with your mates.
FTF-Jimbo
GB Enlisted: 2011-11-23
2013-12-05 12:48 , edited 2013-12-05 17:33 by FTF-Jimbo
S7alker has a good point I 100% agree with. I also run a clan & a server & we have the same problem. Because different people have different circumstances like some people can't afford 100+ bucks in such quick succession or are waiting to be able to actually play the game before they spend another penny on it (& it's not their PC at fault). It's the same with the BF3 server. It can be very distructive for clans & it's not fair to say they can only join the clan if they buy Premium.

I can actually remember when the 1st ever DLC came out for BF3, non Premium clan members were still able to play the vanilla maps, but when a DLC map came on, they were just kicked from the server, & then when that map finished & a vanilla map loaded, they were able to rejoin& play again. Then the 2nd BF3 DLC pack came out & it all changed. When I put the second DLC maps on the server, no non Premium members could get on the server at all.

I was really hoping it was going to change for BF4 but I guess It was too much to hope for. We have 5 members who got China Rising free with their BF4 purchase but when they tried yesterday to join our server on a vanilla map, non of them could get on after I put the China Rising maps on the rotation. I can understand not letting the Premium players on the maps until the release date, but at least still let them on the vanillas.

Come on. Please start thinking about pleasing your loyal customer fan base instead of how to keep filling your pockets. If it wasn't for your fan base, your pockets wouldn't be as full as from the "passing trade" so to speak. But you can't guarentee the "passing trade" will buy the next installment of BF, but your loyal fan base have been buying Battlefield titles for years. They are the ONLY people you can 100% guarentee will buy your next BF5 & BF6 etc. Alienating proper fans will only hurt sales.
Asus M5A99X EVO m/board, AMD FX-4170 quad-core ~ 4.2GHz, nVidia GeForce GTX970, 16GB RAM (8x2), HyperX RAM Cooler, Win 7 Ult 64-bit, Aerocool Strike-X 1100W Modular 80+ Gold PSU, Zalman Z9 Plus gaming case, 7x 120mm fans, NZXT Sentry Mesh fan controller
III_Grumak_III
Enlisted: 2011-10-28
2013-12-05 12:56
S7aIker said:
This has probably already been mentioned (sorry if this is the case). If you have a DLC map listed in your server map list then this prevents all non premium players from joining the server regardless of which map is actually playing. If you run all 10 vanilla maps + 1 CR DLC map then even when the server is playing the vanilla maps non premium players cant join.

I can't believe for a second that this is as intended as its basically divided the playing community (even more than DLC). With each new implementation of DLC things seem to get worse and worse. Paid for DLC from a community POV is never a great idea but we understand the economics of why its required. Staggered or a hierarchical method of DLC access is even more damaging creating a "have", "have not" and a third "will have soon" group of players, all fragmented. To then even deny access to the non DLC content (original paid for) from people who aren't premium is taking things to far.

Is this a bug, can we get it fixed please.

I have premium myself and that means CR. I totaly agree, seperating the player base with this hurts the game and the community as a whole - regardless of premium, or non-premium.
99 little bugs in the code, 99 little bugs - you take one down, patch it around 117 bugs in the code
S7aIker
2013-12-05 13:48 , edited 2013-12-05 13:49 by S7aIker
Same here x_Grumak_x, premium owner who thinks this is madness however as I now understand it, its as intended. It seems that DICE have a real bee in their bonnet regarding people being kicked and it was felt that a better method would be to simply in effect ban non premium players from a large volume of servers. Honestly if that's the case and DICE want to do that then do it on "official" servers where you get the "constant experience" but give us a vars option on "Ranked" otherwise I think lots of us who are hosting will probably have to remove the DLC maps until the 17th. Its the next one though that is more troublesome to me as a host.
Zeek98
US Enlisted: 2011-10-26
2013-12-05 13:51
not oly do they sell it to you saying you get more but theysay "be more" as well as if your better then everyone else because of it and you had the money to buy into the special club, i mean ffs the devolpers in trailers and such even said its a special club. that just rubs me the wrong way
maamyyra
FI Enlisted: 2011-11-18
2013-12-17 17:40 , edited 2013-12-17 17:42 by maamyyra
Yeah i noticed as well and it makes me angry. Now i cannot play on the server anymore...
Born in Mordor HQ - The home of DICE/EA mockers

Thread is locked.
Thread is locked.