Thread is locked.

Visual Recoil and How It Makes You Miss

DarkEtheereal
GB Enlisted: 2011-10-27
2014-03-11 18:02 , edited 2014-03-11 20:46 by DarkEtheereal
Ever get the feeling that you missed the target even though your sights were right over him? maybe you thought it was netcode or hit detection, but it could have been visual recoil screwing you over.

Visual recoil is the animations of your gun recoiling, which are separate to the actual camera recoil.
Visual recoil is purely visual, the position of your gun on screen has no effect on where your bullets go. Bullets always travel to the center of your screen (excluding spread and bullet drop).

Here is a video demonstrating visual recoil. The video was created by setting up a private unranked server and modifying the engine to disable all recoil accept visual recoil.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P59fqydGH-A [youtube.com]
The green cross shows the screen center.

The magnitude of the sway appears to be dependant on weapon stats, so some weapons with certain attachments may be more susceptible than others.
Clearly, if you rely on only the weapon sights, this could be having a major effect on your aiming.
There are of course ways around this, involving tape on the screen and such, but I think you'd agree that it'd be better if this effect was removed from the game entirely, or at least made so the sights are always on target when bullets are fired.

So if you don't like visual recoil, yell at Alan Kertz on twitter or something.

Source symthic thread: http://forum.symthic.com/battlefield-4-technical-discussion/7135-visual-recoil/ [forum.symthic.com]
Here is how it works, when we compare our K/Ds, we assume you ALREADY try to PTFO. It's just a given that if you don't PTFO you suck...
The-Stoney
CA Enlisted: 2011-10-25
2014-03-11 18:06
Or you could just not.. mag dump?
Rapid2196
GB Enlisted: 2014-02-21
2014-03-11 18:08
The-Stoney said:

Whether you make short bursts or hold the trigger down and empty the whole mag, visual recoil or 'bounce' is still a problem.
legoriffic
US Enlisted: 2011-11-08
2014-03-11 18:09
Rapid_eyed_recon said:
The-Stoney said:
Whether you make short bursts or hold the trigger down and empty the whole mag, visual recoil or 'bounce' is still a problem.

Particularly on BBQ variants.
Confirmed Destiny addict.
Rapid2196
2014-03-11 18:10
legoriffic said:
Rapid_eyed_recon said:
The-Stoney said:

I wish I understood what that meant Lego.
Sdric
Enlisted: 2011-10-27
I agree, this is a problem.
It got fixed for a few guns last patch, or at least improved.
But it still is an issue with others.
legoriffic
US Enlisted: 2011-11-08
Rapid_eyed_recon said:
legoriffic said:
Rapid_eyed_recon said:
The-Stoney said:
I wish I understood what that meant Lego.

Qbb 95, QBZ, etc. The Chinese weapons, basically.
Confirmed Destiny addict.
Goju_Ukot
US Enlisted: 2012-01-02
Interesting... Now how can I use this information to get women?
ghostflux
NL Enlisted: 2011-10-28
2014-03-11 18:11
The-Stoney said:

From a realism perspective and gameplay perspective this doesn't make sense. A scope is mounted on the rifle, so if you shoot the dot should always line up with where you're shooting as long as your gun is positioned correctly and you're looking through the scope properly. Of course in real life it may not be so easy to perfectly line up your eye with the scope at all times, but the way it works right now feels artificial and fake.
Don't bring up things like KDR and SPM when it's not relevant, because you've lost the argument the moment you do so.
renzuken
GB Enlisted: 2011-12-26
might explane why i suck with an LMG, thanks
Duz Miy enlish bugg yuw ?
THEDONALDdotWIN
US Enlisted: 2013-11-30
Many thanks DTH. I personally use a dry erase marker
Kitties vs Ducklings for my Heart. <3 MsStickySlutPanties and her Shawty. http://tinyurl.com/ka3llmr Sera was never quite the quietest girl - Her attacks are low and they're joyful.
IroquoisPlissken
Enlisted: 2011-11-29
2014-03-11 18:12
Bump
Rapid2196
2014-03-11 18:14 , edited 2014-03-11 18:14 by Rapid2196
Goju_Ukot said:
Interesting... Now how can I use this information to get women?

Tell them about it in great detail, then flash them your K/D. Works every time.
Goju_Ukot
2014-03-11 18:16
renzuken said:
might explane why i suck with an LMG, thanks

Yeah, same here. I'm pretty terrible with these. I'm fairly good with all other weapon sets but the LMG's are just giving me a hell of a time. With most other weapons I'm able to maintain a solid 18%+ accuracy with with LMG's I'm below 15% and just don't seem to have as easy of a time staying acquiring and staying on target. I think once I unlock all the basic LMG's, I'll switch to a carbine to unlock the rest.
Tremuto
AQ Enlisted: 2011-11-10
2014-03-11 18:18 , edited 2014-03-11 18:19 by Tremuto
OP I hope you don't mind that I added your thread to my own thread describing the issues Here. [battlelog.battlefield.com]

The visual recoil is cool and all, but it's stupid how it doesn't portray where your bullets go, and makes it confusing on what your shooting. DICE seriously either needs to nerf this bounce greatly or just remove it.
Just your friendly neighborhood Otter. Nyugh. Currently living.
Drunkenfield
US Enlisted: 2011-10-28
2014-03-11 18:18 , edited 2014-03-11 21:28 by Drunkenfield
I just don't see how anyone could think putting this crap in an FPS would be a good idea...
INohrellas
AT Enlisted: 2011-10-28
2014-03-11 18:26
Another bs mechanic that shouldn't be in the game......
J0siah
US Enlisted: 2011-10-24
2014-03-11 18:26
Could you link to the original Symthic post describing what's going on in the video? My experience has been the visual recoil has generally matched where the bullets fly (allowing for Frostbite's built-in deviation/spread). In other words, the "visual" recoil matches the "gun" recoil. The only instance where it's not really been accurate has been when using the bipod, as described in the video here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cerN1VNTDdc [youtube.com]
Member of Killzone Zero, a clan of mature adults who have been playing BF games for over a decade. www.killzonezero.com
Goju_Ukot
2014-03-11 18:34
J0siah said:
Could you link to the original Symthic post describing what's going on in the video? My experience has been the visual recoil has generally matched where the bullets fly (allowing for Frostbite's built-in deviation/spread). In other words, the &quot;visual&quot; recoil matches the &quot;gun&quot; recoil. The only instance where it's not really been accurate has been when using the bipod, as described in the video here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cerN1VNTDdc [youtube.com]

It looks like the ADS recoil isn't anywhere near where the bullets actually hit, at least at that very close range. I could see the spread being so great across much farther distance, but it looked completely off in the original video. That's very disappointing if true as I'd have no idea how to properly compensate for it.
J0siah
US Enlisted: 2011-10-24
2014-03-11 18:36 , edited 2014-03-11 18:36 by J0siah
Goju_Ukot said:
It looks like the ADS recoil isn't anywhere near where the bullets actually hit, at least at that very close range. I could see the spread being so great across much farther distance, but it looked completely off in the original video. That's very disappointing if true as I'd have no idea how to properly compensate for it.

By "Original Video" do you mean the one OP posted? Because that one has "gun" recoil disabled. Only the "visual" recoil is enabled.
Member of Killzone Zero, a clan of mature adults who have been playing BF games for over a decade. www.killzonezero.com

Thread is locked.
Thread is locked.