High Fidelity sound card

tpnarratt
GB Enlisted: 2012-01-08
2012-06-15 23:42 , edited 2012-06-15 23:42 by tpnarratt
Hi Guys,

What sound card do you use? Would you recommend it? And why?
I'm trying to get some ideas, have around £200 budget.

P.S. Trolls, I'm not interested hearing your witticism that you use your on board one etc.
QKoori
CA Enlisted: 2011-10-27
2012-06-15 23:46
Not only the sound card, you should look at the headphone as well, without one, good sound card won't do any good and vice versa.
I'm using creative sound card, titanium something + Senheiser PC350 (modded), it gives you all the detail + explosion bass + the headphone actually shaking during some explosion if you're close enough.
covert_assasin
US Enlisted: 2011-10-25
2012-06-15 23:49
good headphones def are awsome!! You don't need to have a super expensive audio card. Just make sure it is compatible with games..especially BF3 and read reviews pertaining to this game before you buy it.

I had some headphones I bought myself for a birthday present this year but had to take them back:( I wish I had them.

Even with onboard or cheap creative soundcard it was really immersive..explosions were awsome..bullets were awsome..footsteps were awsome lol
everything was awsome!!
MossbergMaverick
US Enlisted: 2012-01-09
2012-06-15 23:52
Sound card won't help. All sound processing is done in software. This is why you hear something to the left, and it is actually to the right, because Dice can do sound better in software. This is also why sound randomly cuts out, and has gotten worse since the patch to fix footsteps. With Dice's fail sound, there is no reason to buy a sound card anymore. They think their failed software solution is better than all the hardware out there, which is why it's so buggy and sounds like crap. Of course, if you like your footsteps to sound like you're tap dancing on a stage with a microphone next to your feet, then their sound is good. If you like big booming explosions with extremely muddy sound, then their solution is great. If you enjoy the massive hit on your frame rates from software sound processing, then their solution is the best!

Thanks to Dice, the whole world of sound processing doesn't matter anymore! Nailed it!
Cheaters can all rot in hell for eternity.
SizroSpunkmire
CA Enlisted: 2011-10-25
2012-06-15 23:58
XD9mmFMJ said:
Sound card won't help. All sound processing is done in software. This is why you hear something to the left, and it is actually to the right, because Dice can do sound better in software. This is also why sound randomly cuts out, and has gotten worse since the patch to fix footsteps. With Dice's fail sound, there is no reason to buy a sound card anymore. They think their failed software solution is better than all the hardware out there, which is why it's so buggy and sounds like crap. Of course, if you like your footsteps to sound like you're tap dancing on a stage with a microphone next to your feet, then their sound is good. If you like big booming explosions with extremely muddy sound, then their solution is great. If you enjoy the massive hit on your frame rates from software sound processing, then their solution is the best!

Thanks to Dice, the whole world of sound processing doesn't matter anymore! Nailed it!


Uuuuuh I upgraded to dedicated audio a number of months ago and it made a HUGE difference in BF3. No clue what you're going on about.
tpnarratt
GB Enlisted: 2012-01-08
2012-06-16 00:08
I already own some audio technica ATH AD700 and Grado SR80i's...probably should of said that in my first post *Palm to Face*.
BUCKAR00_BANZAI
US Enlisted: 2011-10-24
2012-06-16 00:15
If you have a GPU that has an HDMI output you can use it with a home theater receiver, and it will sound just as good as anything else. also look into USB headphones instead, G35's are great.
BF1942 plus all expansions 110$, BF2 plus all expansions 110$, Bf3 plus all expansions 110$, BF4 plus all expansion 110$.
tpnarratt
GB Enlisted: 2012-01-08
2012-06-16 00:38
BuckarooBanzai9 said:
If you have a GPU that has an HDMI output you can use it with a home theater receiver, and it will sound just as good as anything else. also look into USB headphones instead, G35's are great.


Thank you for your suggestion but I would rather through my money down the drain than use usb headphones :) I'm looking for quality not crap.
Kibax
GB Enlisted: 2011-10-26
2012-06-16 00:41
Unless you're making music, a sound card is pretty pointless nowadays. Most motherboards have perfectly acceptable sound. Especially those aimed at gaming.
Battlefield Premium+ is required to view this signature.
BUCKAR00_BANZAI
US Enlisted: 2011-10-24
2012-06-16 01:03 , edited 2012-06-16 01:05 by BUCKAR00_BANZAI
tpnarratt said:
BuckarooBanzai9 said:
If you have a GPU that has an HDMI output you can use it with a home theater receiver, and it will sound just as good as anything else. also look into USB headphones instead, G35's are great.
Thank you for your suggestion but I would rather through my money down the drain than use usb headphones :) I'm looking for quality not crap.


sorry that you arnt aware of how good USB 2.0 headphones and USB 2.0 amps are capable of being, but whatever. your loss.

<---audiophile with 7.1 home theater and sold $10,000+ home theater systems for a living.
BF1942 plus all expansions 110$, BF2 plus all expansions 110$, Bf3 plus all expansions 110$, BF4 plus all expansion 110$.
HAIL-DERPATRON
MC Enlisted: 2011-11-01
2012-06-16 01:49
Buy the DerpHD 3000 only €24.999,- , it will make you think twice before purchasing another audioset!!!
Derp trives on smartness, i drain my team of all their capabilities and leave the incompetence behind, hence why my team always loses :P
brucesmith
US Enlisted: 2011-10-26
2012-06-16 01:59
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826158051 [newegg.com]

i use these with the motherboard hd blah blah, soulnd good enough for me.
peg_em
US Enlisted: 2011-10-29
2012-06-16 02:09
XD9mmFMJ said:
Sound card won't help. All sound processing is done in software. This is why you hear something to the left, and it is actually to the right, because Dice can do sound better in software. This is also why sound randomly cuts out, and has gotten worse since the patch to fix footsteps. With Dice's fail sound, there is no reason to buy a sound card anymore. They think their failed software solution is better than all the hardware out there, which is why it's so buggy and sounds like crap. Of course, if you like your footsteps to sound like you're tap dancing on a stage with a microphone next to your feet, then their sound is good. If you like big booming explosions with extremely muddy sound, then their solution is great. If you enjoy the massive hit on your frame rates from software sound processing, then their solution is the best!

Thanks to Dice, the whole world of sound processing doesn't matter anymore! Nailed it!


Wth ? A good soundcard can be used for more then just gaming.Im using the x fi fatality headset. with a pcie extreme gamer card. All soundblaster stuff.

As far as hearing footsteps i can hear them fine,almost too loud.You must have something configured wrong if your sound is muddy and distorted.
wo0kie
US Enlisted: 2011-10-24
2012-06-16 02:10
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16829271006&Tpk=ht%20omega%20eclaro [newegg.com]
"Certified pros man, you fuckin' with some vets."
Gen_Chaos_KK
TJ Enlisted: 2011-10-25
2012-06-16 02:37
Soundblaster Recon 3D is the latest Creative card as far as I know. Fatal1ty version with front panel is under your budget if you want to go that route.
core1911
GB Enlisted: 2012-01-07
2012-06-16 02:46
I use the Xonar D2X. Whatever you buy, make sure it supports Dolby Digital Live and DTS Neo:PC so that it can encode 5.1 sound, as games do not natively output 5.1. Most expensive sound cards will support this.
covert_assasin
US Enlisted: 2011-10-25
2012-06-16 13:19
new mobos all have 7.1 and most high end have dolby digital built in which is really good. soundblaster cant use dolby digital without a 3rd party driver you need to buy.
tpnarratt
GB Enlisted: 2012-01-08
2012-06-16 14:51
tpnarratt said:
Hi Guys,

What sound card do you use? Would you recommend it? And why?
I'm trying to get some ideas, have around £200 budget.

P.S. Trolls, I'm not interested hearing your witticism that you use your on board one etc.


I'm off to HeadFi.org as it seems this forums is full of idiots.

Thank you to everyone who actually read my post and answered the question.
Bombdig
CA Enlisted: 2011-11-26
2012-06-16 14:56
Onboard is pretty dam good as long as you arent an audiophile... Crank that shit to 24bit 192,000hz, and i guarantee you wont be able to notice the diff between onboard and a dedicated sound card in quality... unless like i said, ur an audiophile, but in that case you should really just use Digital Out to a "Proper" audiophile grade amplifier.
Tz_arken
US Enlisted: 2011-10-25
2012-06-16 15:01
Pro tip: Digital =/= Analog

Doesn't matter what sound card you have the actual signal is the SAME quality when talking about digital. The only thing an expensive sound card is going to give you over the on board sound card is a cheapo amp.

Preparing for audiophile butthurt and unsupported claims.